Pitt Panthers

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
One thing to remember here is Lynch should be ready to rock this game. He barely practiced before JSU (didn't make it for UT, then short week prepping for JSU), so this is really his first game back at full speed. I expect him to have a monster game to make up for lost time.
He did still manage to make a catch for over 30 yards. Keeping that stat high still. Lol.

Jmonty71

Banned
I have a coworker at work that is from Pittsburgh. He said, if GT doesn't whip Pitt by 20, we will not win many games this year. If we struggle against Pitt, what does that mean for the season? Is there some merit in his statement?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I have a coworker at work that is from Pittsburgh. He said, if GT doesn't whip Pitt by 20, we will not win many games this year. If we struggle against Pitt, what does that mean for the season? Is there some merit in his statement?
I agree that GT should win by 20 but I don't agree that the Jackets will have a sucky season if they don't

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
They look to be not good but you have to remember they also faced 2 probably top 5-10 teams at this point so most teams would be outmatched. Obviously the one thing that's hard to overlook is needing OT to beat Youngstown to start the season. Oklahoma State probably has a top 3-5 QB though and will put up 50+ multiple times this season so it's hard for me to hate on their defense too much with the data we have for this year. Their offense appears to be a total trainwreck though. Averaging 2 turnovers per game, both QBs look bad, and their kicker is 2/5 from fgs.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
All three teams Pitt has played are good. Youngstan state may be FCS, but Bo is still a good coach (albeit an *******). Just look at how many teams won't schedule NDSU after they beat p5 teams. Pitt doesn't look great, but they have had a doozy of a schedule. For their QBs, Max Browne didn't look great, but I though their backup was pretty good. Granted he came in damn near garbage time so it's hard to tell

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd say your coworker doesn't know college football. We struggled with Wofford in 2014, struggled with Gardner-Web in 2008 and took OT to beat Wake in 2009. Those seasons turned out pretty good. Transitive property of math doesn't apply to football.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Our OL seem so polite and even-mannered off the field...but they're mean and nasty as all hell between the lines. I LOVE watching our OL play, it's so much more rewarding than the standard "step back pillow fight" type blocking you see at so many other places. I'm surprised more elite OL don't want to come here. Isn't it more fun to be delivering the blow than receiving it?
Edit: Sorry about that last line
um-phrasing-thumb.jpg

Jmonty71

Banned
Our OL seem so polite and even-mannered off the field...but they're mean and nasty as all hell between the lines. I LOVE watching our OL play, it's so much more rewarding than the standard "step back pillow fight" type blocking you see at so many other places. I'm surprised more elite OL don't want to come here. Isn't it more fun to be delivering the blow than receiving it?
Not if you want to be taught effective pass blocking for the NFL. Plus, GT requires grades and class attendance. I cannot say the same about other schools. Keep in mind, to some kids, college is nothing more than a 3 year audition.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not if you want to be taught effective pass blocking for the NFL. Plus, GT requires grades and class attendance. I cannot say the same about other schools. Keep in mind, to some kids, college is nothing more than a 3 year audition.
It worked out pretty well for Shaq. I fully expect Shamire, Bryan, and Braun to all get legit shots at the NFL, and maybe some of the other guys too. When you're a big, athletic guy, NFL coaches should be able to train you as they're the "best of the best". Besides, don't OL from all those spread wide teams have to learn to aggressively run block? Looking back at the Super Bowl last year, did you notice that just about every time the Pats got down in close, they were running right off Shaq's butt? The NFL clearly still values mean SOBs on the line.
As to your last point about having to do real class work, can't really argue that. Although, it should help that OL tends to be the smartest position on the field (according to Wonderlic test results among NFL prospects).

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Pitt lost their OC and several guys off of that O. I don't know that I'll ever be the guy that trust our D, but their O isn't on the same level as last year's.

Perhaps. But we've still got our D from last year for the most part. And of the guys coming back three were from an O-line that blew us off them off the ball all day. If they can just turn around and hand the ball off for five yards every play it's going to be a long day. That's what I'm worried about.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It is a bit disconcerting that we couldn't run the bback up the gut vs a FCS team.(ok, one run). Need to establish that and score.We may not be stopping the Pitt off probably a lot.
They have a BIG advantage in punting game also now.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is a bit disconcerting that we couldn't run the bback up the gut vs a FCS team.(ok, one run). Need to establish that and score.We may not be stopping the Pitt off probably a lot.
They have a BIG advantage in punting game also now.

I think an OL on very short rest and zero practices in pads had more to do with that than JSU. Although they did have some guys on that DL and #40.

Also, a defense can scheme an aspect of our offense if they choose to. They just can't scheme everything. JSU schemed the middle, but we could have thrown on them all day long.