Playing Time for Jordan Yates

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
yep, it is concerning that Yates doesn't show enough in practice to even get a SNIFF of time on a team that avg 10 pts a game on offense.(pathetic).Either he hasn't got it or they can't see it.Either is NOT good.

Huh? Plenty of great QBs werent ready to play as true freshmen and never got a single snap their first year.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
What I don’t get, with all this talk of roster management and better recruiting is why there is zero talk/news about qb recruiting?

It’s obvious our 3 QBs are not a good fit for our offense (that is southern polite speak. before everyone has a cow, yes they are great athletes, good young men and I support them for their efforts). That leaves Yates and Gleason. So if we take this roster management thing seriously, we realistically have 2 possible P5 QBs on the roster. Why aren’t we hearing anything about all the QBs the staff is chasing? Not even transfer portal rumors.

We HAVE to upgrade here. OL and DT are the other dire needs. It looks like OL is being addresses in recruiting. No outright DTs on the board but some DEs that maybe could fill out.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope to see Yates play. I am a perennial backup QB guy. In fact, I'm a perennial bring in the backup at any position if the backup may be as good or has potential to be a future starter.

I'd like to see Yates to get him some real experience and see how he responds to pressure in the pocket, accuracy of throws and running ability at this level. We aren't going to a bowl, so play for development.

Under CPJ, I mainly thought we needed to bring in the backup a lot more to share the wear and tear on the starter. Our starter was almost always pretty banged up midway into the season.

Thats not the case now. We have guys who haven't thrown accurately, receivers who let the ball bounce off their hands and OL that don't block so escapability is at a premium. Our entire offense was built on run first and run second and pass third to set up the run. It's going to take time to fix that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Plenty of great QBs werent ready to play as true freshmen and never got a single snap their first year.
Don't think that was his point, which seems to me that if he can't get on the field with that crew ahead of him, and with the new four-game redshirt rule in effect, then there must be a reason, and maybe Collins' obtuseness isn't it. Maybe he just can't play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JG is still learning how to manage the offense at this level. There are times he needs to take the 6 to ten yard gain and not go for the home run so much. Or throw it away when covered. He really wants to go to Brown as much as possible. Not bad if he has time to deliver with single coverage.
He can’t throw 6 to 10 yards accurately.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't think that was his point, which seems to me that if he can't get on the field with that crew ahead of him, and with the new four-game redshirt rule in effect, then there must be a reason, and maybe Collins' obtuseness isn't it. Maybe he just can't play.
If he’s not better than what we are trotting out there now, we are in deep Doo Doo.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Coach ain't a dumb butt. He and his program will be judged on the next 3-4 seasons, not this year. It's a process and losing a year of Yates eligibility in this season would be absolutely stupid.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He hasn’t consistently thrown 6 to 10 yards accurately in some games.

FIFY. He probably can, just hasn't always. Especially in the Pitt game. Maybe hurt or just bad day. Time for the backup (beat dead horse) in that case. Screw his ego or psyche, if it is so easily damaged he has other problems. Failure is part of the process of learning.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Coach ain't a dumb butt. He and his program will be judged on the next 3-4 seasons, not this year. It's a process and losing a year of Yates eligibility in this season would be absolutely stupid.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Ah, he had/has four games free. I am not about calling anybody stupid, but if he can't take advantage of a rule every college coach in America take advantage of, well.

bos

Helluva Engineer
yep, it is concerning that Yates doesn't show enough in practice to even get a SNIFF of time on a team that avg 10 pts a game on offense.(pathetic).Either he hasn't got it or they can't see it.Either is NOT good.

It's not concerning at all. He's a freshman QB and wasn't prioritized over the experienced guys on the team. My take is that the coaches were hoping one of the 3 guys above him breaks away from the pact. They gave them all the playing time to do so. This late in the season it's best not to burn Yates redshirt and save him for the last few games and see what he does. Which is exactly what the coaches are doing.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm all for debating Yates playing time this year, but the likelihood and redshirt consequences are fairly straightforward, imo.

1) Likelihood - perhaps this was said somewhere in the thread, but if you watch and listen to Ken's question to CDP in the presser, I think it's cut and dried that Yates is only going to play if convenient. In other words, don't expect a lot of snaps unless 1) LJ is deemed unhealthy to play and 2) the game gets out of hand. He said snaps for JG are a priority as well.

2) Redshirt consequences - His redshirt is not getting burned, and he's not going to lose a game of PT due to the Duke game. The VT and NC State games are projected to be close games, and we might be favored in the latter, so there's unlikely an opportunity in those games for mop-up duty, and way more unlikely that garbage time happens in both. Push comes to shove, you can pretty much guarantee Tobias or LJ will come in to preserve Yates' redshirt at this point. This is roster management, and if the coaches are truly high on Yates, they know better than to play him sporadically in 5 games in a meaningless season.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Ah, he had/has four games free. I am not about calling anybody stupid, but if he can't take advantage of a rule every college coach in America take advantage of, well.
It’s frustrating reading some of the comments on here. The Yates come in for 1 play 2pt conversion was idiotic & there’s still a small Army of people on here trying to explain the genius behind it. It was a dumb move, is a dumb move and will be a dumb move tomorrow and every day after that. CGC just needs to learn the basics & grow into the job. There really isn;t much more to it than that.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Hate and hurts to say but Graham is going to switch positions or transfer next year. Imo Gleason and Yates are on another level.

I think you have the right answer to the discussion here, I never have thought Graham was going to be the final answer to our QB position, if he proves me wrong then that is great 'cause he will be doing some consistent great work with few mistakes and winning us lots of ball games.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It’s frustrating reading some of the comments on here. The Yates come in for 1 play 2pt conversion was idiotic & there’s still a small Army of people on here trying to explain the genius behind it. It was a dumb move, is a dumb move and will be a dumb move tomorrow and every day after that. CGC just needs to learn the basics & grow into the job. There really isn;t much more to it than that.

I havent seen anyone claim it was genius, just that it wasnt a big deal. Yates' redshirt is officially safe.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think there is something to "growing into the job." Heavens, yesterday we had Penn State, somehow elevated to No. 4 in our NC hearts, with Franklin apparently feeling the pressure of expectations and for some inexplicable reason, going for it on 4th and goal from the five with still 12 minutes to play. Plenty of time to trust his defense and make up 12 points. He wilted, pure and simple, and despite his experience made a rookie mistake. Even in that air, there is a growth factor. It almost rivals playing a freshman for one inconsequential play. Maybe Yeager was right: the monster lives at that altitude.