Pitt Postgame Discussion

wxl

Georgia Tech Fan
I was wondering the same thing because listening to the post game interview someone had mentioned him getting injured on a chop block.
Did anyone else see all the cut blocks Pitt was employing, especially on the perimeter. That's ok, CPJ got back at Narduzzi in the post game interview.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
0gvK3L.gif

Jay Jones big hit.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few more random thoughts, some of which has been covered by others.

Pleased with the outcome yesterday. Pleasantly surprised by the defensive performance. I think we not only out-talented Pitt in some match-ups, but we played disciplined on that side of the ball, first drive aside.

Turnovers and special teams seem to be our Achilles heel right now. I am cautiously optimistic that fixing the fumbles will be the easier to correct item. Hopefully we the worst is behind us, and we were able to salvage at least one win despite them.

Special teams... I don't know where to start. Kickoff coverage was solid. Davis played well yesterday. The punt return for a TD looked like 5th grade soccer field coverage i.e., everyone chase the ball, to steal someone's thought in Chat. I also think Stewart is being too conservative on his fair catch calls. While catching the ball cleanly is most important, it seemed to me there were at least 2 balls he could have returned without jeopardizing his safety or a turnover. I think there is some upside on punt returns, which could help us down the road.
Agreed. That punt return looked worse than bad from the north EZ perspective.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
After all the targeting calls I've seen this year im surprised this wasn't one.
Targeting only comes to play when the player is "at risk." Getting tackled while running the ball does not constitute a targeting situation. Now, leading with the crown of his helmet is called spearing, and it also illegal. The reason it is illegal is because it leads to the person doing the spearing getting hurt, as happened in this play.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Targeting only comes to play when the player is "at risk." Getting tackled while running the ball does not constitute a targeting situation. Now, leading with the crown of his helmet is called spearing, and it also illegal. The reason it is illegal is because it leads to the person doing the spearing getting hurt, as happened in this play.

In my reading of the rule targeting can occur with a defenseless player (and there are a whole set of unique condition that define targeting in this case) but doesn't have to occur with a defenseless player. In the general case, if the defender leads with the crown of his helmet, it's targeting . I don't think that a penalty called spearing exists anymore.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...9482/targeting-penalty-rulebook-ncaa-football

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was on the AT all weekend with no connectivity. Guess I'll have to "miss" more games.

Watched last night before I knew the results. Only a few things to add:
  • CPJ going for it on 4th down was awesome on our end of the field. Would have gone for it another time without the false start.
  • Getting the bye last week may have slowed our progression some but will be good for next week against UNC since we won't have as many injuries / be beat up. I really like how we can develop with increasing
  • TMs passing was off on the long ball. Also we got real lucky that his int was called off for roughing the passer. It looked like a bad pass. Not like him, but then again, we certainly didn't need the passing in this game.
  • We had some fumbles we recovered or it could have been worse. I'm not surprised with so many first year players and expect that we will have fewer fumbles as the year goes on. That's what usually seems to happen.
  • This was our best overall game of the season. Hopefully next week is even better.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That kid is crazy athletic. He is going to be an amazing player some day soon.
Yeah, but I hope that's not a typical example of how he sees contact coming and attempts to avoid the hit. A qb in our system has to have that uncanny ability to sense imminent violent contact and duck it in time to avoid injury. All the great running qb's have this. Lil Joe was the master, but Tevin was real good at it and so was JeT.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I keep watching Qua's block and it's a thing of beauty. When you love our offense, that block is almost a little better than the run itself.
JJ Green spoke in a presser about the "Dirty A's" and their unselfishness and williness to block for each other. Seems that same unselfishness extends to anybody carrying the ball. I really like the team dynamic coming from this group. The "me" guys can all transfer as far as I'm concerned. Maybe they already have...