Playing Time for Jordan Yates

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I think QB is wide open going into next year. Graham has shown some promise, but he's still a good long ways from even being an average P5 QB. Techster made a great point about the accuracy. Even though our Oline hasn't done him any favors, he is completing passes at a Taquon-like rate. From what I've seen, Yates can be pretty accurate, even though he may not have the same zip that Graham does. We will just have to wait and see.

Did Godsey EVER throw a ball with “zip” on it? He just delivered it where it needed to be, when it needed to be there.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I hear ya, but it isn't like there is any film on Yates in our offense. As for Graham, I don't think we want him thinking he's got the job wrapped up going into next year.
Graham has to know he will have to win the job next year knowing that Gleason is coming and seeing Yates at practice.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The one play was a dumb move, it's over so we need to work around it. Remember Yates was behind the 8 ball others had spring practice and workouts in the summer.
They didn't put him in for one play. Graham was hurting and they could not know if he would be able to play when they had to make quick decision.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ahhhh, the inevitable annual backup QB thread....what would we do without it?

To a point, this is true. I think the real debate here isn't that Yates needs to start, but rather that he needs to see some action on the field this year as a part of his development.

Also, we are a little unique in the QB situation this year. We don't currently have a QB on the roster recruited with our new offense in mind. The very fact that CPJ was able to secure the commitment of Yates and that CGC convinced him to stay was IMO a huge early recruiting win. So in that sense, it makes absolute sense that many are looking forward to his debut.

As a cautionary warning, I'd not judge too harshly on his PT this season, but he needs to come on strong in the spring if he wants a crack at the starting job. He may end up being a bust. A lot of QBs are, but I have hope that he can turn it on next year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We got Yates (from what I've heard) because everybody else looked at him and thought he was too short to play QB in a conventional spread. Paul looked at him, saw Ricky Dobbs, and went after him hard. Then Yates had a breakout senior year and all of a sudden looked like Russell Wilson. Collins saw that and, while not enthusiastic, worked hard to keep him; it was too late to find another QB. Now we'll have to see if Yates gets his chance or whether the coaches have a height/weight fetish instead of a performance one. I hope it's the later and I think it is; there's been no reason to play Yates and he needs the extra time to get up to speed, just like most QBs do.

I do think that Yates can be a killer in any offense. The level of talent he showed in high school was very impressive. Now we'll get to see what he has. It should be fun to watch.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
JG is still learning how to manage the offense at this level. There are times he needs to take the 6 to ten yard gain and not go for the home run so much. Or throw it away when covered. He really wants to go to Brown as much as possible. Not bad if he has time to deliver with single coverage.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hindsight is always 20/20. They were trying to win a football game and 2 points meant a lot at that point in the game.

Not asking for hindsight, just a little foresight. They presumably knew LJ was unavailable (but why did he dress?) and should have anticipated what would happen if JG got hurt. An basic analysis of what type of situation would call for Yates vs. TO should have been already done before the game. Instead, we got a decision obviously made in the moment with no regard for the big picture. Second, I'm not sure a 16 v. 17 v. 18 point deficit in the fourth quarter was really a pivotal moment in the game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ahhhh, the inevitable annual backup QB thread....what would we do without it?

It is an endless cycle. When TO was playing the best thing was to use LJ or JG according to the forums. When LJ was playing the best thing was to use JG according to the forums. While JG is playing the best thing is to put in Yates. When Yates gets in everyone will be looking forward to Gleason. When Gleason gets in everyone will be looking forward to the next guy.

It doesn't even take a lot. One missed throw, one missed read, or one missed cut on a run is enough for the crowd to believe that the backup is much better than the current QB. It has been happening at GT for a long time. It has been happening at most schools for a long time also.