Pittsburgh

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
A trip to Pittsburgh. Always check weather first. Friday looks to be PERFECT weather. Perhaps a DH will be scheduled ahead of (some) rain forecast late Sat and Sun. All in all.. weather should be good for baseball.

Pitt could be the weakest ACC team on our schedule. Certainly.. the weakest we'll play on the road. Would be nice to sweep (not a crazy thought)... but gotta come away with a series road win. Pitt is 3-3 at home in the ACC so far. 1-2 v Duke and 2-1 v UVA.

Offense: Pitt is bottom to middle of ACC in all offensive categories. Biggest contrast is Ga Tech leads ACC in BA... Pitt is last.

Pitching: Team stats are more even; but I'd guess our weekend pitching numbers are better than theirs.

Defense: One thing they do well is field the ball... they are toward top of ACC in fielding percentage.

Hopefully... last night's loss to Ga State drove home the point (that should not be needed)... that we're not a team that can just partially show up to play and expect to beat anyone.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You're right - our weekend number are better than theirs. Pitt's ERA is worst in conference at 6.43, we're 5th-from-worst at 5.54.

We have the advantage, but not a huge one.
I don't have time to examine the starters' numbers, but my guess is that we have a big advantage with Curry, Thomas and English.....IF they can go deep and give us late leads to try to hold onto.

My confidence in our bullpen is eroding daily, especially as Archer is either losing some of his effectiveness lately either through overwork or scouting reports catching up to him. Datoc has been a surprise one way or the other all season...either great ...or surprisingly bad. Beyond those two, really frightening. I fear we'll blow a lead a la N C State in one of these games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't have time to examine the starters' numbers, but my guess is that we have a big advantage with Curry, Thomas and English.....IF they can go deep and give us late leads to try to hold onto.

My confidence in our bullpen is eroding daily, especially as Archer is either losing some of his effectiveness lately either through overwork or scouting reports catching up to him. Datoc has been a surprise one way or the other all season...either great ...or surprisingly bad. Beyond those two, really frightening. I fear we'll blow a lead a la N C State in one of these games.
It's a thrill investing (emotionally) into a "game" played by dudes that aren't even old enough to buy me a beer... should I want one.

...turns out... I want one.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I feel a little better about the pen after watching Carpenter, Winborne, and Mannelly pitch yesterday. Those guys definitely deserve more innings.

Edit: I forgot about Combs, he was good on Tuesday.

Deleted member 2897

You're right - our weekend number are better than theirs. Pitt's ERA is worst in conference at 6.43, we're 5th-from-worst at 5.54.

Yep. But putting hitting and pitching together combined, and it would predict in a perfect world (which doesn't exist) something like an 8-5 victory all 3 games. The key is trying not to win 12-2 but then lose one 8-7.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

This isn't exact for ERA and doesn't consider SOS (ours is harder than Pitt's) but makes the point that our pitching should be a lot better.

In the last 10 games, we have given up 23 runs = 2.3 runs per game.
In the last 10 games, Pitt has given up 59 runs = 5.9 runs per game.

SWEEP PLEASE!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about it... the more I swing back & forth. One moment... I think we'll score about 40 runs & give up only 5 over the whole weekend. Easy sweep....then I think about previous road series at places like ND or BC or even Pitt... where we barf on way to bathroom, slip in our own yak... & knock ourselves out on the side of the can. ...metaphorically, of course.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about it... the more I swing back & forth. One moment... I think we'll score about 40 runs & give up only 5 over the whole weekend. Easy sweep....then I think about previous road series at places like ND or BC or even Pitt... where we barf on way to bathroom, slip in our own yak... & knock ourselves out on the side of the can. ...metaphorically, of course.
:LOL:

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Yeah, it's a problem. Last year we got swept @ND, but 2015 hurt the most. We were 24-12 after a series win against eventual national champion Virginia and in the discussion for a regional host spot.

We then proceed to get swept at Boston College by a cumulative score of 11-1 on our way to a 8-11 finish with a mercy ruling to end it. I still wonder what that season could've been if it weren't for the @BC fiasco.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, it's a problem. Last year we got swept @ND, but 2015 hurt the most. We were 24-12 after a series win against eventual national champion Virginia and in the discussion for a regional host spot.

We then proceed to get swept at Boston College by a cumulative score of 11-1 on our way to a 8-11 finish with a mercy ruling to end it. I still wonder what that season could've been if it weren't for the @BC fiasco.

I think it is a problem for us. But also most other college teams. UVa has had it's ups and downs too. Ask UMCB or whoever.

We are going to win or lose the series based on our starting pitching is my guess. X comes out as ACC player of the week and we win. Connor pitches like last weekend and we win. English is healthy, nasty and in control and we win. Run support will be there in all likelihood for at least 4 runs a game.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I fear that if there are low scoring games, our bullpen will hit he panic mode in the later innings. I really hope I am totally off base with my fears.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Good news is that Murray is ok and has been cleared to play this weekend. I hope he can get over the mental hurdle of being hit in the head while in the box. Really need this kid in the lineup. He is a genuine D1 baseball player who does everything well and has a big effect on the outcome of a game.

Deleted member 2897

ITS GAME DAY GUYS AND GALS!

giphy.gif

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ok, someone ‘splain this to me....GT softball is @Putt this weekend too. They have changed their schedule to play a double header today. Rain is apparently in the forecast for Sat or Sun

So, why hasn’t baseball done the same? Is Pitt hoping these games get rained out? They skered of us???

Deleted member 2897

Ok, someone ‘splain this to me....GT softball is @Putt this weekend too. They have changed their schedule to play a double header today. Rain is apparently in the forecast for Sat or Sun

So, why hasn’t baseball done the same? Is Pitt hoping these games get rained out? They skered of us???

Softballs are bigger and have much more resistance in the rain. /ducks and runs...