Pitt Postgame

Deleted member 2897

Someone on the basketball board noted a while back that we seem to a conservation law with football and basketball wins -- every year they always seem to sum up to the same number. I can't find the post, but I think that number was 23. If that holds true, then we are going to have a pretty good year in basketball. :)

Wow you have a good memory! I stumbled upon that a few years ago. We had over a 7 year period like 4 years where the total was 23 and the other years were also very close to that.

So yea, as sad as that sounds, a 2-3 win football season gives us a 20 win basketball season! :D

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wow you have a good memory! I stumbled upon that a few years ago. We had over a 7 year period like 4 years where the total was 23 and the other years were also very close to that.

So yea, as sad as that sounds, a 2-3 win football season gives us a 20 win basketball season! :D

there is always something to be thankful for. Some people just don't take the time to look!;):D

Deleted member 2897

Here are the numbers for football wins + basketball wins
2018) 7 + 14 = 21
2017) 5 + 13 = 18
2016) 9 + 21 = 30
2015) 3 + 21 = 24
2014) 11 + 12 = 23
2013) 7 + 16 = 23
2012) 7 + 16 = 23

2011) 8 + 11 = 19
2010) 6 + 13 = 19
2009) 11 + 23 = 34
2008) 9 + 12 = 21
2007) 7 + 15 = 22

10 of the last 12 years our total wins were between 19 and 24. So a 2-3 win football team would imply a 17-21 win basketball team. :D

Deleted member 2897

FYI Tariq had posted he was at a hospital overnight after the game...don’t know if it was for a friend or family. Here is a picture from practice today and looks like his right wrist is wrapped.

GT_EE78

Banned
His momentum carried him out of bounds.
Thanks for responding, i found the answer on youtube highlights. It clearly wasn't momentum which was why it looked odd to me evoking memories of the ForrestGump/Waterboy scenes when a player kept running to the locker room. Our DB just wanted to run along the wall in front of the fans while doing normal high fives and such. My guess now in what i saw is that some editor just cut away to a different camera and missed the celebrating.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
College football is 75% about quarterback play...and our QB'ing is horrible....Ok, our OL is banged up... or incompetent (I do not believe this is the case) but our QBs are the overwhelming , glaring, staring-us-in-the-face reason we can't score...How about our QBs make a a play.....???? If JG or Lucas is our future then kill me now...

Dang bro, this ain't Madden xxyy, where you create a player and let 'em run roughshod over the opposition with your fancy new controller/joystick manipulation prowess. There is a bit more to consider in a real live game.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Said this in another thread, our offense, which is in complete reassemble mode, was up against the #10 defense in the country, #1 in sacks (which means lots of pressure on the OL) and #14 in tackles for loss. Sometime you have to give credit to the other team for creating pressure, driving our OL into the backfield and generally forcing mistakes. Yes we made mistakes (lots of mistakes) as well, but that kind of defense is tough on young QBs (ask Justin Fields about Alabama's defense).

The voice of reason finally prevails, and what so many seem to forget is that we were in the game late with a chance to tie it up against a pretty good defensive team, but that gets lost in the fact that the team is showing a little more improvement each week.

GTFLETCH

Banned
IMHO OC Patenaude has to develop a different play calling gameplan. 30yard passes on 3rd down is unwise. Throw more on 1st. Here's the goal: >45% passes on 1st down. Part of the 3rd down problem is that the offense is not getting enough yardage on 1st and 2nd downs.

Here are the 13 third down plays:
3rd & 7 at GT 30
3rd & 8 at GT 31
3rd & 4 at GT 31
3rd & 7 at PITT 37 (converted)
3rd & 3 at PITT 18
3rd & 6 at GT 49
3rd & 15 at GT 15
3rd & 10 at GT 35
3rd & 8 at PITT 10
3rd & 8 at PITT 24 (converted)
3rd & Goal at PITT 4 (fumble)
3rd & 6 at GT 21
3rd & 8 at GT 13

That averages out to 7.2 yards needed on 3rd down, which is tough for any offense. I also think they need to come up with plays to get the ball in Tobias Oliver's hands. Let him run a series at quarterback for a change of pace. As a backup last year when he came in the other team knew he was going to run and not hand off and still could not stop him. Need to take advantage of his speed and running ability somewhere.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Dang bro, this ain't Madden xxyy, where you create a player and let 'em run roughshod over the opposition with your fancy new controller/joystick manipulation prowess. There is a bit more to consider in a real live game.
I'd say football is more like 75% OL and DL play. Win there, win the game. Lose there, well...

A great OL makes a good QB or RB look like a superstar.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd say football is more like 75% OL and DL play. Win there, win the game. Lose there, well...

A great OL makes a good QB or RB look like a superstar.
You’re absolutely right. Case in point: Russell Wilson. Seahawk fans have known for years how good he is, but he was running for his life all the time, so he had to improvise to make plays, which limited his stats and production. Now he has a decent line in front of him, and he’s going off on the league.

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey V,
I laughed out loud at "joystick manipulation prowess" comment. I have never played a video game but I get your point!!...
OTOH, I do know a little about "real live games"...so there's that....
Hope JG turns into Joey Ham and throws for 300 yds this Sat....I would love to be wrong about state of our QB'ing!

Jolly Good Fellow
You’re absolutely right. Case in point: Russell Wilson. Seahawk fans have known for years how good he is, but he was running for his life all the time, so he had to improvise to make plays, which limited his stats and production. Now he has a decent line in front of him, and he’s going off on the league.
Uhm....Seahawks won Superbowl in '14 and Russell was pretty good even back then, improvising and all....
And I love OL guys! I think they are the most important part of every team...also the best looking and the smartest players on the field...but I'm biased, of course....

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Uhm....Seahawks won Superbowl in '14 and Russell was pretty good even back then, improvising and all....
And I love OL guys! I think they are the most important part of every team...also the best looking and the smartest players on the field...but I'm biased, of course....

Heh, heh. Good for you big fella. You're right of course. You guys up front are the most important part of every team.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They did win the Super Bowl, but I heard a lot of “Russell Wilson is only good because of Marshawn Lynch” or “He’s only good because of the defense.”

Back on topic, OL can be the difference between having a QB that plays like Philip Rivers vs a QB who plays like David Carr.