Playing Time for Jordan Yates

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How was it a dumb move? Graham was injured on the prior play and Yates was the next QB up that week as he was #2 (LJ was still injured).
This is exactly why it was dumb move. Blindly following the non-existent depth chart without regard for the bigger picture and larger ramifications, particularly when it was for a single play.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The one play was a dumb move, it's over so we need to work around it. Remember Yates was behind the 8 ball others had spring practice and workouts in the summer.

Yeah, another reason Yates hasn't played (except for the one dumb play) is he may have just not been ready up to this point.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So just a curious question. Why would you all think Yates would be the answer. Now he has yet to play and he may turn out to be good.......but remember.....he is a CPJ recruit recruited to play in CPJs offense. Not a drop back passer or what ever our new offense is.

Nobody knows. But he might be. If he can run and throw I'm sure he can drop back.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They are playing other REALLY good freshmen at positions of less need (Demetrius Knight for one), so I highly doubt they're "saving" Yates for the future. This staff would make a bigger statement if we won games now as opposed to winning later.

My point is, if Yates is "on another level", don't you think CGC and Patenaude would love to showcase their offense with a QB that can make it hum, and we would be winning more games.

I was told that the plan for Yates all along was to redshirt him unless he clearly won out in the summer, which he didn't, and being a brand new freshman on campus, that's not shocking. Apparently he's been developing quite wel,l and there was consideration to play him, but the season is shot so the staff made the decision to redshirt him for sure.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So just a curious question. Why would you all think Yates would be the answer. Now he has yet to play and he may turn out to be good.......but remember.....he is a CPJ recruit recruited to play in CPJs offense. Not a drop back passer or what ever our new offense is.

Yates was rated as a 4* DT QB, not an ATH, as so many of our QBs under CPJ. Had he played under CPJ I would have been giddy at the carnage he could have wrought. As it is, Yates is the single best QB CPJ recruited (as a recruit) and it's fortunate we signed him considering the offensive change.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
They are playing other REALLY good freshmen at positions of less need (Demetrius Knight for one), so I highly doubt they're "saving" Yates for the future. This staff would make a bigger statement if we won games now as opposed to winning later.

My point is, if Yates is "on another level", don't you think CGC and Patenaude would love to showcase their offense with a QB that can make it hum, and we would be winning more games.

But playing Yates wouldn't mean winning more games now. Even good freshmen are still freshmen and their is a big difference between a freshman getting time at RB or LB and at QB. We aren't just a QB away from having a humming offense. We have a terrible OL, a weak WR group, and a weak TE group. There is no point in burning a redshirt of a QB so he can play in that situation.

Yes, they would love to have a humming offense and win more games. But it'll take more than just improved QB play to make that happen.

But playing Yates wouldn't mean winning more games now. Even good freshmen are still freshmen and their is a big difference between a freshman getting time at RB or LB and at QB. We aren't just a QB away from having a humming offense. We have a terrible OL, a weak WR group, and a weak TE group. There is no point in burning a redshirt of a QB so he can play in that situation.

Yes, they would love to have a humming offense and win more games. But it'll take more than just improved QB play to make that happen.

I believe other than Oliver, all of our current starting QBs are basically Freshmen. LJ has never played College Ball and Graham is playing for the first time in the position. It must be that Yates has not moved the needle.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
In the end, JGs confidence will have to adjust being passed on the ATL PT matrix or whatever you call the non-depth chart we have. Same as LJ had to deal with when he was passed. If Graham has "bought in" to the ATL juice system we're currently running with our elite athletes, then he should be okay with an ATL Yates getting some snaps to learn the system.

In all seriousness, Graham has to know that unless he gets a lot better really fast Yates is going to pass him next year. I see CDP talking about it as reaching out to the fans and saying something like "We know you've been disappointed in the QB play, but we've got a 4* DT QB on our bench learning our system from scratch. Be Patient."

I’m not convinced Yates would pass Graham. What evidence you have of that? Gleason will probably have just as great a chance to start next season as anyone, but they all will have to beat Graham out.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Yates was rated as a 4* DT QB, not an ATH, as so many of our QBs under CPJ. Had he played under CPJ I would have been giddy at the carnage he could have wrought. As it is, Yates is the single best QB CPJ recruited (as a recruit) and it's fortunate we signed him considering the offensive change.

Yates didn’t have another P5 offer at qb, no big deal, but even from watching Yates play it’s not like he was a passing machine.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have a terrible OL, a weak WR group, and a weak TE group. There is no point in burning a redshirt of a QB so he can play in that situation.

I think our WR group might be better than you think. I have seen them wide open on quite a few instances but unable to get them the ball due to pressure and/or inaccurate passes. I think we are at least adequate at the position and might be pleasantly surprised if a few other things were fixed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m not convinced Yates would pass Graham. What evidence you have of that? Gleason will probably have just as great a chance to start next season as anyone, but they all will have to beat Graham out.

Several things, actually. For one, I have a friend who works for the GTAA. The same friend that told me prior to game one that there was a package with Graham and TO on the field at the same time told me that Yates is developing well, and has been running off and on with the 2s for a bit now at practice. I will continue to trust him, since he hasn't steered me wrong yet. Secondly, Graham is not lighting it up as a QB. He is not very accurate as a passer and does not go through his progressions at all. LJ is better at his progressions, but JG runs better, and since our OL is a hot mess, the ability to scramble is important right now. Finally, he was rated as a 4* QB, not athlete, by Rivals. Every indication is that Yates and/or Gleason will be given every opportunity to take the job this spring/summer. My friend indicated that the staff hopes Yates comes through and that they can RS Gleason next year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yates didn’t have another P5 offer at qb, no big deal, but even from watching Yates play it’s not like he was a passing machine.

I think QB is wide open going into next year. Graham has shown some promise, but he's still a good long ways from even being an average P5 QB. Techster made a great point about the accuracy. Even though our Oline hasn't done him any favors, he is completing passes at a Taquon-like rate. From what I've seen, Yates can be pretty accurate, even though he may not have the same zip that Graham does. We will just have to wait and see.

I think QB is wide open going into next year. Graham has shown some promise, but he's still a good long ways from even being an average P5 QB. Techster made a great point about the accuracy. Even though our Oline hasn't done him any favors, he is completing passes at a Taquon-like rate. From what I've seen, Yates can be pretty accurate, even though he may not have the same zip that Graham does. We will just have to wait and see.

LOL...I agree that QB is wide open and will be until or OC figures out what our offense actually is. Hard to pick a QB when you have no offense identity.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think our WR group might be better than you think. I have seen them wide open on quite a few instances but unable to get them the ball due to pressure and/or inaccurate passes. I think we are at least adequate at the position and might be pleasantly surprised if a few other things were fixed.

I don't think they are as bad as their numbers would indicate, because of other issues, but other than Brown I don't see anything particularly noteworthy about them. The way I view it is we lack a go to receiver, and while I like Brown in the slot, I think neither Carter nor Camp are #1 WR quality. Both are guys who would be serviceable with good OL and QB play and a #1 WR who would force the opponents best DB to guard them every time and sometimes also draw safety help. But as a whole we are lacking the true receiving threat that forces opponents to adjust what they want to do. I'm also lumping in TEs with them which doesn't help because our TE play this year has left a good bit to be desired.