Playing Time for Jordan Yates

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope LJ is healthy and gets a shot with the improved oline play. He is by far the best QB but he has to make decisions faster.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just thinks it’s dumb to announce our True Frosh QB is going to get meaningful playing time. Hurts Graham confidence and shows our hand.

Well, you wouldn't want to wait and spring it on him at game time, would you? May as well let everyone know up front, seems to me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hate and hurts to say but Graham is going to switch positions or transfer next year. Imo Gleason and Yates are on another level.

I'm saying this as a guy that was extremely high on Yates as a recruit, and I'm still high on Yates as our QB, but if Yates is on another level, he'd be playing. I highly doubt the coaches are holding him and the team back from potential wins for some obscure reason.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm saying this as a guy that was extremely high on Yates as a recruit, and I'm still high on Yates as our QB, but if Yates is on another level, he'd be playing. I highly doubt the coaches are holding him and the team back from potential wins for some obscure reason.

Maybe they want to redshirt him (I know, so why did they put him in for one play against Duke?). But maybe they're saving him for a sunnier day. Just sayin'...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe they’re making sure we don’t get to 6 wins and a bowl game?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Maybe they want to redshirt him (I know, so why did they put him in for one play against Duke?). But maybe they're saving him for a sunnier day. Just sayin'...
The one play was a dumb move, it's over so we need to work around it. Remember Yates was behind the 8 ball others had spring practice and workouts in the summer.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Helmet to helmet hit. Haven't heard but wouldn't be surprised if it was a concussion.

Article indicates he had an apparent upper-body injury. I would think the staff will keep the specifics of a possible injury quiet. Who knows, Yates may be the #2 QB this week if LJ is out.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
The one play was a dumb move, it's over so we need to work around it. Remember Yates was behind the 8 ball others had spring practice and workouts in the summer.

How was it a dumb move? Graham was injured on the prior play and Yates was the next QB up that week as he was #2 (LJ was still injured).

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Coming in the spring hurt him, no one around him could take him under their wing as everyone was learning the new offense. I think it’s a 2 horse race next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

They are playing other REALLY good freshmen at positions of less need (Demetrius Knight for one), so I highly doubt they're "saving" Yates for the future. This staff would make a bigger statement if we won games now as opposed to winning later.

My point is, if Yates is "on another level", don't you think CGC and Patenaude would love to showcase their offense with a QB that can make it hum, and we would be winning more games.

Honestly, at this point, I'd give Yates a healthy dose of PT for the next three games and sit him against uga. It's obvious TO's days as QB are numbered, and LJ doesn't seem to be making any real traction in winning more PT, so getting the QB of the future ready should be a priority. (With the possible exception being if we are close/winning against NCSU)

We've already sacrificed this season on the alter of rebuilding, so we may as well try and prepare the best QB on the roster to take over this offense.
The problem with giving him a healthy dose of PT for the next 3 games and then sitting him against the mutts is what if that healthy dose proves he's ready now? Do we still sit him against the mutts or do we burn his redshirt in hopes he can do something great in that game. That would not be a problem, obviously, if the coaches hadn't stupidly used him for ONE play already. So, I would say give him significant PT in 2 of the next 3 games so that he can be available against the mutts if needed, or if he proves to be great.

In the end, JGs confidence will have to adjust being passed on the ATL PT matrix or whatever you call the non-depth chart we have. Same as LJ had to deal with when he was passed. If Graham has "bought in" to the ATL juice system we're currently running with our elite athletes, then he should be okay with an ATL Yates getting some snaps to learn the system.

In all seriousness, Graham has to know that unless he gets a lot better really fast Yates is going to pass him next year. I see CDP talking about it as reaching out to the fans and saying something like "We know you've been disappointed in the QB play, but we've got a 4* DT QB on our bench learning our system from scratch. Be Patient."
So you think P'nut (or anybody on the staff) even gives a damn what the fans are saying? I sure don't think they do.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I hope LJ is healthy and gets a shot with the improved oline play. He is by far the best QB but he has to make decisions faster.

Have to disagree. With our blocking (and it will not get better anytime soon) LJ makes a quick decision to vacate the pocket and he is not quick enough or elusive enough or powerful enough to avoid sacks. His timing on this team (with our pass blocking) is just unfortunate. Our best chance to win games now is with Oliver but the coaching staff does not want him long term so he is now out as QB. Graham is a TO QB and may/may not work out as a consistent passer. I hope Yates gets a 3 game shot to find out what he can do with our current blocking.

slugboy

Staff member
If he is out, don't we kinda need Yates to be ready to play? With Tobias all in as a WR, and Graham still learning, if LJ is hurt, who else is there?

We should always have at least two QBs ready to play. I think Graham is still going to get the majority of the snaps, if not all or almost all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Agreed, but I don't think it's illogical to think that Yates' potential upside might be on another level, but he simply hasn't learned enough of the offense until now. Not coming in early, I thought he might be ready to play by mid season, but obviously it took a little longer.

So just a curious question. Why would you all think Yates would be the answer. Now he has yet to play and he may turn out to be good.......but remember.....he is a CPJ recruit recruited to play in CPJs offense. Not a drop back passer or what ever our new offense is.