Pittsburgh Postgame

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson is 3 games under .500(FBS) since 2010 when he no longer had Gailey's recruits to count on.

This "rough patch" has existed for 5 1/2 of the last 6 1/2 seasons. Johnson is 10 games under .500 (FBS) over those 5 1/2 seasons.

His FBS win % at GT is lower than Gailey's.

He is 5-21 since 2010 against VT, Miami, Clemson and UGA--and if you take out 2014, he is 1-21 against those teams. That's 1/3 of every season's schedule in which we really aren't competitive.

He has no conference championships. If I am wrong, go the GTAA and take a picture of the trophy for me.

He has only one real division championship, and we play in what most people consider the weakest Power 5 division. It is getting stronger as our results of 2015 and 2016 (so far) show. Not only are we behind Miami and VT in our division, we are behind UNC and Pitt, and even possibly Duke. UVa's new coach will take them past us too unless something changes.

George O'Leary had the adversity of following Lewis, yet he put up 5 consecutive AP top 25 finishes. How has Johnson had better success than Ross and O'Leary?

You and I have very different definitions of "success". Playing more games and more FBS teams to get more wins is not "success."

A lot of purported Tech fans on this board either aren't Tech fans, or they don't understand that being a fan of the coach and being a fan of the school are two different things. Those two things can be in opposition to each other. I think you fall in the latter category.

And while we are at it, calculus is not required for liberal arts majors at GT (unless you count "Survey of Calculus"). Let's put that myth to rest too.
This about sums it up, we either compete or become a annual near bottom feeder.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I missed the game due to Hurricane Matthew aftermath. I know we lost, but is it worth watching replay? I don't need more frustration right now....
It was a great game that the kids showed a lot of heart to come back in. There are some good individual efforts. It's worth watching and truly a good game that both teams made some nice plays in. We need some favorable ball bounces and of course some other things like defense but a good game.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Hope you are well.

Cheese please watch games and see if you agree that the ol is playing faster.

Also check out the final 4 & 1 play call. No real issue with mills carry, but sure seems like we should have tried to go to right and probably off tackle.

Also seemed like on that play freddie and mills started faster than rest of line View attachment 1933

Looking at the film--Burden did get off fast but he DIDN'T BLOCK ANYBODY

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer had a patchwork line, but he also had clueless D's and DC's. If you transport today's O back in time to 2008 - 2009, they'd kick butt too.

Thank you.
Other Top 5 dc improve to avoid getting embarrassed by coach which leads to being fired.
Imo, coach is fixing our offense to run called plays that look like TO. He is taking our scheme to the next level, but we must do something on defense.

I wish we had a coaching defensive genius like we have on offense.
Add a good defense to our offense when it is working = big score differential at half time and opponents get desperate. SIGNATURE WINS
GO JACKETS.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Looking at the film--Burden did get off fast but he DIDN'T BLOCK ANYBODY
Normally on 4th and 1 the MLB should be right there for Freddie to block. I think Pitt was so worried about the toss their LB's hesitated which really made it a good call on CPJ's part. Their D just blew through Will.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It was a great game that the kids showed a lot of heart to come back in. There are some good individual efforts. It's worth watching and truly a good game that both teams made some nice plays in. We need some favorable ball bounces and of course some other things like defense but a good game.
There were some good individual efforts. Jeune made some great catches. JT actually let our receivers make a play one on one. Lynch was Lynch. JJ had a kick return for a TD with solid blocking by Jalen Johnson. Pat Gamble is consistently a force. Simmons had a few good plays.