Pitt - Final Regular Season Series

Ramblin'Man

Banned
With fans like you , who needs enemies. Negative energy is contagious. Keep your thoughts to yourself.

Predictable response, should I just talk about how our postseason hopes are filled with unicorns and rainbows even though we are missing 2 of our best pitchers??? It's my opinion...and Im just stating that GT isn't allowed to have nice things and I think Charlie will whiff in the regionals because once again the injury bug decimated our chances

Last edited:

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Predictable response, should I just talk about how our postseason hopes are filled with unicorns and rainbows even though we are missing 2 of our best pitchers??? It's my opinion...and Im just stating that GT isn't allowed to have nice things and I think Charlie will whiff in the regionals because once again the injury bug decimated our chances
Don't keep your thoughts to yourself but you have to stop this "we can't have nice things" crap. And no we are not Charlie Brown. We have had an incredible amount of arm injuries which I partially blame on Howell. But this team will hit it's way to Omaha. Quit crying and get on board this train. It's gonna bee a fun ride!

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Huerter is the only one we won’t get back. X will be back by Regionals from what I’ve heard. I’ll take CT and X over most teams one two. The extra experience the rest of the staff has gotten will be incredibly helpful in the post season. Our bullpen was awful at the beginning of the year but they have really hit their stride and I find myself not expecting meltdowns late in games now like the beginning of the year.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
No hard feelings, but I’m a believer in if you think negative, then negative will happen. That’s part of the culture that CGC is trying to change in the whole athletic dept. GO JACKETS

Deleted member 2897

I know that, doesn't mean a thing once regionals start. That's not going to help our pitchers a bit.....they're not the reason why went 15-2 in those series sans CT. I'm just saying don't act shocked when Charlie whiffs the ball in our regional....the injury bug screwed us once again, GT is not allowed to have nice things.

I would have bet the the house that we would have made it to Omaha with X and Hurter but without them I don't see too many postseason wins in our future having to depend on two mid week level pitchers being forced to try to do too much, they will get rattled very easily and put us in large deficits early having to score 10+ runs to win with them as starters. Puts a lot of pressure on the offense.....

I know, the injuries just suck, and we never seem to have a good clean season. I think we should just give up and go home.

I know that, doesn't mean a thing once regionals start. That's not going to help our pitchers a bit.....they're not the reason why went 15-2 in those series sans CT. I'm just saying don't act shocked when Charlie whiffs the ball in our regional....the injury bug screwed us once again, GT is not allowed to have nice things.

I would have bet the the house that we would have made it to Omaha with X and Hurter but without them I don't see too many postseason wins in our future having to depend on two mid week level pitchers being forced to try to do too much, they will get rattled very easily and put us in large deficits early having to score 10+ runs to win with them as starters. Puts a lot of pressure on the offense.....

If there was ever an example of a bad fan, you are it.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I also wanted to post a couple of my thoughts from the game today since this was my first time seeing Roedig live. Roedig is going to be special for us. I didn't realize how good his curveball is, but it made a couple of Pitt hitters look silly. He just needs to go up to the Cape this summer and work on his fastball command.

This game was one of the worst umpires games that I have seen from a HP umpire. The guy's zone was all over the place and the only thing consistent about him was that he was inconsistent all day. The hitters were just so visibly frustrated that it was ridiculous. A chimpanzee could have called a better game than that guy.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Just got back home from attending today’s game with my wife, GTRamblerLady.

One thing I noticed about Roedig, is that from the first pitch on he threw from the stretch, and never threw a pitch with his usual full windup with no runners on base. This is the first time I’ve seen Roedig pitch strictly from the stretch for every pitch he threw.

My first thought on seeing this is that perhaps pitching coach Howell (and maybe also Coach Hall, in concurrence?) wanted to experiment with Roedig in this way for his start today.

Albeit it didn’t turn out so well for Roedig today, but at least I think it was worth a try.

It reminds me about something I remember from last year when the Braves had starter Kevin Gausman begin throwing strictly from the stretch for every pitch, shortly after he was obtained in a trade from Baltimore— and it worked out very well for him!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Just got back home from attending today’s game with my wife, GTRamblerLady.

One thing I noticed about Roedig, is that from the first pitch on he threw from the stretch, and never threw a pitch with his usual full windup with no runners on base. This is the first time I’ve seen Roedig pitch strictly from the stretch for every pitch he threw.

My first thought on seeing this is that perhaps pitching coach Howell (and maybe also Coach Hall, in concurrence?) wanted to experiment with Roedig in this way for his start today.

Albeit it didn’t turn out so well for Roedig today, but at least I think it was worth a try.

It reminds me about something I remember from last year when the Braves had starter Kevin Gausman begin throwing strictly from the stretch for every pitch, shortly after he was obtained in a trade from Baltimore— and it worked out very well for him!
He only walked one batter though and that was the first guy. It seemed to me that he had better control, but just left 2 pitches up for that guy to get a hold of.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
This was not the first time I have seen him drop the crazy windup he had when he got here. I am all for him always pitching from the stretch.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Note that at some point this season Gibson also dropped the wind up in favor of working from the stretch all the time. Seems to have helped him quite a bit as well.

slugboy

Staff member
Box score from yesterday: https://pittsburghpanthers.com/boxscore.aspx?path=baseball&id=10878

Pitt over GT 9-3, if you were looking for the score.

Bigger news was clinching the division title
AJC https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-championship/utgGN7faMx1BXKPMrPBX7J/amp.html

SBNation for the people who won’t read AJC: https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/p...yellow-jackets-clinch-share-of-division-title

And we should get the ACC tournament schedule today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
With respect, I do think that two things play into the whole Charlie Brown thing (although I am not a fan of that metaphor):
  1. recent post-season "disappointments" by GT. I put that in quotes because it is a matter of expectations....but we have lost 8 straights times in the Regional Round, even though we hosted in 3 of those years
  2. We have had a wonderful, successful season. BUT, much of that success was built on a rotation that we simply don't have now. It strikes me as realistic to be concerned that we can replicate that level of success with our #4 and #5 starters thrust into the limelight one year ahead of schedule.
I do think some skepticism is rational.

Deleted member 2897

With respect, I do think that two things play into the whole Charlie Brown thing (although I am not a fan of that metaphor):
  1. recent post-season "disappointments" by GT. I put that in quotes because it is a matter of expectations....but we have lost 8 straights times in the Regional Round, even though we hosted in 3 of those years
  2. We have had a wonderful, successful season. BUT, much of that success was built on a rotation that we simply don't have now. It strikes me as realistic to be concerned that we can replicate that level of success with our #4 and #5 starters thrust into the limelight one year ahead of schedule.
I do think some skepticism is rational.

Right, but injuries have nothing to do with Charlie Brown. The Charlie Brown illustration is one of assured success and accomplishment...only to have the ball jerked away at the last minute and we fall flat on our back by our own doing. Its like Clemsoning. Losing when we should have been winning.

Furthermore, on all those losses, we only have even been to a Regional once in the last 5 years. Isn't it too early to say that this is a Charlie Brown year - when we're currently ranked #6 in the country today by D1? We already have as many wins as we did in 5 of those 8 trips to the regionals, and we haven't played the ACC Tournament yet. I'm not sure that barely squeaking into a regional with 37 wins and effectively a #32 or #48 seed (a 2 or 3 seed in a regular regional) compares to where we are this year. We haven't even had a winning record in ACC play since 2011. Sure we had a couple years a long time ago where we should have made it further. But if you go to the playoffs like 25 times, you're bound to have some off years like that. Baseball can be a crazy sport. To me unlike any other, any team can beat any team on any given day.

Lets wait until a Charlie Brown moment actually happens before we proclaim to ourselves that we've Charlie Brown'd.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Fair comments.

I'll say it again, we have had a wonderful, successful season which I have enjoyed thoroughly. I don't enjoy the Charlie Brown analogy, and at this stage, even if we fail in a Regional I don't think that analogy applies, given the injuries we have experienced. I was simply trying to say that it wasn't unreasonable to lower one's expectations a bit if we have indeed lost 2 of our starters.

But cheer on the boys anyway, for all we're worth!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Fair comments.

I'll say it again, we have had a wonderful, successful season which I have enjoyed thoroughly. I don't enjoy the Charlie Brown analogy, and at this stage, even if we fail in a Regional I don't think that analogy applies, given the injuries we have experienced. I was simply trying to say that it wasn't unreasonable to lower one's expectations a bit if we have indeed lost 2 of our starters.

But cheer on the boys anyway, for all we're worth!
That's my thinking too. We are better suited for a super regional right now. With Hurter and Curry both fully healthy, we are probably an Omaha team. Without them, literally anything can happen. I'm still hoping to see Curry come out of the bullpen though for the tournament.