Pittsburgh

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
With our 2-2 week so far, we've dropped 17 spots in the RPI, from 25 to 42. Definitely need the series win tomorrow.
19 strike outs on offense. I can’t figure this team out. Most of us thought the offense would carry us and some days it does, but other days against “ordinary” pitching, we get this. At one point their reliever had struck out 8 of the 11 he had faced?? Some of it can be explained by injuries to the guys at the bottom of the line up. Third was also a question mark coming in. But days like yesterday it way everybody.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
19 strike outs on offense. I can’t figure this team out. Most of us thought the offense would carry us and some days it does, but other days against “ordinary” pitching, we get this. At one point their reliever had struck out 8 of the 11 he had faced?? Some of it can be explained by injuries to the guys at the bottom of the line up. Third was also a question mark coming in. But days like yesterday it way everybody.
The lack of offense (lately)...even in our wins... is a concern. HRs are making up for some pretty shaky ABs & inability to string together hits & walks to score the way good teams do.

One glaring question... why not Guldberg? Albeit limited time... his numbers would significantly improve the lineup offensively.

Deleted member 2897

A last inning win and a last inning loss. Even on the road, I’m not sure we should be struggling with Pitt.

That said, if we can win the series, that is nothing to be upset about, and would be our 4th straight series win.

Last edited by a moderator:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
We are better than we were last year & (generally) seem to have fixed some of the things that made this team maddening to watch last year. However, I don’t see us as consistent enough to string together a bunch of wins that would be necessary to make any type of deep post season run. I hope I am wrong and we can overcome the inconsistency.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
The lack of offense (lately)...even in our wins... is a concern. HRs are making up for some pretty shaky ABs & inability to string together hits & walks to score the way good teams do.

One glaring question... why not Guldberg? Albeit limited time... his numbers would significantly improve the lineup offensively.
From comments made during games I attended ,Goldberg is stronger at bat but not there yet in the field . Others are stronger in defense. We have several good DH hitters this year so his playing Team

LibertyTurns

Banned
From comments made during games I attended ,Goldberg is stronger at bat but not there yet in the field . Others are stronger in defense. We have several good DH hitters this year so his playing Team
How good a defense do you need against a guy batting .172? It’s amazing a guy like that ever even hits the ball against better than mediocre pitching.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
CF Wilhite is hitting closer to .150. Our bottom three in the lineup was o for 17 in the game. The top three were not much better. Pitt's pitching was outstanding. We need to get another closer, Datoc's confidence is shot and it scares me to death when wee put him in. Sorry for the kid, but we need wins badly.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
14 innings yesterday & 11am start today. Gotta think McCann will catch giving Bart a break. So Bart at DH (for Wilhite). English pitching (& batting).

How does that work when English comes off mound (hopefully LATE in game)? What are the options?

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Guldberg has a throwing arm issue so he can’t play in the field right now. To get his bat in the lineup, he could only play DH which belongs to English at this point.

I’m serious when I say that surely Serratos or Waddell could be a serviceable OF defensively and at this point seem to give us a better option as a hitter. N. Wilhite provides excellent defense, Hall is average in the field. Neither is doing anything at the plate...

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
14 innings yesterday & 11am start today. Gotta think McCann will catch giving Bart a break. So Bart at DH (for Wilhite). English pitching (& batting).

How does that work when English comes of mound (hopefully LATE in game)? What are the options?
And that has to put Serratos at 1B, right? I think the only option would be like the NL teams...gonna have to be smart with pinch hitters and possibly double switches. Unless there’s some rule that might allow English to take the DH spot when he comes out and we put Bart at C and McCann at 1B?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
And that has to put Serratos at 1B, right? I think the only option would be like the NL teams...gonna have to be smart with pinch hitters and possibly double switches. Unless there’s some rule that might allow English to take the DH spot when he comes out and we put Bart at C and McCann at 1B?
There is a rule for that in college. CDH has done that and on the lineup card, it will say P/DH.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
A last inning win and a last inning loss. Even on the road, I’m not sure we should be struggling with Pitt.

That said, if we can win the series, that is nothing to be upset about, and would be our 4th straight series win.
I can kind of agree with this, but coming into the series, Pitt was 6-9 in the ACC. I believe that the only series that they were swept in was a road series, so they have won at least 1 game in every home series.