Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Roof was not fired. He left on his own to take a different job where he’d be appreciated...probably because he saw the writing on the wall [message boards] that the fanbase wanted him gone. Similar to O’Leary btw.

Whoa ... that's not quite how I remembered it. Actually, I think you're wrong on that part. O'Leary hadn't overstayed his welcome when he left based on my recollection.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
This move also makes Woody feel more secure in his decision since CPJ will now be under contract for a longer period of time. Not saying that Woody won't have to earn his keep but it would make sense that he probably is happy about the news since CPJ is familiar to him and sought him out as his "choice" to hire as DC

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof was not fired. He left on his own to take a different job where he’d be appreciated...probably because he saw the writing on the wall [message boards] that the fanbase wanted him gone. Similar to O’Leary btw.

O'Leary left to go to one of the premier jobs in all of college football. Roof was pretty much told don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The two are nowhere similar.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
CPJ will be overseeing what perhaps is a GT Football expansion, it's needed.

Not to mention I believe he'll retire soon.

Exactly. With everything being done to move GT into the 21st century from a football operations standpoint, it would make little sense not to extend his contract to cover 4 years of time. Also, as others have pointed out, two year extensions are the norm in coaching as coaches approach the end of their contract. It allows for stability in recruiting.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
O'Leary left to go to one of the premier jobs in all of college football. Roof was pretty much told don't let the door hit you on the way out.

My only question is this: If Roof had not left for NCSU, would he have been fired after the season? I've heard from a couple of sources that he would have been allowed to stay one more year, but grudgingly. Instead, he took the opportunity to leave, and had the integrity to not screw up a great recruiting class in the process, but instead, sealed our best get on D in TK Chimedza. I would hope our fan base would be more appreciative about the way he left us, but sadly, the anti-Roof hate is just too much.

BTW, don't even get me started on O'Leary and integrity...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Mid year decline that went into End of year slump gives me bad feeling, so would prefer contract extension in oct 2018. Tstan is going to be hooked at the hip with coach. That gives me hope.

As a technical matter hope it has a medium base salary with big big incentives and no killer buyouts.

1. He runs a clean program where integrity is not questioned.
2. He is big time loyal to his staff - the bad =if mtsu didn't steal our signals Groh might still coach at gt.. And the good- he didn't hesitate to honor J Rats scholy after the accident = see 1.
3 He doesn't rat out his boss or gt. His support in recruiting started with near zero staff. The bad thing about this suffering in silence is its taken 3 years after orange bowl to get a pass the hat started. They would have a better $ success on the high of the OB and we would have been recruiting better and wider for 3 years. But way more probably happened behind the scenes. See 1.
4. He doesnt get too high or too low. See 1.
5. He loves the game and so does tstan. .
Lets do it - see 1

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
My only question is this: If Roof had not left for NCSU, would he have been fired after the season? I've heard from a couple of sources that he would have been allowed to stay one more year, but grudgingly. Instead, he took the opportunity to leave, and had the integrity to not screw up a great recruiting class in the process, but instead, sealed our best get on D in TK Chimedza. I would hope our fan base would be more appreciative about the way he left us, but sadly, the anti-Roof hate is just too much.

BTW, don't even get me started on O'Leary and integrity...

I didn't say that roof didn't have integrity or that he's not a great guy. The point is that he didn't exactly leave of his own volition "similar to Oleary". And I agree Oleary obviously left and didn't even get the job because he has no integrity.

BTW, I think it was huge of Roof to not make a spectacle of leaving. He did GT a solid. Having said that, I think something was going to change - perhaps including being fired or being asked to step down as DC, but something was happening. His departure was not made without influence. Oleary left because he saw greener pastures.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Not saying this will happen, but GTAA sure does have faith in CPJ for not having another 5-6 win season again.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Mid year decline that went into End of year slump gives me bad feeling, so would prefer contract extension in oct 2018. Tstan is going to be hooked at the hip with coach. That gives me hope.

As a technical matter hope it has a medium base salary with big big incentives and no killer buyouts.

1. He runs a clean program where integrity is not questioned.
2. He is big time loyal to his staff - the bad =if mtsu didn't steal our signals Groh might still coach at gt.. And the good- he didn't hesitate to honor J Rats scholy after the accident = see 1.
3 He doesn't rat out his boss or gt. His support in recruiting started with near zero staff. The bad thing about this suffering in silence is its taken 3 years after orange bowl to get a pass the hat started. They would have a better $ success on the high of the OB and we would have been recruiting better and wider for 3 years. But way more probably happened behind the scenes. See 1.
4. He doesnt get too high or too low. See 1.
5. He loves the game and so does tstan. .
Lets do it - see 1

Good points. On #3, however, he's been on record, before TStan got here, of noting that facilities and staff need upgrades. It's just either fallen on deaf ears, or others pointed it out as excuse making. He said the following in October of 2016, before TStan got here:

"The thing about it is, as far as commitment, as an Institution, you have to think about where you want to be, and where do you fit? So if you want to fit in the upper echelon then clearly we're going to have to do a good job of raising money and upping our budget and upping our facilities and upping everything around our football program to be comparable with the teams you want to compete with. It's like I tell our guys every day, you can have expectations all you want, but if you don't have a commitment to reach those expectations, it doesn't do any good. ... Everybody says, 'Georgia Tech doesn't recruit 4- and 5-star kids', which is a joke. We try to recruit them just like everybody else. But, you've got to have the facilities to match up, you've got the have the fan support, you've got to have all the other things that go along with them that recruits are making decisions based on. So you have to make a commitment. We're surrounded by Auburn, georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Clemson, Florida State -- if we see ourselves in that light, then we've got a lot of work to do to get to where they are with a commitment towards football. That's all I'm saying."

This was a response on the article:

"He knows his time is up and is setting up his excuses for his next job as to why he did poorly here.
I’m not sure why he is worried, we are having gold outs the rest of the year so we’ll win.
Hopefully the new AD will bring in boosters and get a new clothing deal to help with revenue.
What really helps with money/recruits/attendance/everything is winning."

Also of note, CPJ apparently had a bad relationship with MBob, who showed little interest in the program. Probably hurt us as well.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not saying this will happen, but GTAA sure does have faith in CPJ for not having another 5-6 win season again.
We lead by double digits in most of the games. In reality we had no business losing them even with the way we played offense. Roof's D's were never able to play the scheme the way it needed to be played. the Duke game pretty much sealed his fate when he regressed to full no roof defense.

Deleted member 2897

We lead by double digits in most of the games. In reality we had no business losing them even with the way we played offense. Roof's D's were never able to play the scheme the way it needed to be played. the Duke game pretty much sealed his fate when he regressed to full no roof defense.

Exactly. We all want to win games. Certainly CPJ does. We lead by double digits in every game except Clemson and Georgia - who both went to the CFP. We should not be making emotional, long lasting decisions on firing coaches over balls that are double deflected and then caught on 4th downs. Also, its one thing to say you want another coach - but you also have to find one you like, can afford, and fits your culture.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I really like CPJ and want him to retire here, but this seems a bit premature. Probably should have waited until after this upcoming year. I believe that this is just something to show recruits.
Yep. It's not like anyone is going to hire him away.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Roof was extended and given a raise 2 months before he was "fired" so this doesn't really mean anything to me.

he was? where did you see this; we extended roof and gave him a raise end of season this past year? I totally missed this. The last extension I was aware was in 2015.

Frankly, I can't find evidence of this online but it may be true. His 2015 contract was set to end in 2017. But apparently you are saying he signed another?

I was told his choice was reduced salary (bigtime) and positions coach or leave....

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
he was? where did you see this; we extended roof and gave him a raise end of season this past year? I totally missed this. The last extension I was aware was in 2015.

Frankly, I can't find evidence of this online but it may be true. His 2015 contract was set to end in 2017. But apparently you are saying he signed another?
He got a 3 year extension in early 2015. Not sure if anything happened after last season.

Deleted member 2897

I was told his choice was reduced salary (bigtime) and positions coach or leave....

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/s...h-football-assistants/UFl2TvS6pPCZXAvLuD3u0N/