Pittsburgh Postgame

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You can blame it on the fact we let Peterman sit in a pocket the size of the Gulf of Mexico for 8 seconds.
I agree we have no pass rush. If the D didn't like going for it on 4 and 1 I would tell them it was because they are too soft and if that pisses you off then start doing something about it next game and show me you can stop someone. ( guess I wouldn't be well liked)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So gtb you don't think playing a safety 15 yards off the line EVERY play is in any way effecting said performance

That time we brought a blitz from a lb (from like 10 yards off the ball at snap) and a db (from about 15 yards off the ball at snap) and it just kinda died in the wash at the LOS .... that was just yummy.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
So gtb you don't think playing a safety 15 yards off the line EVERY play is in any way effecting said performance

No, I agree with that. But I don't think every time that the player doesn't have the choice to come up and play more press coverage. I'm pretty sure ted and Paul have both said our CBS and safety's can choose to play press coverage. Our guys are scared to get burned deep so everyone gives a huge cushion.

Like I said, I am not excusing roof, he has a lot of blame himself. But there is a good chunk of plays where we just don't simply make the play. Whether it's a missed tackle, don't break up a pass, miss a rare sack running by the QB, don't keep containment / stay home, etc. ultimately it comes back to roof and PJ, but our guys also need to help out and make a play when it's available.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here's my analysis. I like to look at game from five points of view ... Field Position, Efficiency, Explosiveness, Turnovers, and Responding to Scores.

I still need data on FP, but the rest is actually ok. We lost the battle on Efficiency since we scored 0.89 points per minute vs. their 1.25 points per minute if you look at how well Pitt moved the ball. We matched them with a runback, which is nice, but you can't always count on those.

Explosiveness is generally yards/play. And we were in a dead heat ... 6.7 vs. 6.6. No advantage there.

Turnovers were +1 for us.

Responding to Pitt scores, we should have been more aggressive. However, we did run some nice 4th downs and except for the last one (which I don't agree with), we were in position to win.

I still see this game as one we lost ... mostly due to lack of a defense. I think CPJ needs to speak more about how he is going to fix that rather than than always talk about the offense.

The bigger issue is how are we going to improve on this? I don't know CPJ's management style, but he should have an After Action Review and ask his staff why they let a game they should have won get away.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
if one good thing can be said about our defense, it is that we held Conner in check. Although he didnt get as many carries as I expected, he was still pretty much a non-factor.

Lol ok. They basically all but left him out of the game plan.

While we were trying to keep him in check their H back (or whatever the hell you call him) was six yards past the line of scrimmage in the direct handoff before anyone noticed.

I didn't watch any Pitt film before this game, but I can't imagine that was a brand new package...yet somehow we looked like we didn't ever expect that guy to get the ball but on two or three plays in the entire game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This **** is annoying for me as it is for anyone. Entire family has been GT so losing is rough. I honestly don't know what to say. If I was coach, I go for it on 4th down for the same reasons. I don't think the D could do enough. Maybe they would have but based on 4 quarters they couldn't. We were up and got to a tie game on a fluke tip and score play... can't blame that on anyone... that just happens

I'm probably more aggravated than anyone. The phrases insults and names I've said during the course of this game should prob have me on some watch list but it's because I'm passionate about our team. I still believe we can make a bowl based on southern Duke and UVA (and UGA piss on em ).

I only wish we as fans could communicate to the players to not give up. Sometimes players don't make the plays you want or coaches fail but for the love of God they need to know we support them. You can hate roof or Paul or whoever all you want. But don't let them think we give up. Every week we should think we win out regardless of the record to this point. Let's ruin VT or UNC schedule.

At this point we are 0-0 until Thanksgiving weekend. That's how I'll judge this season from here on out.

Sure, I'll watch the rest of the games and hope for a bowl, but any chance at the division is out the window. And going 1-3 to start ACC play is pretty pathetic.

Beat Georgia and all is forgiven, lose and I'm not going to be a happy camper.

I know I sound like an idiot, but a bunch of beer and Crown can do that to someone. So I'll backtrack with a caveat...

Our team should flat out be better than this. 7-5 and I probabyl get optimistic. 6-6 or worse and I will really start to question the direction and health of our program, as I'm not sure how next year looks any better...

I hate to put it that way, but it's just where I am right now.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you are saying but do you really think that defense was going to keep them out of field goal range? I would have gone for it too unless you have a center running down to block a safety when you only need a yard. What was he thinking? Just a really gut wrenching and frustrating loss.

No. But I also didn't have faith in our offense to score even if we picked up the first down.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't see that happening this team will not quit. We just need the D to stop playing soft.
Sorry I've seen a lot of quit in this team. Even when they went up 7 they just looked like they knew Pitt was going to score. It's easy for CPJ to lose a team when there is no leader on the team to place the responsibility on the players themselves. Right now it looks like the players want to blame the coach.

Probably from me. I loved the call up the middle there. Not a fan of pussyfooting around when you need 1 yard.
I didn't have a problem with the call either. He only missed it by an inch. Sure we didn't get that inch, but there is no way of knowing that a different call would have produced that extra inch. The runner could have been stopped behind the line.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't have a problem with the call either. He only missed it by an inch. Sure we didn't get that inch, but there is no way of knowing that a different call would have produced that extra inch. The runner could have been stopped behind the line.
I just wish we didn't run it right at their biggest DL we struggled blocking most of the day.