Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

A couple of notable quotes from the MyAJC article on Tstan's explanation of the contract extension ---

Stansbury’s response was that first, it is critical to demonstrate stability to recruits, players and staff, and second, he has faith in Johnson.
“It may not be the first questions that’s asked in every home visit, but it’s definitely one of the top questions, is stability of the staff,” Stansbury said. “Are you going to be the head coach? Recruits want to know who they’re playing for, that’s for sure.”

“We have to put our coaches in the best position to be successful by making sure that they’ve got what they need,” Stansbury said. “That means a full-blown recruiting staff, facilities and support for the student-athletes and all those types of things. There are more elements to success than those that may be front of mind for most fans.”

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of notable quotes from the MyAJC article on Tstan's explanation of the contract extension ---

Also:
Georgia Tech athletic director Todd Stansbury understands some fans’ ire with his decision to extend coach Paul Johnson’s contract by two years.
“Most definitely,” he said. “After the season, there was a lot of frustration there.”
“So, hey, I get it, because we compete to play for championships, but in looking at where we are, it’s not time to push the panic button.”
“We have to put our coaches in the best position to be successful by making sure that they’ve got what they need,” Stansbury said. “That means a full-blown recruiting staff, facilities and support for the student-athletes and all those types of things."

I thought that was refreshingly honest and candid. He could have gone straight into "coach-speak" and spin the situation.

I'm liking what I'm hearing out of Stansbury. My read is that ADTS is intent on giving CPJ what CPJ says he needs to succeed and giving CPJ a chance to do it.

CPJ has said the commitment didn't match the expectations. ADTS is raising the commitment... can CPJ meet the expectations? If not, I have confidence ADTS will do what needs to be done.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
No I'm not but I've talked to people from numerous fanbases including ours and the fans of other teams are happy and the fans of GT that I've talked to are not happy about this.
I noticed the two likes you got on your previous message. They must be the two guys you talked to. I didn't get your call but maybe you called my Ga fan brother-in-law that knows all the Ala and Ga QBs with stat history. On fall Saturdays he also gets as close to a college classroom as ever while entering Sanford stadium. For some reason
I have never really given a $%^& what he thinks about our coach or our school. Just saying.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I noticed the two likes you got on your previous message. They must be the two guys you talked to. I didn't get your call but maybe you called my Ga fan brother-in-law that knows all the Ala and Ga QBs with stat history. On fall Saturdays he also gets as close to a college classroom as ever while entering Sanford stadium. For some reason
I have never really given a $%^& what he thinks about our coach or our school. Just saying.
Lol

Dirty blocking? If you are referring to cut blocks, they are totally legal. You might as well call the forward pass dirty.

I think CPJ does call the forward pass dirty. :p

Still, you can read comments from other coaches at various points of the season and you will see that at least a few think we're dirty blockers.

Have you ever considered why so many fans support CPJ?

yes. I think plenty are happy with the 30% success rate vs uga and plenty are happy with 6-7 wins too. Anyone who thinks "CPJ is the best we can do" pretty much falls into that category. And I see that phrase often.

(Please don't respond with "Yeah but Chan Gailey!!". That guy deserved to be fired and I know of no Tech fan that wants him back)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
yes. I think plenty are happy with the 30% success rate vs uga and plenty are happy with 6-7 wins too. Anyone who thinks "CPJ is the best we can do" pretty much falls into that category. And I see that phrase often.

(Please don't respond with "Yeah but Chan Gailey!!". That guy deserved to be fired and I know of no Tech fan that wants him back)

Yeah but Chan Gailey!!....

I don’t know any Tech fans that are happy with less than 100% success rate vs the mutts. Many , including myself, are damn glad we aren’t suffering through a 7 game losing streak vs them.

I also don’t know any Tech fans that call a 7 win season a good one (5 losses is sure to include either a loss to a hated rival or some team considered to be “beneath us”. I know a bunch whinthink 9+ wins is a good season.

If CPJ only won 6-7 games every season he’d be out already.

CPJ may not be the best we can do. But I’m convinced we can do a whole helluva lot worse.

And anyone that judges our HC on W-L record alone....is a damn moron in my book.

Yeah but Chan Gailey!!....

I don’t know any Tech fans that are happy with less than 100% success rate vs the mutts. Many , including myself, are damn glad we aren’t suffering through a 7 game losing streak vs them.

I also don’t know any Tech fans that call a 7 win season a good one (5 losses is sure to include either a loss to a hated rival or some team considered to be “beneath us”. I know a bunch whinthink 9+ wins is a good season.

If CPJ only won 6-7 games every season he’d be out already.

CPJ may not be the best we can do. But I’m convinced we can do a whole helluva lot worse.

And anyone that judges our HC on W-L record alone....is a damn moron in my book.

I don't really disagree with most of that (though I do know some Tech fans who don't mind the 7-win seasons).

But an "It Is What It Is" attitude/mentality has crept into our fanbase that was not there pre-CPJ. Gailey would've lasted longer with that attitude in place.

IIWII is a loser's mentality IMO. It's an attitude that says "There's nothing we can do about it", which is antithetical to the overall GT attitude of "We can do anything!"

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Roof was not fired. He left on his own to take a different job where he’d be appreciated...probably because he saw the writing on the wall [message boards] that the fanbase wanted him gone. Similar to O’Leary btw.

CGOL got tired of recruiting limitations (admittance) and some big dollar donors getting in his grill. He had a chance to go to another team will Gold Helmets... he just didn't figure it would end up being his 2nd choice after ND found out he fluffed up his resume.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
oh please. There are good character kids in all programs except the mutts. DeShaun Watson - the epitome of the type of athlete we can't recruit - is by all accounts one of the nicest "good guys" who's played college football. This high-horse attitude that GT players are somehow better people than most kids in other programs is elitist and asinine.

Frankly, I hope we get kids who can play football and win games.

We recruited Watson and offered a Scholly... he just didn't give GT a lot of thought.