Pitt Series

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To get out of the dumpster of the last two ACC teams, we have to win 2 or 3 from Pitt.

In the first game of a doubleheader this Saturday before the series, Pitt lost 4-6 to #244 SIUE (no idea who they are).

Pitt has another game tonight, one on Sunday. Plus a game on Tuesday and Wednesday.

We have off till Friday at 6PM. Advantage to us not to be playing? Certainly an advantage to be at home and not having to travel. (I'll go ahead and say that the ND series was poisoned for us by having to travel all night Thursday with cancelled flights. But there is no crying in baseball.)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
To get out of the dumpster of the last two ACC teams, we have to win 2 or 3 from Pitt.

In the first game of a doubleheader this Saturday before the series, Pitt lost 4-6 to #244 SIUE (no idea who they are).

Pitt has another game tonight, one on Sunday. Plus a game on Tuesday and Wednesday.

We have off till Friday at 6PM. Advantage to us not to be playing? Certainly an advantage to be at home and not having to travel. (I'll go ahead and say that the ND series was poisoned for us by having to travel all night Thursday with cancelled flights. But there is no crying in baseball.)
Definitely need 2 or 3 wins. The Pitt series is actually Sat, Sun, Mon. Monday game televised on one of ESPN TV channels.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I hope we will use the off week to get in some intensive batting practice. Use some of the young arms that rarely see the field to see some live pitching. I have never thought batting practice pitching with no breaking balls was very effective. Did we junk the million dollar pitching machine that was supposed to throw all kinds of pitches? Last I heard was that it was always broken per Hall. Too many of our guys use batting practice for "home run derby", not getting hits.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Do any of our guys choke up to protect the plate with a two strike count? Back in my day, we were told to do that, but I have never thought to look for that with our hitters. The reason I ask is that we recently played a guy who had an amazingly low number is Ks and the TV announcer talked about how effective he was with choking up on the bat.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Do any of our guys choke up to protect the plate with a two strike count? Back in my day, we were told to do that, but I have never thought to look for that with our hitters. The reason I ask is that we recently played a guy who had an amazingly low number is Ks and the TV announcer talked about how effective he was with choking up on the bat.

Hell all you have to look at is one of the best hitters in MLB, Freddie Freeman! Why more hitters don't do that is beyond me, especially with 2 strikes!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
When I played baseball, I just choked up on the bat all the time. It gave me so much more control of the bat. I think the only three players that I have seen choke up are Bailey, Wilhite, and Murray, but they don't choke up all the time 2 strikes. They are probably our 3 best contact hitters and I know that it isn't a coincidence.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pitt has played 3 ACC road series. They are 2-7. The 2 wins were @Duke. They were swept on road at Louisville & at UVA. I'm still sticking to the 11-win mark for Ga Tech to make the ACC tournament. We've averaged exactly 1.0 wins per series this season. We need to average ~2 per series (exactly 1.67) the rest of the way to make 11. For some reason, I feel like doubling our win total per series is doable. Basically, my "homer bias" has figured out Ga Tech should (and will) produce "above" their curve thus far this season and ALL the teams we're fighting with will produce at or below their curve. Seems like very reasonable analysis, doesn't it? (y)

Also... I mentioned it over on the ACC Baseball thread; but scratch NCST from the list of teams yet to sweep this season.. they swept VT this weekend. Leaving only 3 teams yet to record a series sweep in 2017: Ga Tech, Duke, Miami.

Ga Tech can sweep Pitt... especiall (and I hope) the starting pitching rolls like it did in Chicago.

Sincerely yours,
The Grasper

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Pitt has played 3 ACC road series. They are 2-7. The 2 wins were @Duke. They were swept on road at Louisville & at UVA. I'm still sticking to the 11-win mark for Ga Tech to make the ACC tournament. We've averaged exactly 1.0 wins per series this season. We need to average ~2 per series (exactly 1.67) the rest of the way to make 11. For some reason, I feel like doubling our win total per series is doable. Basically, my "homer bias" has figured out Ga Tech should (and will) produce "above" their curve thus far this season and ALL the teams we're fighting with will produce at or below their curve. Seems like very reasonable analysis, doesn't it? (y)

Also... I mentioned it over on the ACC Baseball thread; but scratch NCST from the list of teams yet to sweep this season.. they swept VT this weekend. Leaving only 3 teams yet to record a series sweep in 2017: Ga Tech, Duke, Miami.

Ga Tech can sweep Pitt... especiall (and I hope) the starting pitching rolls like it did in Chicago.

Sincerely yours,
The Grasper
You have to hope the non-hitters can wake up from their prolonged stupor.

Deleted member 2897

If I had told you a week ago that UIC would only plate 1 single run the entire series, yet we would not win the series, you'd tell me I was insane.

Yet that is the kind of year its been for Georgia Tech baseball.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
If I had told you a week ago that UIC would only plate 1 single run the entire series, yet we would not win the series, you'd tell me I was insane.

Yet that is the kind of year its been for Georgia Tech baseball.
It's really been an odd college baseball year overall. Miami is .500, Sout Carolina is struggling, Vandy isn't ranked, Michigan was ranked at one point, Rice is having their worst year under Wayne Graham, and UC Irvine (who made it to multiple CWS in the last decade) is in last in their conference. It has just been a really weird year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
3 out of 3 times this season, Pittsburgh has lost a game to a team with an RPI <200 when coming off a win against a team with an RPI >200.

If trend continues, Tech wins Sat's game... no problem.

Pitt only has 3 wins against Top 100 RPI teams all season. All 3 at home.

Signed Sincerely,
Numbers Manipulater Guy

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the schedule, we are no better than them.

• Took 1 out of 3 from ND @ home
  • Swept Vt @ home
  • Took 1 out of 3 from Miami at home
  • Took 1 out of 3 from UNC at home
  • Swept at UVA & UL
  • Took 2 of 3 @ Dook
Doesn't look much different from us other than they have actually managed to sweep someone.

Oh well, here's hoping....

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe we will win 2 of 3 vs Pitt.
I'll see your 2 (which is totally reasonable) and raise you 1. I see (really hope for) a sweep...first ACC sweep for Tech since getting 3 over VT in March of 2016. We're due... which means nothing.

I'm also a big Wash Capitals fan... bottom line... I need Pittsburgh sports to suffer quite a few losses in a row over the next few days. Asking a lot.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Who is available to pitch? I haven't heard any starters listed, and I am really concerned about the availability of Shadday.