Petition to stop noon home games

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For some hard data points, which are admittedly scarce, GT was the 45th ranked team in TV viewership in 2013. (UNC was 28 since that team was brought up) In 2014, even with several great matchups and a top 10 finish to the season, GT didn't crack the top 25. As we have noted above and elsewhere, until we fix our brand, and become willing to throw money hand over fist into the program, we will continue to be treated as an also ran when it's time for consideration for game times, bowl selections, etc. We can gripe and complain and petition all we want, but until we make a decided effort to improve our lot in life, then we will continue to deal from a position of weakness in these regards. If we want more "respect" from the media in scheduling and reporting our games, then we need to go out there and show them we are serious about competing with the factories in football. Right now, the GTAA is doing all it can, it's beyond time for our fan base to step up and donate and attend and worry a whole heck of a lot more about making noise and cheering our team than whether or not our game is at 12, 12:30, 3:30, etc...

http://thesportseconomist.com/2015/02/09/analyzing-2014-college-football-television-ratings/

http://thesportseconomist.com/2015/02/09/analyzing-2014-college-football-television-ratings/

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It's pretty simple. Games that are more likely to be watched are put in better time slots. That doesn't mean that the teams are better...it just means that based on the network's research, more people will tune in.

I know everyone hates it, but even when North Carolina is playing 3-9 football, they draw a much larger TV crowd than Tech does when it's playing 8-4 football. To get it changed you need to grow interest in Georgia Tech football
... soooo it's all about the money. Got it. [emoji41]

For some hard data points, which are admittedly scarce, GT was the 45th ranked team in TV viewership in 2013. (UNC was 28 since that team was brought up) In 2014, even with several great matchups and a top 10 finish to the season, GT didn't crack the top 25. As we have noted above and elsewhere, until we fix our brand, and become willing to throw money hand over fist into the program, we will continue to be treated as an also ran when it's time for consideration for game times, bowl selections, etc. We can gripe and complain and petition all we want, but until we make a decided effort to improve our lot in life, then we will continue to deal from a position of weakness in these regards. If we want more "respect" from the media in scheduling and reporting our games, then we need to go out there and show them we are serious about competing with the factories in football. Right now, the GTAA is doing all it can, it's beyond time for our fan base to step up and donate and attend and worry a whole heck of a lot more about making noise and cheering our team than whether or not our game is at 12, 12:30, 3:30, etc...

Personally, I dont think that the "Shut up and deal with it" philosophy is very productive on the issue of having 5 noon tv home games for each of the past 2 seasons. I still believe that a reasonable request by the ACC, whether tv works with that request or not, is probably the best next step.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Personally, I dont think that the "Shut up and deal with it" philosophy is very productive on the issue of having 5 noon tv home games for each of the past 2 seasons. I still believe that a reasonable request by the ACC, whether tv works with that request or not, is probably the best next step.

So, you would rather have more non-televised games as long as they don't start at noon? Because that's what the answer is.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not at all. I, and probably most or our fanbase would rather have televised non-noon games.

Well, that's why a good portion of our games have been at noon. We're fortunate to be on TV. I understand that some people don't like the times, but to see it as a sign of disrespect is simplistic and wrong. We don't command the best time slots, but we're a strong enough brand to get on TV. My point was that if we want to get the better time slots, then we as a fan base need to make sure we are prepared to be a fan base that can compete with the factories that do command those time slots. That takes money and presence.

Well, that's why a good portion of our games have been at noon. We're fortunate to be on TV. I understand that some people don't like the times, but to see it as a sign of disrespect is simplistic and wrong. We don't command the best time slots, but we're a strong enough brand to get on TV. My point was that if we want to get the better time slots, then we as a fan base need to make sure we are prepared to be a fan base that can compete with the factories that do command those time slots. That takes money and presence.
Filling the stadium, no matter the time or opponent, is part of what makes a team "attractive" to the networks. Winning is obviously most important, but if the atmosphere in any stadium is not electric and exciting, then why would those not in the stadium be excited about watching it either? I HATE noon games, but I'm gonna be in my seats at least 15 minutes before kickoff no matter who the opponent is or what time we kick off.

We will never compete with the factories when it comes to fan support and never have in the modern age. If we are waiting on that then it's a fool's proposition. There just aren't enough of us compared to any factory or primary state school. That said, we have to seek out other avenues.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Filling the stadium, no matter the time or opponent, is part of what makes a team "attractive" to the networks. Winning is obviously most important, but if the atmosphere in any stadium is not electric and exciting, then why would those not in the stadium be excited about watching it either? I HATE noon games, but I'm gonna be in my seats at least 15 minutes before kickoff no matter who the opponent is or what time we kick off.

Can you also get the students in their seats 15 minutes before kickoff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will never compete with the factories when it comes to fan support and never have in the modern age. If we are waiting on that then it's a fool's proposition. There just aren't enough of us compared to any factory or primary state school. That said, we have to seek out other avenues.
There's no reason why a non-factory school can't at least fill the stadium for every game. It's not unreasonable to expect 45,000 Tech fans for a game and another 10,000 for the opponent. The empty seats SHOULD be because the opponents don't bring many fans, and not because Tech fans don't show up.

There's no reason why a non-factory school can't at least fill the stadium for every game. It's not unreasonable to expect 45,000 Tech fans for a game and another 10,000 for the opponent. The empty seats SHOULD be because the opponents don't bring many fans, and not because Tech fans don't show up.

I hear you and agree that we need more GT fans who will come to the games. I just can't remember the last season where we consistently filled the stadium with our own fans.