Pittsburgh Postgame

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Talk about bone-headed calls. that 4th down call that deep in your own territory was downright dumb. We weren't getting anything up the middle all day and worst case was probably going into overtime if we punt. The tipped pass was lucky break for them but there is such a thing as a tight end, Paul. Got to cover those guys too. Our secondary is just plain bad. We were lucky to even be in the game the way they could convert 3rd downs. At least we had some big plays today but defense reared its ugly head.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
fify

the problem is ted folks. just have to look to see it.
I saw what you did! You may be right but I am not sure what anyone could do with that talent level. But then, he recruited them so he's responsible. I am disappointed that JJ Green played a truly great game for nothing. On the fourth and one, what else could Johnson do? But I would have run to the perimeter with either Lynch or Green. I bet they would have made it on the rocket toss.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Talk about bone-headed calls. that 4th down call that deep in your own territory was downright dumb. We weren't getting anything up the middle all day and worst case was probably going into overtime if we punt. The tipped pass was lucky break for them but there is such a thing as a tight end, Paul. Got to cover those guys too. Our secondary is just plain bad. We were lucky to even be in the game the way they could convert 3rd downs. At least we had some big plays today but defense reared its ugly head.
Why do you think we would have stopped Pitt if we punted? Pitt scored on 7 of their 9 drives for the game. One of the two failed drives ended because of an unforced fumble.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
upload_2016-10-8_16-12-50.png

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will end up with 6 wins best case and could be less unless our pass defense improves. This is as upset with PJ as I have ever been and I have completely lost faith in the guy now. 2017 will be a very interesting year for him. He can be an @**h*** and tolerated if he wins but when he loses, he loses his fan support real fast.
We just don't seem to have a guy on defense that can make a big play when we need it. Those are the big time players and we don't seem to have them this year and for sure didn't have any last year (FSU block was the only one I can think of in 2015). Maybe those recruiting * mean more than we like to admit.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If tipping a ball into better catching position for the long TD doesn't encapsulate these 3 weeks, nothing else does. This one hurts and we better get ready, because GSU wants to keep the pain going.
Football is a game of inches and that last drive shows it.Little things like: If JT can get Brad a rope, he turns and easily gets the first down. If the side judge runs in 3 inches down field, we have a first down. If the ball hits a few inches over on the goalposts, the fg comes out.

That being said, ifs and buts aren't wins. We need them.

Silver lining:
B-Rad with a huge catch on td drive.
Ricky's hands getting sticky again.
JJ kick return and coming back from the hold to score.
Clinton Lynch ballin.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am just going to throw this out there... I think it is time we give Tenuta a call. Based on our budget and his success here (and current lack of employment), we need someone to help us get some fundamentals fixed, and he could do it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The clock was in our favor if we punted. Not making 4th down virtually guaranteed a loss.
I'm not sure what gives you confidence that we would stop them (see previous drive stats). Not saying you're wrong since it's all hypothetical, but we basically didn't stop them all day. The 4th down play ended with 1:47 to go and Pitt had 3 timeouts. That's before making assumptions about where the punt lands.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Antonio Simmons stood out again. As I said in chat, at this point it shouldn't matter whether he has missed assignments. We have guys in position who are still failing to make plays, let alone disrupting plays in the backfield.

I don't fault the 4th and 1 play call either. Mills behind tackle should be good for a yard, especially when Pitt does not run a blitz or extras to the line.

Agree on Simmons. He shouldn't come off the field unless he needs a breather. Same with Gamble. Outside of that, I would have guys rotating until somebody started making plays. I wasn't watching that closely, but did Adams even play? What was the point of burning his shirt? To get a 4th down stop against MERCER!? Play the kid. Who cares if he makes mistakes? Our defense is terrible anyways. Same goes for the young LB's and secondary guys. Let them play. We are going to give up 6-10 YPP anyways. Let them face some live bullets.

As for the 4th down call. If we would've run off tackle, I would've been more okay with it. We went unbalanced line then ran it right off Freddie's right hip. Someone mentioned this earlier, maybe in the chat, but what the he** is our center doing trying to get to the 2nd level on 4th and 1 with the game on the line? If he gets any sort of block on #6 we pick up the first down despite running up the middle. Instead he blocks their safety and #6 makes the tackle.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tough loss today.

Our offense put in a tremendous performance and delivered one of the best performances of the year. I calculated that they delivered 0.89 points per minute of possession which was great! The sad part was that Pitt delivered 1.25 which again reinforces the lack of a sufficient defense on our part. This was a winnable game and Coach J should really think about what we are going to do to put out a complete product. Right now, I'm thinking we are going to wind up 7-4, which isn't terrible, but 8-3 just sounded a lot better.

I'll look at the total game as soon as the stats are out.

Milwaukee

Banned
Maybe those recruiting * mean more than we like to admit.

Stop it right there. We recruit the best players that fit our system, they are perfect for our scheme regardless of what anyone else says. And other than that, we are MIT caliber...we can barely get athletes that qualify academically to play D1 ball. Hell, we're lucky we can field a team with our academic restrictions...

Sound about right?

"Where's the tylenol??" - Clark Griswold

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
The clock was in our favor if we punted. Not making 4th down virtually guaranteed a loss.

Clock wasn't in our favor if we punted. Rodwell would have gotten at most a 40 yard punt. Pitt had plenty of time and I believe all 3 timeouts. They have a kicker who beat us from 56 last year. Going was the only call - in my opinion. Not sure I 100% would have called that particular play, but it wasn't a terrible play.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
if one good thing can be said about our defense, it is that we held Conner in check. Although he didnt get as many carries as I expected, he was still pretty much a non-factor.