Pittsburgh Postgame

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Agree on Simmons. He shouldn't come off the field unless he needs a breather. Same with Gamble. Outside of that, I would have guys rotating until somebody started making plays. I wasn't watching that closely, but did Adams even play? What was the point of burning his shirt? To get a 4th down stop against MERCER!? Play the kid. Who cares if he makes mistakes? Our defense is terrible anyways. Same goes for the young LB's and secondary guys. Let them play. We are going to give up 6-10 YPP anyways. Let them face some live bullets.

As for the 4th down call. If we would've run off tackle, I would've been more okay with it. We went unbalanced line then ran it right off Freddie's right hip. Someone mentioned this earlier, maybe in the chat, but what the he** is our center doing trying to get to the 2nd level on 4th and 1 with the game on the line? If he gets any sort of block on #6 we pick up the first down despite running up the middle. Instead he blocks their safety and #6 makes the tackle.

That was me asking that question in chat and I still can't figure it out!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think we would have stopped Pitt if we punted? Pitt scored on 7 of their 9 drives for the game. One of the two failed drives ended because of an unforced fumble.

Punt and we have a chance to keep them out of FG range. As it is we gave them the ball in FG range already. Our offense hasn't been nearly good enough recently (since 2014) to warrant that kind of risk.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We recruit the best players that fit our system, they are perfect for our scheme regardless of what anyone else says. And other than that, we are MIT caliber...we can barely get athletes that qualify academically to play D1 ball. Hell, we're lucky we can field a team with our academic restrictions...

Maybe. But there are two types of games ... those you lose and those where you got beat. This was one we lost. Some of it was play calling and not solely the responsibility of the kids. It's up to the coach to put them in the best position to be successful.

It's not the end of the world. But a very tough loss in a game we should have won. Honestly, I thought we wouldn't even be in it and the offense exceeded my expectations. Tied up, I was thinking, holy cow .. we can win this. But, we let it get away.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I'm not in the Fire Paul Johnson club, but there's something clearly wrong and it's been like that for a season and a half. I know you can look at the last two seasons and see a lot of close games, but close losses are still losses and they continue to pile up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yep, heard that argument before. Recruiting *'s don't matter at GT. At some point we need a few guys that can make a big time stop on defense. Haven't seen that in a while. Officiating now favors the passing game (allow holding on every play) and we are stuck in an offense that was schemed years before the rules were relaxed. They loosened the pass blocking rules and tighened the run blocking rules. It puts this offense at a disadvantage. I don't think we will ever have a really good defense as long as PJ is here.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Stop it right there. We recruit the best players that fit our system, they are perfect for our scheme regardless of what anyone else says. And other than that, we are MIT caliber...we can barely get athletes that qualify academically to play D1 ball. Hell, we're lucky we can field a team with our academic restrictions...

Sound about right?

"Where's the tylenol??" - Clark Griswold

Don't forget the cleats.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Punt and we have a chance to keep them out of FG range. As it is we gave them the ball in FG range already. Our offense hasn't been nearly good enough recently (since 2014) to warrant that kind of risk.
Of course we have a chance to keep them out of FG range if we punted. A 25% chance if we're basing it on the game's previous 8 drives. I liked our odds to get 1 yard better.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. But there are two types of games ... those you lose and those where you got beat. This was one we lost. Some of it was play calling and not solely the responsibility of the kids. It's up to the coach to put them in the best position to be successful.

It's not the end of the world. But a very tough loss in a game we should have won. Honestly, I thought we wouldn't even be in it and the offense exceeded my expectations. Tied up, I was thinking, holy cow .. we can win this. But, we let it get away.

Well, just keep having low expectations for GT and you will never have any sense of disappointment.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with going for it - I just didn't like the call. They were weak on the edge all game but strong up the middle. I don't remember many dive plays getting over three yards.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not sure we'd have been able to keep them out of FG range. Going for it gave us a chance.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it bad my first thought when we turned it over on downs was let them score so we have a chance?

I agree with going for it on 4th down, but didn't love the call. We killed them on the perimeter all day and #6 was eating our lunch inside all day. I would've tossed it to Lynch on the edge and taken my chances. I know it's easy to 2nd guess and that's not why we lost today, but we did have a chance to win the game.
We ran right at the largest player on their team#6...why?...Mills could move anyone else to get one yard...very very very frustrating...

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Yep, heard that argument before. Recruiting *'s don't matter at GT. At some point we need a few guys that can make a big time stop on defense. Haven't seen that in a while. Officiating now favors the passing game (allow holding on every play) and we are stuck in an offense that was schemed years before the rules were relaxed. They loosened the pass blocking rules and tighened the run blocking rules. It puts this offense at a disadvantage. I don't think we will ever have a really good defense as long as PJ is here.
Stars matter on defense. Boy howdy they matter big time.