Petition to stop noon home games

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Paul has said he prefers noon games and TV partners control kickoff times anyways, so there's really nothing we can do. I'm okay with noon games honestly.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Petition to stop the petition to stop noon home games. Who's with me??? This thread topic is as repetitive and dead horsey as we have on this forum.

You know it's the off season when all we discuss is...(fill in the blank).

and this is definitely one them.
So let's not say anything. We've hosted 10 noon games in the last 2 years alone. I'm sorry but that's just not ok

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So let's not say anything. We've hosted 10 noon games in the last 2 years alone. I'm sorry but that's just not ok

Even if you did get most of the fan base to support the petition, who would you submit it to? The GTAA? They have no control over it. The TV stations? Which one? The ACC? President Trump? Congress? You can continue to get bent out of shape about this, but no amount of yelling, screaming, petitioning, etc., is going to alter the business decision making process that determines when teams kick off in order to meet TV schedule and viewer demand. Now, if you greased the skids of that petition with several millions of dollars to the right TV exec, you could maybe make a dent in the schedule process...

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Even if you did get most of the fan base to support the petition, who would you submit it to? The GTAA? They have no control over it. The TV stations? Which one? The ACC? President Trump? Congress? You can continue to get bent out of shape about this, but no amount of yelling, screaming, petitioning, etc., is going to alter the business decision making process that determines when teams kick off in order to meet TV schedule and viewer demand. Now, if you greased the skids of that petition with several millions of dollars to the right TV exec, you could maybe make a dent in the schedule process...

I don't think he understands that often the reason we are the noon game is that we are on a main channel at noon vs espn3 at 3:30 and its because of our brand strength not in spite of it. We are in the atlanta TV market. the ACC network options whichever of our games they can because we are long standing member and get a pretty dedicated TV audience.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Don't have to sign the petition but it would definetely help to email people in the GTAA or say something to the ACC. I just can't see how anybody can be ok with getting screwed by our TV partners and the ACC so much

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he understands that often the reason we are the noon game is that we are on a main channel at noon vs espn3 at 3:30 and its because of our brand strength not in spite of it. We are in the atlanta TV market. the ACC network options whichever of our games they can because we are long standing member and get a pretty dedicated TV audience.
Yes I do know that actually

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Don't have to sign the petition but it would definetely help to email people in the GTAA or say something to the ACC. I just can't see how anybody can be ok with getting screwed by our TV partners and the ACC so much

I don't understand the "getting screwed" by the TV partners feeling. I seriously doubt that ESPN has meetings in which their primary concern is making it harder for GT fans to tailgate. They try to maximize engagement through the entire Saturday. (They even spread things out so that they have games on Thursday and Friday. Plus even some games on Tuesday and Wednesday during the season) They want as many people watching as many games as possible. Even if viewership of one particular game is lower in a certain time slot, it makes sense to the network if having that game in that time slot will increase overall viewership for the day.

What do you want the GTAA to do? They can possibly complain to the ACC. What do you want the ACC to do? They could give up money to negotiate guaranteed time slots in the next contract. However, the next contract isn't until 2036 and the ACC will not give up money to make a few fans at one school complacent. I guess they could complain to ESPN. But then what do you want ESPN to do? They pay a lot of money to the ACC for the purpose of maximizing revenue. ESPN is not going to give up revenue that they have paid for so that some GT fans can have an extra couple of hours to tailgate. Petitions and protests usually have an purpose and an end game. I have no idea what you think this petition is for.

To me the whining about 12:00 period game times seems like just something to complain about. It seems to me that if they were all late, the same people would complain about that. If 1/3 of the games were in each time slot, the same people would complain that they can't plan around game time since it always changes. What is the real complaint about 12:00 games?

• Can't tailgate? Bring a tent, TV, and generator and watch the 3:30 and 7:00 period games after watching GT dominate their game. Parking on campus doesn't have to be cleared out until midnight.
  • Too hot? It is too hot in September at 3:30 also. Teams in Florida have games in the 12:00 time slot. It is just as hot there and even more humid.
  • Have to leave your house too early? If that is the complaint then if it is a late game you won't get home until too late. If it is a 3:00 time slot game then you will have to leave your house before the 12:00 games and won't get back until the late games have finshed.(No chance to watch any other games or get any house/yard work done)
  • Just have to find something to b**ch about? I think that probably matches most of it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Alcorn at 12 - sounds hot.

After we win first 3 games by big margin and play undefeated at 12 on game of week - sounds hot in a good way.

Just win big and a rain storm sounds fun.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
Win more games + better out of conference scheduling in September and maybe next year we won't have so many games @ 12:00.... It really comes down to GTFB working over time to make themselves marketable for TV.
Nobody is more aware of that than TStan.