Pitt Panthers

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Watched the replay of Pitts game versus Youngstown State while working last night and one thing they had issues with and I hope we exploit is the rb wheel route. 4-5 times during the game the linebacker didn't have the speed to make up for the mismatch.

One back for Youngtown had 5 catches for 124 yards and 2 TDs. Might be a big day for our abacks in space.

Good catch. We've had success on the few times we've run the BB wheel route, but I can't remember seeing any passes going their way this year. Assuming he's able to catch the ball without issue, I wouldn't be surprised to see Benson be deadly on that route...he's deceptively fast for a guy as thick as he is and there's no way a LB could keep up with him.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good catch. We've had success on the few times we've run the BB wheel route, but I can't remember seeing any passes going their way this year. Assuming he's able to catch the ball without issue, I wouldn't be surprised to see Benson be deadly on that route...he's deceptively fast for a guy as thick as he is and there's no way a LB could keep up with him.

This is the play I've been waiting to see with KB!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I haven't finished it yet, but there's an answer that I wanted to highlight (emphasis added):

You talk about guys needing to be better at reading their keys defensively, but at the same time how do you get them better tackling wise?
NARDUZZI
: Yeah, that goes with reading your keys. It's about being in position, so if I'm reading you and I don't read you properly, whether you're an offensive lineman or receiver -- we've got guys playing off of guys giving too much cushion, okay, at times. That's going to -- that's fundamentals. We've got linebackers not helping out in coverage when it's clearly a pass or a run, depending on what it is. So all those things, it's being in position to make those tackles, okay.

I can take any one of the Steelers DBs, and if I put them in an open field with a good tailback, they're going to make half those tackles and they're going to miss half of them. That's not good. We'd like to make 85 to 90 percent of those tackles, but it's all about being in position to make those tackles. It's not about the tackling itself, okay.

And then you've got to look at the player and the guy that's making the guy miss, too. But it's being in position to make the tackles, just staying on your feet. But the more space you get because you don't read your key properly, the more problems you're going to have.
Earlier from the same interview there was this response:
NARDUZZI: You can't miss tackles. You've got to read your keys. Like I said, some guys -- and even some guys that aren't so young didn't read their keys. It's like -- and weren't helping. You wonder where it came from. What are you doing? What are you being coached to do? I tell our coaches, hey, what you see is what you coach, so obviously it's not sinking in; how do we get it to sink in? Do we need a sledgehammer; what do we do?

But you know, this is a totally different week as far as what you're seeing, how you're defending the run, where your guys are located. They have some run-pass conflicts. They've got you thinking about some pass, then they run it. As soon as they start running it on you and break one, then you're going, oh, my gosh, what do we get the guy in there. But this is a totally different deal.​

He did credit Roof for the D and praised him. However, I think these quotes about his reaction to his own D also apply to how many of us have reacted to ours. To me, I don't agree that you should question coaching for failures in one game to read keys and get into the right positions, but I do think it becomes a live question about coaching when the same things are happening over multiple seasons.

Don't mean to derail, but I wanted to highlight aspects of this week's interview which I found interesting.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about anyone else but this game scares me. I don't think their defense will stop our O. We've seen the past couple of years that our speed on that side of the ball is better than theirs. But I don't have much confidence our D can stop their O either after the performance last year against these guys.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about anyone else but this game scares me. I don't think their defense will stop our O. We've seen the past couple of years that our speed on that side of the ball is better than theirs. But I don't have much confidence our D can stop their O either after the performance last year against these guys.
I'm pretty much nervous before every game;)

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Pitt lost their OC and several guys off of that O. I don't know that I'll ever be the guy that trust our D, but their O isn't on the same level as last year's.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
For whatever reason, we seem to bring out the best in Pitt. On a hot midday in BDS, I think whoever controls TOP wins this one. IMO, we have to try to put PITT behind the chains, especially on their side of the field, to force a punt or better yet, a turnover. PITT usually has a good OL, so some LB or safety blitzing may be needed. We may not have seen all PITT can do on both sides of the ball due to the first games being OOC, either. It may come down to our kicking game . Taking ( hoping ) Tech 30-28.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Screw it... We've had two slow starts in a row. I think we come out guns blazing and have a early 2011-type first half. Hell, I bet we score on the first play (that KB wheel route I've been pining for).

We're healthy, rested, and hungry. They're reeling.