Petition to stop noon home games

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Since we are all throwing around conspiracy theories, let me add another one... What if we have early games because it is so easy to fly in and out of Hartsfield? With an early game the announcers and broadcast team can get back to their families the same day, and the networks don't have to pay an extra night of hotel stays?
Makes as much sense as anything... ;)

The networks(mostly ESPN) don't "reward" game times. They are trying to maximize viewership across all of the game times. They don't decide to "reward" or "punish" any teams. If you were inside the meetings where they decide game times and they go against the objective of maximizing total viewership for the entire day, then you might could say "enough said" with respect to a lack of respect for GT. However, it looks like a three year old demanding a different toy to say: "I like their game time better... waah waah waah". They do not have every big game in the prime time slot and every non-interesting game in the noon slot.

On the first Saturday, the noon games for ESPN are:
  • Villanova -- Temple
  • James Madison -- NC State
  • Coastal Carolina -- USCe
  • Ole Miss -- Texas Tech
  • Texas -- Maryland
  • Oregon State -- Ohio State
  • Furman -- Clemson
  • Alcorn State -- GT

The 3:30 games are:
  • Washington State -- Wyoming
  • Austin Peay -- mutts
  • Central Michigan -- Kentucky
  • Washington -- Auburn
  • Albany -- Pittsburgh
  • Appalachian State -- Penn State
  • Marshal -- Miami(OH)

The Prime Time games have Louisville -- Alabama and Michigan -- Notre Dame, but also include such great matchups as:
  • Mercer -- Memphis
  • Nicholls -- Kansas
  • Central Arkansas -- Tulsa

The point I am trying to make is that they include high profile games, medium games, and games that will not be watched in all of the time slots. The networks do not care one bit about how the scheduling affects tailgating. They do not care if fans are hot, wet, cold, sunburned, etc. They don't even care about the expected ratings for any particular individual matchup(except the marquee games) only how the overall ratings will be for the entire day. They try to maximize television engagement, period.
The problem is not that we have scattered games starting at noon; the point is that we have SO MANY games every year starting at noon.

Since we are all throwing around conspiracy theories, let me add another one... What if we have early games because it is so easy to fly in and out of Hartsfield? With an early game the announcers and broadcast team can get back to their families the same day, and the networks don't have to pay an extra night of hotel stays?
Makes as much sense as anything... ;)
If that't the reasoning used, then it sucks even more, because they are putting themselves over the teams and the fans. I realize that actually makes sense, but that doesn't make it right.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The problem is not that we have scattered games starting at noon; the point is that we have SO MANY games every year starting at noon.

I didn't say that GT has scattered game times. I said that ESPN schedules good and bad games throughout the day to maximize viewership. They schedule games in different time slots to maximize viewership. They do not owe GT anything more than the money they pay to the ACC for the right to schedule the games in any slot that they see best for their business. ESPN pays a lot of money to the ACC and other conferences to get TV revenue. Fans who attend games might not get start times that they want. Fans who attend games have to sit around while the guy with the red cap stands on the field for a commercial time out. ESPN and the other networks pay a lot of money to the conferences, which pay a lot of money to the school's athletic departments, and the net result is that fans who attend the games are inconvenienced. Take TV and TV money out of college football and the athletic departments can cater to the fans who come to the games.

I didn't say that GT has scattered game times. I said that ESPN schedules good and bad games throughout the day to maximize viewership. They schedule games in different time slots to maximize viewership. They do not owe GT anything more than the money they pay to the ACC for the right to schedule the games in any slot that they see best for their business. ESPN pays a lot of money to the ACC and other conferences to get TV revenue. Fans who attend games might not get start times that they want. Fans who attend games have to sit around while the guy with the red cap stands on the field for a commercial time out. ESPN and the other networks pay a lot of money to the conferences, which pay a lot of money to the school's athletic departments, and the net result is that fans who attend the games are inconvenienced. Take TV and TV money out of college football and the athletic departments can cater to the fans who come to the games.
You missed my point. If Tech has one, maybe two noon games (at home) per year, I will quietly suffer, but the FACT is that we have had more than just one or two per year the past several years, and that is what I think sucks big time. I realize the networks call the shots, and they don't HAVE to do anything, but I also don't HAVE to sit quietly by and not express my opinions.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You missed my point. If Tech has one, maybe two noon games (at home) per year, I will quietly suffer, but the FACT is that we have had more than just one or two per year the past several years, and that is what I think sucks big time. I realize the networks call the shots, and they don't HAVE to do anything, but I also don't HAVE to sit quietly by and not express my opinions.

You can express your opinion. I just don't understand anything other than you are not happy. Showing other teams with a later start time and "enuf said" is what I said reminds me of a three year old. Do you have anything you would like to have happen? Do you want the ACC to turn down the TV money? Do you want ESPN to change their business policies to cater to onsite fan bases instead of maximizing television profit? If you want either of those things to happen, you aren't going to get it. I haven't seen anything realistic suggested. Only crying and moaning.(Not particularly from you, but most of this thread)

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sure the same thing can be said about UGA fans. But those of us who value brain cells don't like being or being around either.
:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Useless fact. It was thought at one time that brain cells did not regenerate when they were killed, that they were gone forever. It has since been learned that they actually do grow back. But the kill off rate obviously exceeds the regeneration rate for UGA fans.

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Useless fact. It was thought at one time that brain cells did not regenerate when they were killed, that they were gone forever. It has since been learned that they actually do grow back. But the kill off rate obviously exceeds the regeneration rate for UGA fans.
For mutt fans, even with regeneration, nothing from nothing still results in nothing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The networks(mostly ESPN) don't "reward" game times. They are trying to maximize viewership across all of the game times. They don't decide to "reward" or "punish" any teams. If you were inside the meetings where they decide game times and they go against the objective of maximizing total viewership for the entire day, then you might could say "enough said" with respect to a lack of respect for GT. However, it looks like a three year old demanding a different toy to say: "I like their game time better... waah waah waah". They do not have every big game in the prime time slot and every non-interesting game in the noon slot.

On the first Saturday, the noon games for ESPN are:
  • Villanova -- Temple
  • James Madison -- NC State
  • Coastal Carolina -- USCe
  • Ole Miss -- Texas Tech
  • Texas -- Maryland
  • Oregon State -- Ohio State
  • Furman -- Clemson
  • Alcorn State -- GT

The 3:30 games are:
  • Washington State -- Wyoming
  • Austin Peay -- mutts
  • Central Michigan -- Kentucky
  • Washington -- Auburn
  • Albany -- Pittsburgh
  • Appalachian State -- Penn State
  • Marshal -- Miami(OH)

The Prime Time games have Louisville -- Alabama and Michigan -- Notre Dame, but also include such great matchups as:
  • Mercer -- Memphis
  • Nicholls -- Kansas
  • Central Arkansas -- Tulsa

The point I am trying to make is that they include high profile games, medium games, and games that will not be watched in all of the time slots. The networks do not care one bit about how the scheduling affects tailgating. They do not care if fans are hot, wet, cold, sunburned, etc. They don't even care about the expected ratings for any particular individual matchup(except the marquee games) only how the overall ratings will be for the entire day. They try to maximize television engagement, period.
you've listed all the games in EST. However, the 3:30 Washington State-Wyoming game is played at 1:30 local time, the Washington - Auburn is played at 2:30 local time. Memphis, Kansas and Tulsa are all in CST as well.

As far as I'm concerned, here in Chicago, our Noon games are really 11am games. For me, Noon games are great. Done by 2pm.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's been said before, but recent posts look only at start times: Pitt Albany at 3:30 is not on TV.

When we are playing at noon vs Alcorn, there are TVs getting our game. GT football is being seen by more than just the fans seeking it out.

You can't just look at the start time but start time plus TV if you want to compare.

I can agree that we shouldn't complain about playing some 12:00 or 12:30 tv games each season, but 10 tv nooners over the past 2 seasons is just rediculous. As far as what could be done, I would think that the ACC could make a request to esecpn to limit the tv home nooners for each ACC member to a maximum of 3 per season. Now, I do understand that the esecpn nazis don't have to do squat per the current tv contract, but I do beelieve that such a request would be reasonable to at least make and see what happens.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I can agree that we shouldn't complain about playing some 12:00 or 12:30 tv games each season, but 10 tv nooners over the past 2 seasons is just rediculous. As far as what could be done, I would think that the ACC could make a request to esecpn to limit the tv home nooners for each ACC member to a maximum of 3 per season. Now, I do understand that the esecpn nazis don't have to do squat per the current tv contract, but I do beelieve that such a request would be reasonable to at least make and see what happens.
AMEN

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It's an interesting suggestion. It is asking RSN to put, eg, WF on TV and GT on online only.

It's an interesting suggestion. It is asking RSN to put, eg, WF on TV and GT on online only.

There is absolutely no good reason why a single ACC member should be saddled with 5 or more home tv 12:00 or 12:30 games in a single season. I just don't buy the need to give GT 4 or more tv nooners at home for the sole purpose of maximizing viewership for the day.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There is absolutely no good reason why a single ACC member should be saddled with 5 or more home tv 12:00 or 12:30 games in a single season. I just don't buy the need to give GT 4 or more tv nooners at home for the sole purpose of maximizing viewership for the day.

I appreciate your point. Like I said, interesting.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty simple. Games that are more likely to be watched are put in better time slots. That doesn't mean that the teams are better...it just means that based on the network's research, more people will tune in.

I know everyone hates it, but even when North Carolina is playing 3-9 football, they draw a much larger TV crowd than Tech does when it's playing 8-4 football. To get it changed you need to grow interest in Georgia Tech football