Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This new DC is for real. Believe It.

Ok. Maybe i am drunk. But the new dc has nothing to do with my point that we offer a ton of good offensive players that show no interest in tech for a variety of reasons. Etc. maybe i am missing your point. But. The new dc aint gonna solve large program issues etc

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ok. Maybe i am drunk. But the new dc has nothing to do with my point that we offer a ton of good offensive players that show no interest in tech for a variety of reasons. Etc. maybe i am missing your point. But. The new dc aint gonna solve large program issues etc

If the new DC does what you claimed a good DC would have done for us the past few years....we almost certainly win 9+ games. Definitely a program booster.....IF.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the new DC has done a fine job at Appy State. If you want more blitz you got it. It's hard to say if he can do the same with the talent deficit he will have unless recruiting limitations are eased but as far as scheme he's sound. We'll see.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm a fan of CPJ, don't get me wrong. But the 9 wins argument doesn't really paint the whole picture. We didn't start playing 12 games a season until 2000, and when we switched over we kept the same number of conference games on the schedule (8). This meant we were to add a non-conference game. Over the years, those have devolved into games against either 1-AA/FCS or low-level 1-A/FBS schools. Essentially it's an additional win on the schedule. In the 4 years you stated, we won exactly 9 games twice (2008 and 2016). Without Jax St/GW in 2008 and Mercer/Ga Sou in 2016, we probably don't get to 9 wins.

Again, I'm a fan of CPJ and what he's done. It's just not apples to apples when comparing 9 win seasons.

Most schools would kill for 0.650 winning percentage. That’s 8 games a year on a 12 game schedule.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We just extended a coach after his second losing year in the last 3. But hey, why not? He has a lot of people convinced that the problems are either with the guys below him, who get shown the door, the guys above him for not spending enough, or both. Always a problem with those around him, never a problem with him. It's amazing how many people refuse to hold the head coach responsible with the team struggles.

You can’t hold someone accountable for results who is not also responsible for resources. CPJ was a 0.730 winner prior to Tech, where he’s been 0.58. And under a program leadership that has been cash constrained for years due to legacy coaches, bad investments, etc. He’s been offered 8 jobs in FBS, including Auburn. He’s a good coach ... and would probably have been a great one ... at a factory school.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You can’t hold someone accountable for results who is not also responsible for resources. CPJ was a 0.730 winner prior to Tech, where he’s been 0.58. And under a program leadership that has been cash constrained for years due to legacy coaches, bad investments, etc. He’s been offered 8 jobs in FBS, including Auburn. He’s a good coach ... and would probably have been a great one ... at a factory school.
He is a great one. Wait until he leaves. I can guarantee that the next guy up (unless it's Moncken or Bohannon) will look a lot worse.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Awesome. Good to know that no head coaches should ever be held accountable. lmao.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wanna see some @33jacket breskdowns of App St D. Let’s get our D expert on the record now. That way he can evaluate without the bias of emotions from a GT win or loss.

Just sayin.:cigar:

i mentioned prior as i have time this offseason i will do some of this and post.

And i wont use the bowl footage. But games vs uga and miami primarily since i am familiar with the opponent.

By no means will i have time to expand analyzing dozens of games. But at the very least some initial observations

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If the new DC does what you claimed a good DC would have done for us the past few years....we almost certainly win 9+ games. Definitely a program booster.....IF.

Yes i agree. I believe we could have been a top 40 efficient D the past 2 years. Or so. In other words if we are 45. Or 43. Etc you get the point, vs 65. 80. Etc.

Also the O has to sustain too. W and l still a team game. But yeah provided the o performs and the d takes a jump up it could be 8,9, 10 type in a rolling three years etc.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I like the move to extend the contract for a number of reasons.

I am, and have always been, a CPJ fan. I believe he maximizes what he can get given our overall situation. IIWII to me is a realist point of view. He isn’t saying we have hit our ceiling full stop, but instead that we need better resources to get better results. It’s a data driven exercise based on program spend vis-à-vis the competition.

Further, the move signals that woody’s position here is safe for the kids he will recruit and the same on the offensive side of the ball. It’s the right move to set our program up best for recruiting this off season.

I don’t believe TS has any interest in mediocrity from the sports teams at GT - especially not from the boys at BDS where he played and was developed into the man he is today. I think he gets what GT is about. Strongest possible academics and competitive nature in anything we engage in. He has the priorities ranked correctly imho: school first then athletics - many of our previous ADs got the ranking set forth by the institute but missed the emphasis needed on spend, executive focus and leadership to maximize the athletics part.

We don’t need softer majors, we DO need broader recruiting capabilities and are making moves (including the current funding drive) to do that.

I think the future is bright.

Go Jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the move to extend the contract for a number of reasons.

I am, and have always been, a CPJ fan. I believe he maximizes what he can get given our overall situation. IIWII to me is a realist point of view. He isn’t saying we have hit our ceiling full stop, but instead that we need better resources to get better results. It’s a data driven exercise based on program spend vis-à-vis the competition.

Further, the move signals that woody’s position here is safe for the kids he will recruit and the same on the offensive side of the ball. It’s the right move to set our program up best for recruiting this off season.

I don’t believe TS has any interest in mediocrity from the sports teams at GT - especially not from the boys at BDS where he played and was developed into the man he is today. I think he gets what GT is about. Strongest possible academics and competitive nature in anything we engage in. He has the priorities ranked correctly imho: school first then athletics - many of our previous ADs got the ranking set forth by the institute but missed the emphasis needed on spend, executive focus and leadership to maximize the athletics part.

We don’t need softer majors, we DO need broader recruiting capabilities and are making moves (including the current funding drive) to do that.

I think the future is bright.

Go Jackets.

I like your positive attitude, and I think the extension gives TS what he needs and that is time. He knows the changes that CPJ has complained about needed to be made and he can't be making those recruiting and facility changes AND be worried about coach shopping in the next two years. The extension gives the impression of stability and allows for improvements so that in two years (once we lose the BB contracts), if he needs to go get a coach our job is much more attractive. It also makes it easier to rid your self of CPJ if he doesn't meet TS' standard of playing for championships. And if we haven't played for an ACC championship in the next two years, I think CPJ is gone.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I like your positive attitude, and I think the extension gives TS what he needs and that is time. He knows the changes that CPJ has complained about needed to be made and he can't be making those recruiting and facility changes AND be worried about coach shopping in the next two years. The extension gives the impression of stability and allows for improvements so that in two years (once we lose the BB contracts), if he needs to go get a coach our job is much more attractive. It also makes it easier to rid your self of CPJ if he doesn't meet TS' standard of playing for championships. And if we haven't played for an ACC championship in the next two years, I think CPJ is gone.

Agree with the sentiment that this is the school giving us what CPJ has asked for. Also agree that it will be important to show some results, and quickly, off of the additional funding / improvements. Getting a new apparel deal, adding staff, improving facilities and securing an aggressive DC are big steps in the right direction. I think 2-3 years may be the window though as opposed to 1-2. The adidas deal doesn’t kick in till July (so will have limited effect this recruiting season) and we will likely face growing pains next year with the new defensive philosophy. I think a lot of our guys will slot in well with what Coach Woody does, but it takes time to learn the new schemes.

Certainly I agree that if we are in year 3 without legitimate results, it will get uncomfortable quickly for Coach.