Pitt Series

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There should be a lot of scoring tomorrow. Pitt has used their two relievers. And we used 4 pitchers today. But some from both teams could come back. Carpenter 7 pitches, Ryan 11.

Pitt's second stud reliever, Mattson, only threw 17 pitches today.

Any idea who our starter is tomorrow? Ben S?

Update: The Earned Run score was 2-2. We had 3 errors and Pitt had 2 so it was just not good baseball. Thank you again Pitt!
Pitt is starting their top pitcher tomorrow. Senior with a 3.04 era. My guess is we will likely start Lee. The only options I see are him and Ben S.; unless CDH goes a little crazy and burns Thomas' redshirt assuming he is now eligible after finals last week.

I'd like to see Stallings back in the lineup at DH tomorrow regardless of what hand the starting pitcher throws with.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
There should be a lot of scoring tomorrow. Pitt has used their two relievers. And we used 4 pitchers today. But some from both teams could come back. Carpenter 7 pitches, Ryan 11.

Pitt's second stud reliever, Mattson, only threw 17 pitches today.

Any idea who our starter is tomorrow? Ben S?

Update: The Earned Run score was 2-2. We had 3 errors and Pitt had 2 so it was just not good baseball. Thank you again Pitt!

My understanding is Pitt saved their #1 for Monday night, so don't know how much damage we can do. Hammer shut us down pretty good tonight. Think he ended up w 8 Ks

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Pitt is starting their top pitcher tomorrow. Senior with a 3.04 era. My guess is we will likely start Lee. The only options I see are him and Ben S.; unless CDH goes a little crazy and burns Thomas' redshirt assuming he is now eligible after finals last week.

I'd like to see Stallings back in the lineup at DH tomorrow regardless of what hand the starting pitcher throws with.
We might not be able to redshirt Thomas. I was thinking about this today, but I would think that the NCAA might have a rule against letting ineligible players redshirt. It wouldn't punish them all that much if you still gave them 4 years of eligibility for not being able to maintain their grades. I don't know if this is right, and I'm too lazy to look it up. It was just a thought that I had today.

Edit: You're right about Stallings though. He needs to play everyday if he is healthy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, you guys are right. We shouldn't score as much today. But they should. So I was only half wrong (tic). Falk is a JuCo guy and now a Sr. His WHIP is 1.03. So the 3.04 ERA isn't a fluke.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=josh-falk

Let's hope that we are very patient at the plate and get the pitch count up to chase Falk by the 6th. None of these 7-10 pitch innings. Once we get him out, it should be much easier. But he has pitched a bunch of innings in each of his four years.

Problem is that we don't have a lot of quality / consistent pitching depth left. And as far as tomorrow, well that is tomorrow's problem. Craport used to pitch .......

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
TV announcers....who aren't great....made a great point about Ryan's pitching. Throw it down the middle and make them hit it and beat you. Ryan almost walked their last hitter in the 8th....being so very careful. Of course, that was after two straight base hits.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Overall, the pitching was really good this weekend. I'm happy with the improvements that I'm starting to see.

I have agree. Although I do hold my breath every time Ryan pitches. But Datoc, Gibson and Jake Lee and even Coombs all pitched well. Curry not as much.

Pitt is no powerhouse, and we still had to eke out a pair of one run wins. But given how poorly we have played until very recently, this was improvement.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll see your 2 (which is totally reasonable) and raise you 1. I see (really hope for) a sweep...first ACC sweep for Tech since getting 3 over VT in March of 2016. We're due... which means nothing.

I'm also a big Wash Capitals fan... bottom line... I need Pittsburgh sports to suffer quite a few losses in a row over the next few days. Asking a lot.
Jackets sweep!!!

...& Caps force a home game 7 with wins Sat & Mon over the Penguins.

I'm speechless.