Player suspensions

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Short answer... YES. I want to look better that everyone else.
OK. Just wanted to check that, in the event the rules & rulings allow our players to only have to sit the 2 exhibitions and play against UCLA, something we have no idea to be the case, you prefer they sit longer and put us at a competitive disadvantage. Fully understood.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
OK. Just wanted to check that, in the event the rules & rulings allow our players to only have to sit the 2 exhibitions and play against UCLA, something we have no idea to be the case, you prefer they sit longer and put us at a competitive disadvantage. Fully understood.
Well you got me there. I do have no idea what they did...and therefore, what the proper punishment would be. I certainly can see broken rules resulting in a punishment that would not warrant being suspended for the UCLA (in this case). I'm not saying no matter what they did we have to have them sit for UCLA. The timing simply sets up to allow for plenty of room for criticism (maybe unjustified). It sucks we have guys failing to meet a standard...wish it weren't happening.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well you got me there. I do have no idea what they did...and therefore, what the proper punishment would be. I certainly can see broken rules resulting in a punishment that would not warrant being suspended for the UCLA (in this case). I'm not saying no matter what they did we have to have them sit for UCLA. The timing simply sets up to allow for plenty of room for criticism (maybe unjustified). It sucks we have guys failing to meet a standard...wish it weren't happening.

Criticized by the AJC? ESPN? Other fan bases? Screw them.

A couple of players made a mistake. Possibly entrapped, but they still made an error in judgment. It came to light & self-reported before it could get worse. The discipline process is proceeding. It may or may not put us at a disadvantage in several regular season games. The players will then be back & the season will go on.

What other external parties think doesn't matter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Criticized by the AJC? ESPN? Other fan bases? Screw them.

A couple of players made a mistake. Possibly entrapped, but they still made an error in judgment. It came to light & self-reported before it could get worse. The discipline process is proceeding. It may or may not put us at a disadvantage in several regular season games. The players will then be back & the season will go on.

What other external parties think doesn't matter.

This is why I cringe when GT fans start making fun of athletes from other schools when they get suspended for doing something stupid. There are a lot of SAs at GT, and it's always hard to predict the minds of kids in college. Inevitably, a GT SA will get in trouble as well. Tough making fun of other school's SAs when our own SAs will eventually get in trouble.

...unless the SAs are from UNC or Duke. Those guys should be ridiculed regardless.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is why I cringe when GT fans start making fun of athletes from other schools when they get suspended for doing something stupid. There are a lot of SAs at GT, and it's always hard to predict the minds of kids in college. Inevitably, a GT SA will get in trouble as well. Tough making fun of other school's SAs when our own SAs will eventually get in trouble.

...unless the SAs are from UNC or Duke. Those guys should be ridiculed regardless.

I started typing up something similar. We live in a glass house, same as everyone else. It's all good & fun to poke fun at UGA football players getting arrested for smoking weed until Reuben Houston catches a charge for having a trunk full of weed to distribute.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm not specifically making any judgment on what our SA's did or did not do in this particular case.

However, if any of our opponents found some of its SAs guilty enough of something to punish them publicly... and that public punishment was to suspend them for 'exhibition' games only, would we consider that a 'nothing punishment'? We'll see what happens; but making a public statement about broken rules and suspensions that result in the SA making the critical season opener will not look too good IMO.

The circumstances surrounding this suspension are such that a suspension of this type is sufficient.

Jacketbacker17

Jolly Good Fellow
Is the announcement still expected today? I’m starting to feel as if there isn’t going to be one. Hopefully all of these people with “inside info” aren’t posing and really do have inside info.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is the announcement still expected today? I’m starting to feel as if there isn’t going to be one. Hopefully all of these people with “inside info” aren’t posing and really do have inside info.

Never heard of the late Friday afternoon news dump?

Also, have you read the basketball forum enough to see the trend in Jumpman's track record. It's pretty damn good.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Never heard of the late Friday afternoon news dump?

Also, have you read the basketball forum enough to see the trend in Jumpman's track record. It's pretty damn good.
Thank you @dtm1997. I only post things that I have verified from staff members or people very close to staff members. I’m not here for accolades or trying to rush to beat someone to a scoop. I’m not sure why someone would question my info and allude to me being a poser? It’s funny how bad news brings the football guys out to the basketball board. If they stick around they’ll see that I’m legit. If they doubt me then they can just put me on ignore.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Thank you @dtm1997. I only post things that I have verified from staff members or people very close to staff members. I’m not here for accolades or trying to rush to beat someone to a scoop. I’m not sure why someone would question my info and allude to me being a poser? It’s funny how bad news brings the football guys out to the basketball board. If they stick around they’ll see that I’m legit. If they doubt me then they can just put me on ignore.
Why are there "football guys" and basketball guys? We are all fans of Tech sports, no need for nuanced division. Other than than, I appreciate your insight into the program.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Why are there "football guys" and basketball guys? We are all fans of Tech sports, no need for nuanced division. Other than than, I appreciate your insight into the program.
By that I mean fans who usually hang out in the football board and rarely post on the basketball board. Not really meant to start a war or cause division. It’s just that I’m seeing more than the usual fonts who post over here commenting on the negative but haven’t seen them commenting on the positives. Thank you for your appreciation of my insight. I try to share all that I am allowed to share.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Some people are GT fans now that basketball is on an upswing again. Plenty of people truly abandoned the program prior to this past season and it wasn't a recent abandonment.

I may religiously watch GT football, follow how football recruiting is going from a distance, but as a GT fan, I'm still a basketball guy.