Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I know most of the fanbase will be short sided and understanding GT football but I think the fact that Nate Woody was hired and that the changes we need are coming... It would be foolish to not extend him. For not only recruiting but that operating on a 2 year contract in College is not a good look. I believe that if we can somehow improve defensively we can possibly move some games into the win column and everyone will have a rosy look again.

I encourage anyone to look at the potential coaching pool and see if you can find young successful coaches that work at GT...

Success is never guaranteed. No matter how much people despise CPJ's offense... time and time again it has produced points on a consistent basis. It is amazing that many would prefer to just move on thinking that a quality replacement will be ready to go.

And to think we were so close to Rick Neuheisal.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
CPJ will be overseeing what perhaps is a GT Football expansion, it's needed.

Not to mention I believe he'll retire soon.

Yes, I agree that retirement is on the horizon. Not tomorrow, not next year but its coming and he is getting ready to move on to the next stage in his life. Happens to all of us. Some adapt and do well and others have a hard time with it. We will see. He and Todd have what seems to be a good relationship and a plan to revitalize Georgia Tech football. Just be patient.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
quite the opposite. Shock and anger. No one wanted GOL to leave. But GOL did get tired with the administration. Thats true.
I remember a little bit of a sentiment that GO'L was never going to be at the top again at GT once Friedgen moved on. The feeling was that CRF was the real brilliance behind the operation and that GO'L didn't add much to the equation. We didn't have as good of a year after the 'Fridge left. We had just lost to Ugag who had just hired a hotshot new coach (CMR). 3IAR with the Fridge, then a loss the year after he left, to a first year HC. There was some excitement about the possibility of moving on from GO'L and that Notre Dame may have done us a favor.
That was by no means all of the fanbase, but there was a significant portion that felt that way.

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say that roof didn't have integrity or that he's not a great guy. The point is that he didn't exactly leave of his own volition "similar to Oleary". And I agree Oleary obviously left and didn't even get the job because he has no integrity.

BTW, I think it was huge of Roof to not make a spectacle of leaving. He did GT a solid. Having said that, I think something was going to change - perhaps including being fired or being asked to step down as DC, but something was happening. His departure was not made without influence. Oleary left because he saw greener pastures.

Coach Roof is a class act period. I did not like his style of defense but given the talent and depth issues it may not have mattered much one way or the other.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I remember a little bit of a sentiment that G'OL was never going to be at the top again at GT once Friedgen moved on. The feeling was that CRF was the real brilliance behind the operation and that G'OL didn't add much to the equation. There was some excitement about the possibility of moving on from G'OL and that Notre Dame may have done us a favor.
That was by no means all of the fanbase, but there was a significant portion that felt that way.

I remember this. I was a big O'Leary fan back then, and felt like people were way to quick to put all the success on RF.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
i feel like this is like a pendulum. swinging where we will have a great year, good years, blah years, and a bad year. as much as i would like for the pendulum to stay at great i don't see that as a realistic goal. i like CPJ because he has given us the chance for great years and i am willing to take the bad ones to have the great ones. Sure beats being in the middle and the pendulum not moving.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...orgia-tech-assistants/WsEsrL5wc1CSepMm6kRhIK/

"Given a raise and extension through the 2017 season at the end of the 2014 season, Roof received another two-year extension and pay increase. Making $750,000 annually, Roof was given a raise to $800,000 and will be under contract through the 2019 season."

It can't be any more clear than that.

Ah thanks. Thats why i couldnt find. In my ajc.

Ok. So what is interesting about contracts is some allow demotions as pay reduction without violation of the contract. Others gaurantee all.

I wonder what his said and if truly he was asked to be a positions coach or if paul said gt will eat the cost find a new job or what. Very interesting. We all know roof didnt leave on his own. Thats clear.

Deleted member 2897

Ah thanks. Thats why i couldnt find. In my ajc.

Ok. So what is interesting about contracts is some allow demotions as pay reduction without violation of the contract. Others gaurantee all.

I wonder what his said and if truly he was asked to be a positions coach or if paul said gt will eat the cost find a new job or what. Very interesting. We all know roof didnt leave on his own. Thats clear.

Yea. Say what you want about Roof, but he could have probably cost us $1.6M (2 years of his contract) had he really wanted to.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yea. Say what you want about Roof, but he could have probably cost us $1.6M (2 years of his contract) had he really wanted to.

possibly. Thats why I wonder what I wonder. What leverage did GT have...but yes, potentially you are 100% right.

btw, no one said roof was a bad guy. Certainly I didn't.

All I said is he uses way too much hair gel, is an avg coach (maybe avg is his ceiling), and a overrated recruiter. But he seems like he is a honorable, decent good man and father.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
quite the opposite. Shock and anger. No one wanted GOL to leave. But GOL did get tired with the administration. Thats true.

We all certainly remember the shock & anger when GOL left for Notre Dame sure. It’s the growing feeling of discontent that has faded from memory. After lifting the program to 10 wins in ‘98 that ceiling became the new floor, and he wasn’t able to match that afterward, dropping to 7-5 and losing to Georgia before bolting. The fanbase lost their appreciation, so when a premier job came calling you bet he took it.

Yes it’s not *exactly* like Roof, but he definitely didn’t get fired - he left - and declining fan-love was a factor IMO.