Pitt Series

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Who is available to pitch? I haven't heard any starters listed, and I am really concerned about the availability of Shadday.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20170505aaa.pdf
Probables
Sat - Curry
Sun - Gibson
Mon - TBD

I'm not a follower of Pittsburgh... but they are TBD for their starters for Games 1 and 2. I wonder if they have issues with their normal starters?

There is an injury report in the pdf linked above... Shadday out for season. First I've seen of this. Bummer!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here is the injury stuff......

JACKETS HAVE BEEN STUNG BY INJURIES THIS YEAR
The Yellow Jackets have once again been “stung” by the injury plaque this season with a total of nine different players having missed
significant time this year for head coach Danny Hall.
* Tristin English - Tommy John Surgery in January (out for season)
* Carter Hall - Wrist (out since April 4 and will miss the rest of the season)
* Ben Parr - Shoulder (out since Feb. 28 and will miss the rest of the season)
* Parker McCoy - Leg (out since Mar. 12)
* Brandt Stallings - Arm (out since April 11)
* Jay Shadday - Arm (out since April 21 and will miss the rest of the season)
* Andy Archer - Shoulder (out since April 2)
* Jonathan King - Mono (missed three weeks in March and April)
* Patrick Wiseman - Arm (has not pitched all season and will miss the rest of the year)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wow.....3 run homer on a full count 2 out pitch puts Pitt up 3-0 in the top of the second. Why do I feel like this game is over already? I hope the team has more heart than I do....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow.....3 run homer on a full count 2 out pitch puts Pitt up 3-0 in the top of the second. Why do I feel like this game is over already? I hope the team has more heart than I do....

Not only the game but the series and the season. Curry is the best we have.

I had to turn it off. No reason to ruin a good Moscow Mule.

Moscow Mule:
2 ozs Fever Tree Ginger Beer (from Amazon)
1.5 oz Tito's Vodka
1/2 large lime squeezed, don't put rind in unless you like bitter
Fresh crushed peppermint from the garden
Crushed ice to fill the glass.

PS Need to congratulate Wiley Ballard for graduating today. He has done a lot to make the games enjoyable!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rallied to tie game at 5-5 after 5 innings.

Yup, I was watching the Spring game again and tuned back in at 2-5.

Really nice inning by Datoc. Only 10 pitches. Curry threw 94 in 5 innings and gave up 5 ER. Lousy start for Curry all around.

At least we got a Pitt reliever in after 4.1. This series may be a war of attrition with 10 runs needed to win the third .....

We HAVE to win this game to have a chance at the ACC. Pitt saved their best pitcher (not TBD) for the third game.

Update: we go down in the sixth on 7 pitches. Great way to work the reliever guys (extreme sarcasm).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kudos to Kel. Digs out two poor throws by Craport to get the last two outs of the T8. Also hit the 2 run HR for us to go up 7-6.

Datoc has been dominating in 3.0 IP, 72% strikes on 39 pitches. If Hall pulls Datoc for Ryan, I hope Hall is fired before he leaves the stadium.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
WALK OFF sac fly by Murray.

The chance for going to the ACC tourney continues.

Good news is Pitt used one of their best relievers (Mersing) who pitched 46 pitches. So he should be done. 2 other pitchers used.

We only used Curry and Datoc. Datoc in the ninth gave up a double, sac to advance the runner, single to score tying run, pick off at first and SO. Point is that he didn't get psyched out.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
WALK OFF sac fly by Murray.

The chance for going to the ACC tourney continues.

Good news is Pitt used one of their best relievers (Mersing) who pitched 46 pitches. So he should be done. 2 other pitchers used.

We only used Curry and Datoc. Datoc in the ninth gave up a double, sac to advance the runner, single to score tying run, pick off at first and SO. Point is that he didn't get psyched out.
I like that Hall was willing to stick with Datoc too. I know that he gave up the tying run, but he was pretty good tonight.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Compliments to Hall for not bringing in Ryan in the 9th. Curry showed again tonight that he has no out pitch. After he gets 2 strikes on the batter, he can't get the K, and often gives up a hit, maybe a homer as he did tonight. Every one has the book on Bart, he is a sucker for a low outside breaking ball, or a fastball inside and low.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Compliments to Hall for not bringing in Ryan in the 9th. Curry showed again tonight that he has no out pitch. After he gets 2 strikes on the batter, he can't get the K, and often gives up a hit, maybe a homer as he did tonight. Every one has the book on Bart, he is a sucker for a low outside breaking ball, or a fastball inside and low.
I firmly believe Curry is going to be a stud, but you are 100% right and he needs to develop a trustworthy out pitch in the offseason. As for Bart, he has been disappointing in the second half of the season after the way he started. I wish Hall would move him down to 6th or 7th until he starts hitting consistently again.

I firmly believe Curry is going to be a stud, but you are 100% right and he needs to develop a trustworthy out pitch in the offseason. As for Bart, he has been disappointing in the second half of the season after the way he started. I wish Hall would move him down to 6th or 7th until he starts hitting consistently again.
Who has been impressive the second half? Kel Johnson is one the biggest let downs in recent history. So much talent that can't be tapped into for some unknown reason.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Who has been impressive the second half? Kel Johnson is one the biggest let downs in recent history. So much talent that can't be tapped into for some unknown reason.
That's very true, but at least Kel is still getting on base. He had a streak of 30 something (?) straight games, I believe. Also, Wilhite, Craport and Bailey have been rocks in the lineup.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's very true, but at least Kel is still getting on base. He had a streak of 30 something (?) straight games, I believe. Also, Wilhite, Craport and Bailey have been rocks in the lineup.

The draft is going to be interesting for Kel. I think he'll get offered enough to go as a Jr. He does have a .279 batting average (not that good) and a .512 slg%. (Others probably have an opinion.)

The ironic thing is that Kel probably won the game last night with his fielding in addition to his first HR in a month. At least from the way Wiley described it. Craport had two poor throws that Kel dug out in the eighth. Usually we haven't made those plays this year.

An unearned win feels so so much better than an unearned loss.

One other factor of interest. Our RPI is 52. Not only is winning the series or better yet a sweep essential to making the ACC tourney, it's needed to keep our RPI from dropping. Warren Nolan has this game giving us 8 RPI points (not places, but points in the calculation) for a win and a loss of 50 points for a loss. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/team-impact?team=Georgia-Tech

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The draft is going to be interesting for Kel. I think he'll get offered enough to go as a Jr. He does have a .279 batting average (not that good) and a .512 slg%. (Others probably have an opinion.)

The ironic thing is that Kel probably won the game last night with his fielding in addition to his first HR in a month. At least from the way Wiley described it. Craport had two poor throws that Kel dug out in the eighth. Usually we haven't made those plays this year.
I feel like Kel will get drafted too, because power like his just doesn't come around often. The interesting thing with him though is that he his very invested in academics and getting his degree, so I believe that if he doesn't get drafted before the 15th round, then he will probably be back next year. I don't have anything to base this on, it's just a hunch.