Pitt Postgame

LibertyTurns

Banned
the only person on this team recruited to be a P5 QB was Yates. You have to remember that. I think some people got suckered in by the spring game or something but it was always going to be a rough year at that position and there was no point in wasting a year of yates throwing him to the dogs
We can now play Yates the last 4 games of the season. Oops, I meant last 3 games of the season because we put him in for an extra point.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Steve Spurrier won the ACC championship at Duke with an out manned team (actually tied with UVA). His OC was Barry Wilson who inherited the team as head coach, used the same play book and had a terrible losing record. There is an art to play calling and when Spurrier left it exposed mediocre coaching with the same talent.
No offense but are you comparing Dave Patenaude to Steve Spurrier? The hall of fame coach that brought the “fun n”gun” to big time football? 9 time conference coach of the year?
I’m with you that he may not be what we need long term, but that’s a high bar to jump over.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
A few did. Most of us didn't before the O-line injuries. Still waiting for someone to reveal the offensive game plan that requires no blocking.
A few games back I read numerous times on this site that GT shouldn't be expected to win, much less compete b/c they were fielding a roster with FCS level talent.

After the Miami win, I read how GT ran all over Miami, and how their defense was LEGIT, especially the run D...

Today, we lose to Pitt & now it appears the OL sucks again from reading this site.....

What should I expect next week??

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No offense but are you comparing Dave Patenaude to Steve Spurrier? The hall of fame coach that brought the “fun n”gun” to big time football? 9 time conference coach of the year?
I’m with you that he may not be what we need long term, but that’s a high bar to jump over.
I was pointing out that there is more to being successful than just what's in the play book. It's when you call the right plays at the right time. Spurrier was great and he instilled a winning confidence in his players. Even at Duke.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Understanding this one is pretty easy. When you get outplayed on both LOS and your QB isn't accurate enough or poised enough to make the plays he could make to make up for that you are going to get beat.

Hard to take when you get all the TOs we got but understandable.

slugboy

Staff member
From what I've heard, Pitt has a really good defense. So, a poor offense with a first year QB looking worse than they have in other games is not a surprise to me. Disappointing, yes. A surprise, no.

People are underrating Pitt’s defense.

Pittsburgh is #14 in FEI defense, and stout against the run (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef/2019).
Alabama is #10, Clemson is #1. Georgia is #3. Miami is #34, and Pittsburgh is one of the better ACC defenses we’re going to see this season.

It wasn’t a great matchup for us to make big plays on. That’s not saying we played well on offense (we didn’t), but Pitt’s defense is better than Miami’s.

Pitt is #98 on offense. We’re #94. It’s not a big surprise our defense looked better. It is a big surprise that we gave up a long TD to a team that doesn’t score long TDs.

We had our opportunities today. We should have capitalized.

The only play I’d criticize Patenaude for is the pass into the one sunlit part of the field. You could have flipped the formation the other way.

I think our execution should be better at this point than it is, but for the most part our play calling is decent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see how anyone can say Graham had a bad game. Half the time he went back to pass he had the offensive lineman’s butt hitting him because Pitts defensive line was pushing us all over the field. If you say Graham had a bad game then you must also think Mason had a bad game because he was getting hit immediately after the hand off. The ACC better get their licks in now because these OLinemen we have committed aren’t going to get pushed backwards by any Coastal teams. Collins is doing exactly what he was hired to do - upgrade our talent. As for Patenaude, I’m seeing all kinds of formations, pre-snap movement, and a nice first year playbook. We simply don’t have an offensive line that will make it work this year. But, the process is there and we are coming. I hope y’all give Collins credit when the time comes.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Understanding this one is pretty easy. When you get outplayed on both LOS and your QB isn't accurate enough or poised enough to make the plays he could make to make up for that you are going to get beat.

Hard to take when you get all the TOs we got but understandable.

I don't know that we got outplayed on the DL. I was impressed with that unit, and the whole defense.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
This was typical in a rebuild with young players.

Emotional wins need to be followed with another game, bye week put out the fire.

I see the bright future with this group and I see a coach who needs to grow with them.

I dont know what’s going on with one particular LB but he got shoved all over the field today, continues to juke himself out of tackles with all the foot movements and tire running as he generally played out of control again. He’s tough but his mind isn’t slowing down the more he plays.

I got a bad feeling when our WR dropped the ball that was right in his hands on our first possession. Had he caught it Graham and the team have a different kinda game today.

Overall I’ve tempered my expectations and my hopes rise for the team they will be

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see how anyone can say Graham had a bad game. Half the time he went back to pass he had the offensive lineman’s butt hitting him because Pitts defensive line was pushing us all over the field. If you say Graham had a bad game then you must also think Mason had a bad game because he was getting hit immediately after the hand off. The ACC better get their licks in now because these OLinemen we have committed aren’t going to get pushed backwards by any Coastal teams. Collins is doing exactly what he was hired to do - upgrade our talent. As for Patenaude, I’m seeing all kinds of formations, pre-snap movement, and a nice first year playbook. We simply don’t have an offensive line that will make it work this year. But, the process is there and we are coming. I hope y’all give Collins credit when the time comes.

Absolutely. Trust the process. Instant gratification society.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow

Most of his incompletions were simple pitch and catch plays that he just couldn’t hit. There’s been plenty of times the offensive line has been to blame, but the majority of his passes not being caught weren’t because of the line.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
A love our players but you are going to play hurt, then have to leave it on the field and not play scared

Charlie Thomas trying time take on a block without using his hurt shoulder is something you can’t do. This was a back breaker

giphy.gif
Was he taken out after that? Because I agree 100%. Carpenter also had bad leverage/angle at S on that play.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
[but keep red shirt QUOTE="GT Chillin' It, post: 652405, member: 1516"]Not sure if it was shown on tv but Lucas was limping off the field after the fumble. Coach pretty much had to put Graham back in. With 4 games remaining I wouldn’t mind seeing what Yates can offer.[/QUOTE]
but keep red shirt.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look I'm not sold on CGC , but if he can keep the players from quitting and playing hard ( which the defense did) I'm fine. Love our defensive coordinator but really wish we could fine another offensive coordinator . 3 turnovers and a block punt should get you more than one TD.