Pitt Panthers

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
For whatever reason, we seem to bring out the best in Pitt. On a hot midday in BDS, I think whoever controls TOP wins this one. IMO, we have to try to put PITT behind the chains, especially on their side of the field, to force a punt or better yet, a turnover. PITT usually has a good OL, so some LB or safety blitzing may be needed. We may not have seen all PITT can do on both sides of the ball due to the first games being OOC, either. It may come down to our kicking game . Taking ( hoping ) Tech 30-28.

I'm just glad that kicker is gone. I really didn't like losing two years in a row to game winning kicks (one a personal best distance of 50+ yards) from a guy named Blewitt. I think we roll them though...should be a fun game to watch.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
They gave up the wheel route a couple times to Youngstown State in the first game. Benson could have a big day if they try to cover him in space with a linebacker.

Jmonty71

Banned
They gave up the wheel route a couple times to Youngstown State in the first game. Benson could have a big day if they try to cover him in space with a linebacker.
I am pretty sure that Pitt will be practicing how to cover the wheel route, for this game. Whether they can keep up with our A backs is another question.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah... If TM puts it on the money. Plus, I really have not seen any B Backs catch a pass yet. Not saying it's not in the playbook (AKA CPJ's head).

It's absolutely in the playbook. JD had a big catch on a BB wheel vs. FSU, Tony Zenon opened a game (MTSU?) with a TD when he lined up at BB, Laskey had a few. It's nasty if the MLB can't get out there in coverage.

On the subject of passing to the BB, though, I will add that I think we see the return of the BB screen pass this year. Hit a few of those with JD and then I remember Skov catching a couple.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Just looking for a solid win to soothe my soul. I was excited about the offense with our dominant run game at UT and became less confident after the second game. The defense seems better this year but were those two offenses really good enough to use as a gauge? If this game builds my confidence in our defense and our offense, then it has hit the spot for me (although I will certainly worry that Pitt sucks and I will know more next week)

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the PSU game. The Nittany Lions felt they should not have lost to them last year and had this one circled on their schedule, even more than usual. PITT has played 2 top 10 teams and lost handily. The worst thing our young team can do is overlook this team, or any for that matter. The week off we had definitely helps, but I still think PITT has a lot more up their sleeves, especially with a more mobile QB. I will predict this, we will be behind until midway through the 3rd quarter. It will take CTR until the half to figure out how to slow them down. Hope I am wrong.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Dinucci is no slouch......read his bio. Prolific passer in HS and is mobile. Henderson is an All American return man. RB Ollison is a 6-2, 230 lb load. They've got some good players. They compare to PSU in a lot of ways how we compare to UGA in talent.

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
For whatever reason, we seem to bring out the best in Pitt. On a hot midday in BDS, I think whoever controls TOP wins this one. IMO, we have to try to put PITT behind the chains, especially on their side of the field, to force a punt or better yet, a turnover. PITT usually has a good OL, so some LB or safety blitzing may be needed. We may not have seen all PITT can do on both sides of the ball due to the first games being OOC, either. It may come down to our kicking game . Taking ( hoping ) Tech 30-28.

I think it will be closer than most people on this board seem to think. Pitt has their backs against the wall. If they lose this game, their season will unravel in a hurry. I believe their defense is better than what they showed against OSU and will come south with an attitude. Nonetheless, they have lost more on offense from last year than just about any opponent we have except maybe Tennessee. If we don't boat race Pitt it may reveal some unpleasant things about the state of our team. If we do hammer them, it may be the start of some really good football on the Flats. We will see soon.

Jmonty71

Banned
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the PSU game. The Nittany Lions felt they should not have lost to them last year and had this one circled on their schedule, even more than usual. PITT has played 2 top 10 teams and lost handily. The worst thing our young team can do is overlook this team, or any for that matter. The week off we had definitely helps, but I still think PITT has a lot more up their sleeves, especially with a more mobile QB. I will predict this, we will be behind until midway through the 3rd quarter. It will take CTR until the half to figure out how to slow them down. Hope I am wrong.
I think CTR's biggest issue is, he makes adjustments at half time. He does not do a great job at making, in game, adjustments. So, if teams, like UT, adjust during half time, he has an issue in correcting that adjustment. If there is one area I wished he improved on, would be in game adjustments.

I really wished he was on the sideline, chewing players' tails for missed plays. I wished there was someone down there pumping the D up. At times, already, I saw a defeated and unenthusiastic defense. Momentum goes a long way in CFB.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It's absolutely in the playbook. JD had a big catch on a BB wheel vs. FSU, Tony Zenon opened a game (MTSU?) with a TD when he lined up at BB, Laskey had a few. It's nasty if the MLB can't get out there in coverage.

On the subject of passing to the BB, though, I will add that I think we see the return of the BB screen pass this year. Hit a few of those with JD and then I remember Skov catching a couple.

Benson has the skills and was used a lot as a pass receiver in HS. Getting him in space via wheel route or screen with the ball would be good.

Vanderbilt last year first play, Marcus Marshall fake toss and wheel route, touchdown.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
One thing to remember here is Lynch should be ready to rock this game. He barely practiced before JSU (didn't make it for UT, then short week prepping for JSU), so this is really his first game back at full speed. I expect him to have a monster game to make up for lost time.