Pitt Postgame

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I dunno what you call if you cant run block or protect.
What you do is call something. Pnode couldn't even get plays in quickly when it mattered late in the fourth.

He's so over his head I think I could call a better game. I'd at least call a terrible game just like him with more pace and urgency. He might have done well against FCS defensive coaches, but he doesn't stand a chance at this level no matter the talent we give him.

I don't want to hear about the big transition and lack of talent, either. The defense is also making a big transition and has a lack of talent too, but they are looking better and better. They played well enough for us to win for sure today. Pnode wet the bed. The O is not looking any better, and might well be regressing.

It will be interesting to see if CGC sees it or stays loyal because he likes his juice.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if I missed it if it was already posted, but I think Antwan Owens was on crutches at the end of the game. Sigh.
Yep. Did he injure himself celebrating the sack? I looked away, and someone in the stands near me said he was okay and then hurt himself strutting.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I think our execution should be better at this point than it is, but for the most part our play calling is decent.

I disagree. Our play calling is slow, predictable and fails to take advantage of a super-aggressive upfield push by their d-ends. We ran the same bad play on third down to poor results (you did see our third-down conversion rate, right?) How can you possibly say he called a good game? o_O Maybe the better question is, if that was a well-called game how can I tell it when it is a poorly-called one?

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree on Oliver. I was high on Graham but as the season has worn on he hasn’t shown much besides being able to hit the deep ball occasionally. Can’t hit anything under 20 yards. I don’t think there’s a good option at QB unfortunately.

I agree in that he’s been inconsistent. Today he just played bad.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Have not read through the above and wanted to comment before doing so.

Great football weather today.

The Atlanta skyline is beautiful.

D did well overall. Only a couple of breakdowns.
Turnovers!!!
Going to miss Bruce at LB... CT was limited due to injury, that hurt. Kudos to Jackson coming in and doing his best.
Still have hard time getting a serious pass rush.

Special Teams...
Blocked punt!
PH is a machine.
KO return team needs work...
Missed one made one FG

Offense... Graham had a beautiful pass for TD, that was the offensive highlight. He skipped pass , which is okay in basketball but not football, and over threw a few. The interception was a prayer that was answered with a resounding NO. Others will be able to see if you made the correct RPO decisions. Too often he seemed to make the wrong one at least in my eyes. But my eyes are not well versed in grading him. Maybe he did make the right decisions and Pittsburgh was just that good.

I did like that we got our first third down conversion with a quick hitter from under center instead of 5 to 6 yards behind the line.

It sucks that we could not punch it in from the 11 yard line after the blocked punt. [emoji20]

LJ appeared to get the offense moving and then just had a bad luck play with the fumble at the goal line.

Hope that are players that had to leave the field do the injury get healed up and can play next week.

Knew it was going to be a long difficult season. So far that has proven true.

Saw no quit from the team. Have to be proud of that.

Last edited:

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Just is what is is... GT vs Pitt in 2017 was a good memory though. 440 rushing yards and a 35-17 win despite 4 lost fumbles.

The team beating Miami this year saved the season... Otherwise it's probably a 1 win campaign.

Have to imagine they look much better next year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Just is what is is... GT vs Pitt in 2017 was a good memory though. 440 rushing yards and a 35-17 win despite 4 lost fumbles.

The team beating Miami this year saved the season... Otherwise it's probably a 1 win campaign.

Have to imagine they look much better next year.
I still think we can beat either VT or NCSU, if not both. We just have to play a mistake free game and by this I mean, no missed field goals and no turnovers in the redzone.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
A few games back I read numerous times on this site that GT shouldn't be expected to win, much less compete b/c they were fielding a roster with FCS level talent.

After the Miami win, I read how GT ran all over Miami, and how their defense was LEGIT, especially the run D...

Today, we lose to Pitt & now it appears the OL sucks again from reading this site.....

What should I expect next week??

Expect the same - which is different than what we have seen in 11 years.

That is a team - coaches, players, support staff- that will not quit.

A program that knows you have to actually recruit QBs, enough P5 level talent OL & DL. Not just those players that were easy to recruit because you choose to sit in your LaZBoy and recruit against tulane, gsu and Elon.

A team that knows without D you will go nowhere - except win rushing titles and nothing else of significance nationally.

And, as said, expect a group representing GT that will not quit.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We’ll be better next year for a myriad of reasons -1) we aren’t losing anybody of significance, 2) players coming in are bigger, 3) we can spend the spring actually practicing and not installing, 4) Gleason will be here, 5) Graham will have experience, 6) other teams are losing more significant players than we are.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Graham was really off today, but he’s shown a lot of promise this season. I’m not ready to give up on him.

Once the defense settled down, they were lights out.

Offense was a dumpster fire. Some of it was understandable(poor OL play). Some of it wasn’t (missing open WRs, dropping passes etc).

It is what it is. I’m not calling for anyone’s job after one season, but Dave P has been dreadful.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s about as egregious as going for that FG early on 4th and 2 down 10-0. Were just not the team that’s going to beat people on FGs.

That's not unusual at all. Most coaches would do that, especially since the defense is playing better than the offense. I can see why we went for the field goal there. Jackets were this close to tying the score 17-17 when the fumble turned the game around. Seems reasonable to kick the field goal and get within one score.

Deleted member 2897

If King makes that field goal and then Johnson doesn't fumble, it's at least a 17-16 game. You take the points that early in the game, King just pushed it.

But that’s just it, we have never kicked effectively. I’m pretty sure King is a lifetime sub-50% kicker.