Pitt - Final Regular Season Series

Deleted member 2897

I wonder if this has ever happened before. When was the last time a team from the ACC only lost 1 conference series..... absolutely mindblowing to think about

And that 1 series was from a come from behind rally in the bottom of the 9th on the road at Miami.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody have an explanation for the balk tonight? I was at the game and didn't see it. I watched that play on WatchESPN and didn't see it either.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody have an explanation for the balk tonight? I was at the game and didn't see it. I watched that play on WatchESPN and didn't see it either.

I was thinking about it. I *think* the call was that English didn’t make an effort to get out of the way of the ball (BS because he couldn’t have, but the new rule is the new rule) so he did not earn a HBP and the rule is that’s it’s a strike. However, the ball got away and no Pitt player ever went to get it. So Guldberg trotted home.

It was a confusing and I’m not sure if that even makes sense. But that’s what I’m piecing together.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking about it. I *think* the call was that English didn’t make an effort to get out of the way of the ball (BS because he couldn’t have, but the new rule is the new rule) so he did not earn a HBP and the rule is that’s it’s a strike. However, the ball got away and no Pitt player ever went to get it. So Guldberg trotted home.

It was a confusing and I’m not sure if that even makes sense. But that’s what I’m piecing together.
I’m pretty sure it was just a regular balk call. On a balk like that, where the pitcher throws it without coming set, the offense has the option to take the balk and allow the runners to advance a base, or allow the result of the pitch to count. Since it was a 3-2 count with runners on 1st and 3rd, we accepted the balk so Guldberg scored and McCann advanced to 2nd, with English still hitting in a 3-2 count. Had we accepted the pitch result, it would’ve been bases loaded with Baron up.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I’m pretty sure it was just a regular balk call. On a balk like that, where the pitcher throws it without coming set, the offense has the option to take the balk and allow the runners to advance a base, or allow the result of the pitch to count. Since it was a 3-2 count with runners on 1st and 3rd, we accepted the balk so Guldberg scored and McCann advanced to 2nd, with English still hitting in a 3-2 count. Had we accepted the pitch result, it would’ve been bases loaded with Baron up.

Believe that’s what the commentators said, but I never saw a balk call.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Believe that’s what the commentators said, but I never saw a balk call.
Sounds like a "quick pitch"...i.e., pitcher not coming set before he comes to the plate. I didn't notice it either at the time....but it is possible.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's great that we won the Coastal, but we have had a few chances to sweep series and couldn't get it done. Pitt is even kicking our *** right now! It is a bit of a concern. How do you lose to Pitt on SENIOR DAY? I still think we can win this game but that pitcher for Pitt is dealing! We have got to work him to get his pitch count up or this will be a loss that could keep us out of hosting a super regional.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you're gonna give up 3 HRs to one guy, let it be a legend.

PhysicalThunderousAmurratsnake-max-1mb.gif

Ramblin'Man

Banned
This is what I keep talking about and why I fully expect us to pull a Charlie Brown and whiff in the regionals. Only having 1 reliable pitcher is not enough to advance in the postseason. I know I will get bashed for saying this, but losing Hurter and X cost us a legit chance of making it to Omaha. We won't win our regional because our Friday and Sun pitchers are going to get mashed....you heard it here first.

Deleted member 2897

This is what I keep talking about and why I fully expect us to pull a Charlie Brown and whiff in the regionals. Only having 1 reliable pitcher is not enough to advance in the postseason. I know I will get bashed for saying this, but losing Hurter and X cost us a legit chance of making it to Omaha. I don't think we win our regional because our Friday and Sun pitchers are going to get mashed....

We went 15-2 this year in 2+ game series.

Ramblin'Man

Banned
We went 15-2 this year in 2+ game series.

I know that, doesn't mean a thing once regionals start. That's not going to help our pitchers a bit.....they're not the reason why went 15-2 in those series sans CT. I'm just saying don't act shocked when Charlie whiffs the ball in our regional....the injury bug screwed us once again, GT is not allowed to have nice things.

I would have bet the the house that we would have made it to Omaha with X and Hurter but without them I don't see too many postseason wins in our future having to depend on two mid week level pitchers being forced to try to do too much, they will get rattled very easily and put us in large deficits early having to score 10+ runs to win with them as starters. Puts a lot of pressure on the offense.....

Last edited: