Pitt Postgame Discussion

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Am I mistaken or did we have multiple players dancing around instead of committing to taking what they can get cutting up field or going outside. We must have run directly into a blocked defender at least a half dozen times if not more it seemed by not choosing between left or right.
You're not mistaken. I hope it is just an early-in-the-season thing because it gets frustrating on that couch.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There were a couple plays where Benson had no hole, but slammed ahead anyway, and gained about 8 yards after planting his face mask in the breast bone of the tackler and driving him back. I thought to myself that those would be the runs where the light bulb went on in his head and he would be fixed forever. Unfortunately, it wasn't so, as he tiptoed a few times after that as well. Oh well. It is a hard game and judging from the stands is the easiest thing in the world to do. I'm sure he will watch film.
Well, it is his third start. His big problem is fumbling the ball by looking down field first. Not the first RB to have that problem.

However, I think the film that he'll get pointed to is Quaid's TD. That is what you can do if you hit the hole with authority and keep running hard after you do. He shrugged off at least 3 tackles on that run.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A few more random thoughts, some of which has been covered by others.

Pleased with the outcome yesterday. Pleasantly surprised by the defensive performance. I think we not only out-talented Pitt in some match-ups, but we played disciplined on that side of the ball, first drive aside.

Turnovers and special teams seem to be our Achilles heel right now. I am cautiously optimistic that fixing the fumbles will be the easier to correct item. Hopefully we the worst is behind us, and we were able to salvage at least one win despite them.

Special teams... I don't know where to start. Kickoff coverage was solid. Davis played well yesterday. The punt return for a TD looked like 5th grade soccer field coverage i.e., everyone chase the ball, to steal someone's thought in Chat. I also think Stewart is being too conservative on his fair catch calls. While catching the ball cleanly is most important, it seemed to me there were at least 2 balls he could have returned without jeopardizing his safety or a turnover. I think there is some upside on punt returns, which could help us down the road.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Pleased with the outcome yesterday. Pleasantly surprised by the defensive performance. I think we not only out-talented Pitt in some match-ups, but we played disciplined on that side of the ball, first drive aside.

Turnovers and special teams seem to be our Achilles heel right now. I am cautiously optimistic that fixing the fumbles will be the easier to correct item. Hopefully we the worst is behind us, and we were able to salvage at least one win despite them.

Special teams... I don't know where to start. Kickoff coverage was solid. Davis played well yesterday. The punt return for a TD looked like 5th grade soccer field coverage i.e., everyone chase the ball, to steal someone's thought in Chat. I also think Stewart is being too conservative on his fair catch calls. While catching the ball cleanly is most important, it seemed to me there were at least 2 balls he could have returned without jeopardizing his safety or a turnover. I think there is some upside on punt returns, which could help us down the road.
This GT team is spectacular when the offense starts clicking!:cool:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I was looking to see who was the outside contain on the punt coverage. There was none of course. The starting DB on the end of the line chased all the way to the other sideline straight to the ball with no intent of contain. If he was not the contain person then nobody else stepped up. But to be fair NOBODY on the coverage team ran their lane. Everybody converged to the ball carrier. It was a total breakdown and showed a complete lack of discipline/coaching. Good punt coverage REQUIRES running your lane and containing if that is your responsibility. This can be and has to be fixed.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There were a couple plays where Benson had no hole, but slammed ahead anyway, and gained about 8 yards after planting his face mask in the breast bone of the tackler and driving him back. I thought to myself that those would be the runs where the light bulb went on in his head and he would be fixed forever. Unfortunately, it wasn't so, as he tiptoed a few times after that as well. Oh well. It is a hard game and judging from the stands is the easiest thing in the world to do. I'm sure he will watch film.

Ha i thought of Mighty Mouse when I saw that picture

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Am I mistaken or did we have multiple players dancing around instead of committing to taking what they can get cutting up field or going outside. We must have run directly into a blocked defender at least a half dozen times if not more it seemed by not choosing between left or right.
Thats what we lost in Mills. For better or worse, he hit slammed it up in there with everything he had. It meant he was ALWAYS gonna get 3.