Petition to stop noon home games

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We got people From Georgia yet complaining about Georgia heat. Like. You new here? If you’ve grown up in Georgia you can handle the heat.

Something something AC has made this older generation soft (AE am I doing this right?)
I don't know about that. I grew up in SW Georgia about 80 miles north of the Cracker Line, that mythical line dividing Georgia and Florida, which defined a swath of about 10-12 miles each side from Jacksonville to the Alabama line as a place you did not want to break down in after dark, without regard to color, creed or national origin. Somebody said it is more civilized now but I think he was trying to trick me. That godawful Big Daddy heat wrecked family farms. You started in those fields -- tobacco, peanut, cotton, corn, truck crops -- at about age eight and worked sunup to sundown, and the first lesson you learned was the longer you whined the longer you stayed in the heat. So it was that we all grew up and moved away, searching for management jobs with no sun attached. The family farms were bought up by Cadillac-driving men named Clarence or Buford who could afford tractors while the former labor force now is in the heat only from our front door to the car parked overnight in the shade. That is how we handle the Georgia heat.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about that. I grew up in SW Georgia about 80 miles north of the Cracker Line, that mythical line dividing Georgia and Florida, which defined a swath of about 10-12 miles each side from Jacksonville to the Alabama line as a place you did not want to break down in after dark, without regard to color, creed or national origin. Somebody said it is more civilized now but I think he was trying to trick me. That godawful Big Daddy heat wrecked family farms. You started in those fields -- tobacco, peanut, cotton, corn, truck crops -- at about age eight and worked sunup to sundown, and the first lesson you learned was the longer you whined the longer you stayed in the heat. So it was that we all grew up and moved away, searching for management jobs with no sun attached. The family farms were bought up by Cadillac-driving men named Clarence or Buford who could afford tractors while the former labor force now is in the heat only from our front door to the car parked overnight in the shade. That is how we handle the Georgia heat.

Sounds like "God's Little Acre".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There’s nothing quite like driving through rural South Georgia on a country lane with the sun overhead and fields full of cotton on both sides. ( or peanuts or tobacco or soy beans, etc. ) One of the most peaceful experiences I’ve had the pleasure to enjoy. Whomever said it’s the little things in life that mean the most knew what he was talking about.

Now you can keep the damn gnats, but I’ll take all the rest! ;)

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Its not a matter of can you handle the heat. Sure, if I had to be in the heat to make a living I would do it. But you're asking people to pay a lot of money to sit in 95 degree heat for 3-1/2 hours when they can just stay at home and watch it on TV. Also, you're ruining the tailgate atmosphere with so many noon games. Schools can't sell their souls for TV money and then blame the fans that are getting the shaft for not going along with it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There’s nothing quite like driving through rural South Georgia on a country lane with the sun overhead and fields full of cotton on both sides. ( or peanuts or tobacco or soy beans, etc. ) One of the most peaceful experiences I’ve had the pleasure to enjoy. Whomever said it’s the little things in life that mean the most knew what he was talking about.

From that tobacco field looking out was not so bucolic and no warm fuzzies attached. Tobacco croppers were covered in black tar and nicotine and squishy remains of juicy green tobacco worms, crushed as those leaves were snapped off for the tobacco sled. Row after row, hour after hour, joining mad dogs and Englishmen, hoping to finish before dark to wash the tar away with kerosene, then sprint to the swimming hole to wash off the kerosene, and any water moccasins were on their own. Education certainly made me middle class mobile, but those field crops concentrated the mind. I suppose, Cheese, it all depends on which end of the tobacco/cotton/peanut field you're on. (I drive past a cotton field today, leveled with mechanized pickers, and there is more cotton left in the field than baled. But I never have the urge to pick it.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I just realized a major change has occured that will impact the ability to enjoy the noon game !
We have a new defensive scheme!

We can still get in early and eat our lucky taco under the stands where there is a cool breeze. We can still take our giant ice dringk down to watch pre game. At about half time i would time a giant drink run right after we scored our punted. With the tv timeout and the bend but don't break defense i could be back without risking missing much. Then we watch half time and it cools off in 4th quarter.

BUT now w the aggressive defense, i might miss some exciting plays!

problems problems- what wonderful problems

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
From that tobacco field looking out was not so bucolic and no warm fuzzies attached. Tobacco croppers were covered in black tar and nicotine and squishy remains of juicy green tobacco worms, crushed as those leaves were snapped off for the tobacco sled. Row after row, hour after hour, joining mad dogs and Englishmen, hoping to finish before dark to wash the tar away with kerosene, then sprint to the swimming hole to wash off the kerosene, and any water moccasins were on their own. Education certainly made me middle class mobile, but those field crops concentrated the mind. I suppose, Cheese, it all depends on which end of the tobacco/cotton/peanut field you're on. (I drive past a cotton field today, leveled with mechanized pickers, and there is more cotton left in the field than baled. But I never have the urge to pick it.)
I know what you mean about the cotton. Speaking of tobacco, I have several burner cages stacked up in my backyard. My wife and I make furniture out of them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know what you mean about the cotton. Speaking of tobacco, I have several burner cages stacked up in my backyard. My wife and I make furniture out of it.
images

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That looks remarkably like a picture I have on the wall. In season tobacco was strung under the shelter; otherwise, plows, rakes, etc. were stored under there. Per your furniture from cages, the most remarkable counter top I ever saw -- priceless almost -- was made from the wood strips that once protected the beds of the late '40s, early '50s pickup trucks. Cut from ash or oak I gather, but the aging and wear were finely sanded and varnished several coats. Just amazing. Kitchen counters that dominated the whole house. I guess what you and your wife do would in these days be considered "repurposing"?

Milwaukee

Banned
It's not the time or the temp. The people complaining now would just find another excuse if there were night games. "I tell ya, you try getting out of Midtown traffic on a Saturday night, No Thanks!" "Some of us like to get up and take our family to the early service the next morning and don't appreciate having to be out late, I'll pass" etc etc etc etc etc

I'll sign a petition for the complaining to stop.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I travel back and forth from Atlanta and Florida a lot, so going through South GA backroads is a must. The roads I take go past a lot of lakes and ponds, so I always wonder "Hmm, wonder if I should take 30 minutes and throw a line in that pond to see if I can catch something..."

Then I realize I'm in South GA, and there's a pretty high percentage that people who own land down here also own guns. Ain't no 10lb bass worth a bullet whizzing by my head.

I travel back and forth from Atlanta and Florida a lot, so going through South GA backroads is a must. The roads I take go past a lot of lakes and ponds, so I always wonder "Hmm, wonder if I should take 30 minutes and throw a line in that pond to see if I can catch something..."

Then I realize I'm in South GA, and there's a pretty high percentage that people who own land down here also own guns. Ain't no 10lb bass worth a bullet whizzing by my head.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Very true!

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I will sign your petition Gold1.

I hate noon games in September:

1. Call me entitled, I prefer to tailgate before the game. Nooners find me eating a Chick-Filet biscuit. Not the same as cooking out after the game. I feel like the entitled are the ones that "do brunch" at their tailgate. "Hey Buffy, pour me another Mimosa..."
2. Call me entitled, but night games have more intensity.
3. Call me entitled, but the East Upper Deck is miserable when the sun beats down in September. (Note: I have attended every home game since 1985 (sans one because my kid was playing ball at the same time)) I speak from experience.
4. Call me entitled, but as others have stated, getting the noon game means your team ain't at the top.
5. Call me entitled, but I did my time as a kid practicing/playing football in Georgia in the August and September heat. As an old man, I prefer cooler conditions.

Maybe I missed something, but does anyone prefer Noon games in September?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This topic has got to be the biggest waste of time ever. If you get 100k signatures it won't matter.

I think you are 100% correct. I also wonder if this (the fact that the fans and their issues and concerns) truly don't matter at the end of the day isn't directly related to declining attendance at many schools. You can't serve two masters....and TV (or $ if you will) is the master that is being served first.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
4. Call me entitled, but as others have stated, getting the noon game means your team ain't at the top.
We played Clemson in 2014 at noon as our last home in conference game of the season and it was the most disappointing turnout since I've been attending games. Attendance was under 50k. We were 8-2 and playing for a chance at ACC Championship and NY6 bowl. If that doesn't draw fans and a prime-time TV spot I don't know what will.