Playing Time for Jordan Yates

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think there is something to "growing into the job." Heavens, yesterday we had Penn State, somehow elevated to No. 4 in our NC hearts, with Franklin apparently feeling the pressure of expectations and for some inexplicable reason, going for it on 4th and goal from the five with still 12 minutes to play. Plenty of time to trust his defense and make up 12 points. He wilted, pure and simple, and despite his experience made a rookie mistake. Even in that air, there is a growth factor. It almost rivals playing a freshman for one inconsequential play. Maybe Yeager was right: the monster lives at that altitude.
Pressure makes normal men takes risks they normally wouldn’t take. I’m sure Franklin wanted a spot in the Top 4 so badly that he panicked instead of keeping his cool. Our coach is under similar pressures just different circumstances. He’s got the pressure from losing every week, he’s running a higher profile program than ever before & he’s trying to change an awfully lot of big things simultaneously. It’s certainly a big load.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What was so screwed up about playing the 2nd string, back-up quarterback when the starter was out?
Nothing if you were planning on playing him. We brought him in for 1 play. You get to play 4 games without burning your shirt. 1 play burns 1 game. You could literally play him 1 play each game for 5 games & burn his shirt if you wanted to. Let’s say JG gets hurt, Yates come in & lights it up. So good you never want to take him out again. Now you got him for 3 years & 4 games instead of 4 full years. It’s literally a no brainer. Someone on here said it took no brains to make that decision. It’s not that far off the mark.

I expect a coach to be prepared. Part of that is pre-thinking the what if’s so when the game is ongoing you are prepared. He should have had a handful of plays for Oliver practiced (a pass, a run, a 3rd & short, a 3rd & long, etc) in the event your starter was incapacitated for a brief time. Obviously if you have to have a back up play 2/3’s of the game that’s a different matter. In this case it was one damn play & it’s really absurd an armchair QB like me can figure it out & a $3M coach cannot. It’s not a good look and most unfortunately there’s parallels in other game day decision-making scenarios. I just hope he grows out of it.

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there is something to "growing into the job." Heavens, yesterday we had Penn State, somehow elevated to No. 4 in our NC hearts, with Franklin apparently feeling the pressure of expectations and for some inexplicable reason, going for it on 4th and goal from the five with still 12 minutes to play. Plenty of time to trust his defense and make up 12 points. He wilted, pure and simple, and despite his experience made a rookie mistake. Even in that air, there is a growth factor. It almost rivals playing a freshman for one inconsequential play. Maybe Yeager was right: the monster lives at that altitude.
And Skeptic has nailed it... I live in Nashville..ALL my people are Vandy guys...several are former players.....I've seen more Vandy games in person than Tech games over past 20 years...Franklin made Vandy competitive for 5 minutes because he was GREAT recruiter...but James was/is lousy game manager... My hope is that Geoff recruits like Franklin and grows into the role of D I head coach.....time will tell...Geoff has 3 years of results-free consequences....our schedule alone in 2020-22 is brutal..
Geoff wants to be here..he loves GT....I'm willing to give him 3-4 years...but it is not unfair to criticize, especially here among the GT family...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing if you were planning on playing him. We brought him in for 1 play. You get to play 4 games without burning your shirt. 1 play burns 1 game. You could literally play him 1 play each game for 5 games & burn his shirt if you wanted to. Let’s say JG gets hurt, Yates come in & lights it up. So good you never want to take him out again. Now you got him for 3 years & 4 games instead of 4 full years. It’s literally a no brainer. Someone on here said it took no brains to make that decision. It’s not that far off the mark.

I expect a coach to be prepared. Part of that is pre-thinking the what if’s so when the game is ongoing you are prepared. He should have had a handful of plays for Oliver practiced (a pass, a run, a 3rd & short, a 3rd & long, etc) in the event your starter was incapacitated for a brief time. Obviously if you have to have a back up play 2/3’s of the game that’s a different matter. In this case it was one damn play & it’s really absurd an armchair QB like me can figure it out & a $3M coach cannot. It’s not a good look and most unfortunately there’s parallels in other game day decision-making scenarios. I just hope he grows out of it.
Collins planned to redshirt Yates either way. Obviously, that's how it's played out, but I'm not talking hindsight. Lucas Johnson was coming back. In the worst case scenario that you're suggesting, we'd need both Graham and Johnson to go down permanently in the very next game in order for the redshirt to come into play.

To use the same logic you're presenting, they could run with Oliver one game or part of a game if necessary to preserve Yates redshirt in the doomsday scenario you offered. That doomsday hypothesis you're presenting seems so unlikely to me, which is why I'm not into blaming Collins on this one. To call this choking under pressure is almost exactly the opposite, imo. They followed the gameplan to win a game, one that would have been predetermined, and did not waver from it due to circumstance.

They knew they had a backstop of 3 more games to play him, which is only happening if convenient. Yates wasn't and isn't playing 4 meaningful games. He may not play a single meaningful game.

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins planned to redshirt Yates either way. Obviously, that's how it's played out, but I'm not talking hindsight. Lucas Johnson was coming back. In the worst case scenario that you're suggesting, we'd need both Graham and Johnson to go down permanently in the very next game in order for the redshirt to come into play.

To use the same logic you're presenting, they could run with Oliver one game or part of a game if necessary to preserve Yates redshirt in the doomsday scenario you offered. That doomsday hypothesis you're presenting seems so unlikely to me, which is why I'm not into blaming Collins on this one. To call this choking under pressure is almost exactly the opposite, imo. They followed the gameplan to win a game, one that would have been predetermined, and did not waver from it due to circumstance.

They knew they had a backstop of 3 more games to play him, which is only happening if convenient. Yates wasn't and isn't playing 4 meaningful games.
You wrote, "...they could run with Oliver one game or part of a game ...."
Yes, that is what Geoff should have done....JG gets hurt....Instead of Yates, let's go with only active ACC QB with a 200 yd rushing game to get the THREE yards ......
Or let's let a freshman, who has never played a damn down of college football come in cold off sideline to run what is, up to now, the only "part of a game" in which he has appeared....
Yates must not be part of Geoff's future plans.....if I was Yate's daddy, I'd be in transfer portal tonight...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You wrote, "...they could run with Oliver one game or part of a game ...."
Yes, that is what Geoff should have done....JG gets hurt....Instead of Yates, let's go with only active ACC QB with a 200 yd rushing game to get the THREE yards ......
Or let's let a freshman, who has never played a damn down of college football come in cold off sideline to run what is, up to now, the only "part of a game" in which he has appeared....
Yates must not be part of Geoff's future plans.....if I was Yate's daddy, I'd be in transfer portal tonight...
If the argument is whether Tobias should still be at QB, that is a different debate.

If the argument is that we should've run a different play for the 2 point conversion, one that does not require the back-up QB, that is a different argument.

If you're suggesting the coaches were risking burning his redshirt, I disagree for reasons I've already outlined. Yates wasn't and still isn't going to play in three more games unless they build a specific small package for him or it's a blowout. The next two games are unlikely to be the latter.

The coaches played the pre-determined, before the game, 2nd best option at QB for that play. He was going to come in cold no matter what whenever he plays in a game this year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
TY should play (come and run the show).... IF
1) we have the game wrapped up, ie. Mop up duty
2) if we're being slaughtered and gave zero chance to win, again i.e. mop up duty
Or
3) he gives us the best chance of victory for that game. Not next year or 2 years down the road.

Anything other is a disservice to the fans, the team and to TY.

If coach wants to trot him out as part of a "play" then that's fine too. But not to take over the QB spot for the sake of "next year".

Jolly Good Fellow
No..what I am suggesting that Tobias was a better choice at QB for that specific play...
Let us imagine that instead of being down 18 trying to get it to 16, we had been down 2 with no time left on the clock, trying to tie it up to go to OT....
Do you believe that Georgia Tech's best chance to convert this critical 2 pt play was a freshman who had never been in a game in his career?...or the warrior who beat VT last year ...?
Coaching, at least good coaching, is NOT "Oh well, send in whoever the back-up is...."
And, I have said previously that burning Yates's RS was irrelevant as Geoff does not see him as GT's QB of the future...

LibertyTurns

Banned
This whole discussion regarding Yates is idiotic. You either get it or you don’t. After one explanation the light bulb should have come on. Now it either didn’t because some lack the capacity to assess 2nd, 3rd level effects or they just don’t want to flip the switch. Not being to assess potential follow on effects is fairly common, just a bit surprising given the suspected experience level on this board. Maybe I’ve overestimated?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This whole discussion regarding Yates is idiotic. You either get it or you don’t. After one explanation the light bulb should have come on. Now it either didn’t because some lack the capacity to assess 2nd, 3rd level effects or they just don’t want to flip the switch. Not being to assess potential follow on effects is fairly common, just a bit surprising given the suspected experience level on this board. Maybe I’ve overestimated?
Speaking for myself, I get your point. I think you're wrong and have explained why. But I won't take it to the extent of questioning your capacity of understanding the counterpoints. My perception is you value a consequence that I and others deem irrelevent. His redshirt isn't getting burned and there was and still is a safety net of 3 more games and 3 other QB options that will prevent it. See Pittsburgh and Lucas Johnson as example #1. He isn't going to play in 4 games this year, unless the games don't matter. In which case, he's not playing in #5. The coaches have proven that he was a back-up

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let’s say JG gets hurt, Yates come in & lights it up. So good you never want to take him out again. Now you got him for 3 years & 4 games instead of 4 full years. .

Then you don't play him except in 4 game and you have 4 full years. Problem ****ing solved. There was no reasonable situation where the coaching staff would have been forced to burn Yates' redshirt.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure why people would want to run a play with Tobias in that situation anyways. It would have been what. Over a month since he got any reps in as a qb? If Tobias fumbles the snap then people would be up in arms that it was foolish not to put in the person who gives us the best shot given they have actively been getting reps at QB when we have an additional 3 games he can play before burning a RS.

given everything that we could complain about this year. This is one I don’t get. This sounds like something you complain about if we are 9-0.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Are these game day decisions?

1. Hansen - under old rules he played in one game and now is a junior.

2. We put 5 true freshmen in on kick off at Usf against Olympic sprinter.

3. At pitt we had a fake punt where we hiked the ball to a defensive end.

I agree w u on the basics premise , but think u are drawing too extreme a conclusion.
CPJ had a veteran staff and became of it he didnt check the details. cgc is doing all kinds of recruiting/ branding and is new coach w new staff so he will make mistakes.

If cgc did 2 or 3 , how would u react? i assume pretty disappointed.
I drove 10 hrs to and from usf and am still disappointed in that decision.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
All this over one play in which the player to be named later was not even intended to be a factor and nobody can explain then why he was used, regardless of the redshirt. That is the heart of it. It makes no sense and cannot be made to make sense. It is hardly the Clemson model in which a 4th or 5th level walk-on QB will never get a chance to play a meaningful down, so they at least get him in a blowout game and now for the rest of his life he can say he played for Clemson. Otherwise it seems Tech's coaches were caught unprepared, and that is not good.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
All this over one play in which the player to be named later was not even intended to be a factor and nobody can explain then why he was used, regardless of the redshirt. That is the heart of it. It makes no sense and cannot be made to make sense. It is hardly the Clemson model in which a 4th or 5th level walk-on QB will never get a chance to play a meaningful down, so they at least get him in a blowout game and now for the rest of his life he can say he played for Clemson. Otherwise it seems Tech's coaches were caught unprepared, and that is not good.

it’s been explained, y’all just don’t want to accept the explanation. He was the backup QB thus next to go in

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I agree w u on the basics premise , but think u are drawing too extreme a conclusion.
CPJ had a veteran staff and became of it he didnt check the details. cgc is doing all kinds of recruiting/ branding and is new coach w new staff so he will make mistakes.

I thought Hanson was hurt

LibertyTurns

Banned

Yes.

Not familiar with the Hanson scenario but if we burned a year of eligibility over 1 game, not a smart move. When I get a chance I’ll look at the others but none are probably in the category of scarce commodities, ie QBs that can run an offense.

CPJ had issues getting plays in the burned his timeouts regularly. I criticized him, rightfully so for bad prep.

We have an extremely inexperienced coach AND staff. They need to spend more time on the basics. If that’s not apparent, well I really don’t know what to tell you.

Hey you can go without insurance and be happy as a clam. Until that day when your poor judgment screws you. You guys are apparently far more tolerant than I with newbies. I watch my newbies closely because there are times when you can’t always provide a safety net. If they are incapable or have bad judgment, it does not bode well. At some point one of the bad decisions is going to come home to roost. And we won’t like it one bit when it does.

Last edited: