Petition to stop noon home games

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the "getting screwed" by the TV partners feeling. I seriously doubt that ESPN has meetings in which their primary concern is making it harder for GT fans to tailgate. They try to maximize engagement through the entire Saturday. (They even spread things out so that they have games on Thursday and Friday. Plus even some games on Tuesday and Wednesday during the season) They want as many people watching as many games as possible. Even if viewership of one particular game is lower in a certain time slot, it makes sense to the network if having that game in that time slot will increase overall viewership for the day.

What do you want the GTAA to do? They can possibly complain to the ACC. What do you want the ACC to do? They could give up money to negotiate guaranteed time slots in the next contract. However, the next contract isn't until 2036 and the ACC will not give up money to make a few fans at one school complacent. I guess they could complain to ESPN. But then what do you want ESPN to do? They pay a lot of money to the ACC for the purpose of maximizing revenue. ESPN is not going to give up revenue that they have paid for so that some GT fans can have an extra couple of hours to tailgate. Petitions and protests usually have an purpose and an end game. I have no idea what you think this petition is for.

To me the whining about 12:00 period game times seems like just something to complain about. It seems to me that if they were all late, the same people would complain about that. If 1/3 of the games were in each time slot, the same people would complain that they can't plan around game time since it always changes. What is the real complaint about 12:00 games?

• Can't tailgate? Bring a tent, TV, and generator and watch the 3:30 and 7:00 period games after watching GT dominate their game. Parking on campus doesn't have to be cleared out until midnight.
  • Too hot? It is too hot in September at 3:30 also. Teams in Florida have games in the 12:00 time slot. It is just as hot there and even more humid.
  • Have to leave your house too early? If that is the complaint then if it is a late game you won't get home until too late. If it is a 3:00 time slot game then you will have to leave your house before the 12:00 games and won't get back until the late games have finshed.(No chance to watch any other games or get any house/yard work done)
  • Just have to find something to b**ch about? I think that probably matches most of it.
You spent a lot of time to justify Noon home games. Everybody hates noon games. They suck alright. And we get our more than fair share of them. There ain't no justifying our recent start times. Just not

Animal02

Banned
You spent a lot of time to justify Noon home games. Everybody hates noon games. They suck alright. And we get our more than fair share of them. There ain't no justifying our recent start times. Just not
Yes there is....a 5-6 record, and the inability to fill a 55k stadium are two. Then there is the aggregate fan base compared to every SEC, Big10 and most ACC schools.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I didn't "justify" noon games. Not everybody hates them. I suspect that the majority of people complaining would complain if the games were all in the prime-time slot, or the 3:30 slot, or spread around all of the time slots. I haven't heard one complaint about noon games that is specific to noon games.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes there is....a 5-6 record, and the inability to fill a 55k stadium are two. Then there is the aggregate fan base compared to every SEC, Big10 and most ACC schools.

And yet GT has the sixth best attendance in the ACC. Clemson is way ahead followed by FSU. Then there is a group of VT, NC State, and Miami. UNC is only a little ahead of GT. Everyone else is behind GT in average attendance.

I didn't "justify" noon games. Not everybody hates them. I suspect that the majority of people complaining would complain if the games were all in the prime-time slot, or the 3:30 slot, or spread around all of the time slots. I haven't heard one complaint about noon games that is specific to noon games.
I prefer ANY currently available time slot to noon, so yes, my complaint is specific to noon games....I'd rather drive 2 hours home late at night than early morning; I would rather have more time for pre-game tailgating, and I'd rather it get a little cooler by the end of the game than a lot hotter.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I prefer ANY currently available time slot to noon, so yes, my complaint is specific to noon games....I'd rather drive 2 hours home late at night than early morning; I would rather have more time for pre-game tailgating, and I'd rather it get a little cooler by the end of the game than a lot hotter.

You can still tailgate after the game. If you want to tailgate before the game, then you will have to drive "early morning" to get there for the pre-game tailgate. If your friends won't tailgate after the game, why would they tailgate before the game.(Especially if it is a win the tailgate would be even better) I don't know about you or any other specific poster, but I suspect that the great majority complaining about noon games would complain about 3:30 games, or late games. Many of the ones doing the complaining complain about: the QB not passing enough, or not running enough, or not pitching enough, or pitching too much, or .... The coach blaming a player too much, or not blaming a player, or running the ball too much, or not running the ball when he should have, or ..... The only consistency is complaining about something.

Add to that the fact that there is no one who would receive a petition and take any action on it. TStan can't. Swofford can't. ESPN has a responsibility to Disney shareholders, not a few guys who can only tailgate from the hours of 11:00 to 2:30.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
The record doesn't matter. For the 100th time, Wake and Virginia play plenty of non home games. Also the noon games do nothing but hurt our attendance

You can still tailgate after the game. If you want to tailgate before the game, then you will have to drive "early morning" to get there for the pre-game tailgate. If your friends won't tailgate after the game, why would they tailgate before the game.(Especially if it is a win the tailgate would be even better) I don't know about you or any other specific poster, but I suspect that the great majority complaining about noon games would complain about 3:30 games, or late games. Many of the ones doing the complaining complain about: the QB not passing enough, or not running enough, or not pitching enough, or pitching too much, or .... The coach blaming a player too much, or not blaming a player, or running the ball too much, or not running the ball when he should have, or ..... The only consistency is complaining about something.

Add to that the fact that there is no one who would receive a petition and take any action on it. TStan can't. Swofford can't. ESPN has a responsibility to Disney shareholders, not a few guys who can only tailgate from the hours of 11:00 to 2:30.
Virtually nobody tailgates after games. I'm sure some do, but in the lot I park and tailgate in, it's empty within 30 minutes after the end of a game. Tailgating is not just a gathering of a few friends, but it's a gathering of a few friends in an atmosphere that builds in excitement as kickoff time approaches. That atmosphere is enhanced by a sizable number of other groups also tailgating. Tailgating after the game, especially after a loss, is IMO a total waste of time.
I do agree about the petition; it's a waste of time. But the fact that Tech has had 10 noonish kickoffs in the last 2 or 3 years, while WF has had either none, or far less than 10, is definitely an issue worth consideration.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Also the noon games do nothing but hurt our attendance

What is that based on? Last year mutts, VT, and JSU were in the noon slot, but had the highest attendance. In 2016, Clemson and Miami had the highest attendance. Clemson was at night but Miami was at noon. In 2015 the mutts and FSU had the highest attendance. FSU was at night, but the mutts were at noon. It appears to me that the time of the game doesn't affect attendance. Whether the other teams travel well seems to matter more. There were tons of FSU fans at the 2015 game. There were tons of mutt fans at the 2015 and 2017 games(noon games mind you). mutt fans don't seem to mind when the game is, they go to them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Virtually nobody tailgates after games. I'm sure some do, but in the lot I park and tailgate in, it's empty within 30 minutes after the end of a game. Tailgating is not just a gathering of a few friends, but it's a gathering of a few friends in an atmosphere that builds in excitement as kickoff time approaches. That atmosphere is enhanced by a sizable number of other groups also tailgating.

If tailgating is important to you, then change it. If there is a TV with satellite to watch the 3:30 and 7:00 games, then the tailgating could easily continue after a noon game. Grill food, watch the games, talk about the game GT just won. I'm sure that if your group started that it would spread to others around you, to improve to other sizable groups after future games. If GT loses, then most people would probably just leave.

I don't tailgate. I usually go to the Varsity 1 to 1-1/2 hours before the game and try to make it to see at least some of the warm ups. After a noon game, I get home by about 5 and watch the second half of 3:30 games and the late games. If it is a 3:30 game, I can't watch the 12:00 games and only watch the end of the late games. If it is a late game, I'll usually watch the noon games and then make my way to the game. The only real issue I have with game times are when it corresponds a big event in Piedmont Park or Midtown that interrupts traffic after the game.(Or Thursday night games before the game. -- It took me about two and a half hours to get from Gwinnett to campus a couple of years ago.)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. I haven't heard one complaint about noon games that is specific to noon games.

My complaint was specific. I live far enough away that a noon or 12:30 kickoff requires me to leave Friday. Turns a football game into a 3 day/2 night event. I also agree with Supersize on the tailgate issue.

Sure I could change it to accommodate the TV driven system by leaving at 3:30 AM Saturday morning (to reduce the additional day of travel) and learning to enjoy tailgating by myself in a vacant parking lot after the game. But I'm not going to do that. If the game is on TV at noon, it's easier for me to stay home and watch it than change my habits and preferences.

I'm that way with all my spending decisions. If I want to buy a gray suit without pleated pants, I will shop around until I find what I want/need. I don't buy a navy suit with pleats because that is what the store has in stock at the time I visit.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My complaint was specific. I live far enough away that a noon or 12:30 kickoff requires me to leave Friday. Turns a football game into a 3 day/2 night event. I also agree with Supersize on the tailgate issue.

Sure I could change it to accommodate the TV driven system by leaving at 3:30 AM Saturday morning (to reduce the additional day of travel) and learning to enjoy tailgating by myself in a vacant parking lot after the game. But I'm not going to do that. If the game is on TV at noon, it's easier for me to stay home and watch it than change my habits and preferences.

I'm that way with all my spending decisions. If I want to buy a gray suit without pleated pants, I will shop around until I find what I want/need. I don't buy a navy suit with pleats because that is what the store has in stock at the time I visit.

Or maybe drive in Friday night and stay close to campus. Get on campus at 7:00 or 8:00 to tailgate. According to your time frame if you leave at 3:30PM after the game you should get back home by midnight. That makes it 1 night instead of 2 and you still get your tailgating experience.

Or if tailgating is super important, get an RV and start the tailgating after 5:00PM on Friday in the RV lot. You don't even have to leave until morning sometime on Sunday so you can tailgate before and after the game with a crowd of people doing the same thing.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I could care less what time we start. If Tech was to play a game at 4 AM, I would still be happy because it's Tech and it's football.
I personally like the noon starts because it gives me time to do things on Saturday night.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Or maybe drive in Friday night and stay close to campus. Get on campus at 7:00 or 8:00 to tailgate. According to your time frame if you leave at 3:30PM after the game you should get back home by midnight. That makes it 1 night instead of 2 and you still get your tailgating experience.

Or if tailgating is super important, get an RV and start the tailgating after 5:00PM on Friday in the RV lot. You don't even have to leave until morning sometime on Sunday so you can tailgate before and after the game with a crowd of people doing the same thing.

RonJohn...sure I could change my lifestyle and habits (driving home after the game would potentially be driving under the influence plus driving at night, which I am not comfortable with) or invest in an RV, which I don't want or need. None of these are appealing to me. Can you accept that, for some of us, noon or noon games are just not desirable? If you like them I am OK with that. Paradoxically, if they weren't being televised, I might make accommodations to watch the game. But with TV, I get to have my cake and eat it too.

Jmonty71

Banned
Which is worse? A noon game, televised? Or, a 3:30 game that does not even make it on ESPN3, much less televised? While I see the frustration of numerous noon kick-offs, it comes down to ratings. GT is not exactly a nationally followed brand. I don't care about other teams and whether they may or may not get better kickoffs. For all I know, there are alumni members that are involved that make those choices. If GT starts winning and makes game more prime time, you will see better time slots.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
RonJohn...sure I could change my lifestyle and habits (driving home after the game would potentially be driving under the influence plus driving at night, which I am not comfortable with) or invest in an RV, which I don't want or need. None of these are appealing to me. Can you accept that, for some of us, noon or noon games are just not desirable? If you like them I am OK with that. Paradoxically, if they weren't being televised, I might make accommodations to watch the game. But with TV, I get to have my cake and eat it too.
That is basically my point. You are making a value decision and you feel that watching in your air conditioned living room is what you want to do. People decide not to attend games for family reasons, work reasons, convenience reasons, and whatever else. However it isn't GT, the ACC, or ESPN forcing the decision or doing evil things to us. It is simply someone saying they prefer supporting family at a wedding or laying on their couch to watch a whole days worth of games to attending a game on campus. People should accept that they make their own decisions instead of trying to blame others for their decisions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk