Petition to stop noon home games

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hell, they're not even in their seats 15 minutes after kickoff. Really pathetic.
I think it’s pathetic, too, but in my day, the students were treated a whole helluva lot better by the GTAA. The student section was in the lower east and there was a huge block of students on the 50 yd line (flash cards). It was easy to sneak booze in, too.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it’s pathetic, too, but in my day, the students were treated a whole helluva lot better by the GTAA. The student section was in the lower east and there was a huge block of students on the 50 yd line (flash cards). It was easy to sneak booze in, too.

Cheese, there really were 'good old days', am I right? As a rat, I sat on bleachers below the east stands. As an upperclassman, I moved up to the lower deck then the upper deck. Great seats for a game, except for the sun. But we always brought in some liquid refreshment.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Do y’all think students who don’t attend football games do so because a) they don’t know anything about football or b) they are studying or c) they are partying d) other - please specify.

Personally, I tend to think we do have students who study quite a bit but I also think if they thought going to a game was fun then they would make time. Not to mention, on my post game walk to lot W21 I see a lot (100 - 200) of students playing music and what looks like drinking games by the Ferst Center for the Arts.

I think our students don’t know much about football and their interest in it is eclipsed by activities they see as more important or more fun. I’d like to see how many students would show up for soccer or lacrosse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Do y’all think students who don’t attend football games do so because a) they don’t know anything about football or b) they are studying or c) they are partying d) other - please specify.

Personally, I tend to think we do have students who study quite a bit but I also think if they thought going to a game was fun then they would make time. Not to mention, on my post game walk to lot W21 I see a lot (100 - 200) of students playing music and what looks like drinking games by the Ferst Center for the Arts.

I think our students don’t know much about football and their interest in it is eclipsed by activities they see as more important or more fun. I’d like to see how many students would show up for soccer or lacrosse.

I think a lot of the problem is a lot of the GT students are from other countries and don't know anything about football or don't care about it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

My experience as freshmen that lived at Smith (keep in mind, Smith dorms are directly across the street from BDS):

Saturday mornings, there were maybe a handful of students on my hallway that even thought of going to the game. Most of the students, and there was maybe 3 international students in my hallway (2 from the Middle East who happened to love going to football games), were busy running errands to get ready the following week or making plans to hang out with friends doing other things off campus. Some may have been off to the library or labs, but a good majority were not interested in going to games for various reasons. This was during the Joe Hamilton heyday when O'Leary had a good team.

Most of the time, the Smith dormies were more annoyed by all the traffic and fans they had to navigate through to get on with their day.

Jmonty71

Banned
Here's the thing, we might never be able to go toe to toe in number of fans, but we can still compete with the factories. Our stadium seats 55,000. We have the fan base to fill it, we just don't. We tout the financial success of our graduates, yet we lament that our athletics are woefully underfunded. There is a disconnect between a good portion of our student (and eventually alumni) body and the athletic fan base of GT. Our branding initiatives need to do better at bridging that chasm. (It's more than just a gap) We need our alumni who don't really care for sports to understand how important athletics are to the Institution. It's the other side of the Total Person Program put in place by Homer Rice. If we only pitch that to our athletes, we are failing as an Institution. What we can do is create an endowment for athletics and work to fund it. Leverage the ingenuity of GT students and researchers to pursue innovations in the athletics arena. There is no reason why we can't compete, except that we are not willing to pay the cost of competing. From what I have seen so far, TStan understands this, and hopefully we will begin to see changes in the near future.
Let me say one thing about this. A lot of UGA fans that I know, never attended UGA. I cannot say that GT has a large non-alumni fan base. Again, most UGA fans are band wagon followers.

There are a lot of things that can fix this. Proper marketing, winning teams, better atmosphere and the sale of alcohol can improve attendance. I agree that there needs to be an increase of funds placed into the GTAA. Also, that money needs to be used to attract better/higher ranked recruits (in all sports).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
!
Let me say one thing about this. A lot of UGA fans that I know, never attended UGA. I cannot say that GT has a large non-alumni fan base. Again, most UGA fans are band wagon followers.

There are a lot of things that can fix this. Proper marketing, winning teams, better atmosphere and the sale of alcohol can improve attendance. I agree that there needs to be an increase of funds placed into the GTAA. Also, that money needs to be used to attract better/higher ranked recruits (in all sports).
The side walk fans are the key.
Many UGA sidewalk fans are regular folks.
We have to many elitist fans that crack jokes - walmart, clemson fans drive your tractor home, etc. The sad thing is the gt folks are probably good people and would say something funny but not mean if they just paused.

I wonder if we could get some local ga tech grads to volunenteer as ambassadors to opponents and street fans. Norte Dame does this - guys wear Blazers ( stored at school) and come around the stadium greeting folks. Even w the but whipping , I hope to go back to see gt play them in a few years. Just a great experience.

Also we need more stuff (BUZZ-) going on before and during the game. Why come early and see nothing

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
!

The side walk fans are the key.
Many UGA sidewalk fans are regular folks.
We have to many elitist fans that crack jokes - walmart, clemson fans drive your tractor home, etc. The sad thing is the gt folks are probably good people and would say something funny but not mean if they just paused.

I wonder if we could get some local ga tech grads to volunenteer as ambassadors to opponents and street fans. Norte Dame does this - guys wear Blazers ( stored at school) and come around the stadium greeting folks. Even w the but whipping , I hope to go back to see gt play them in a few years. Just a great experience.

Also we need more stuff (BUZZ-) going on before and during the game. Why come early and see nothing
Those ambassadors would probably get abused and beaten up by the type of UGAG scum that paint their heads and wear Road Warriors type shoulder pads......................................................................just sayin';)

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
!
I've always been a Georgia Tech fan, always. However, a long time ago during a darker period of my life, I admit, I attended two Georgia home football games. Kinda like someone admitting to watching the "View". OK, I did that once too. I'm so ashamed. But anyway, one thing that they did that impressed me was they would have a pee-wee football game played in front of their fans before the game. Their fans loved it. That probably won't get more GT fans to buy tickets, but I thought it was unique.