Paul Johnson's job

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
GT has to do a better job of committing to the sports programs first. They can do so without having to sully the brand. (Degree/integrity)

It'll take a commitment from the top down however something that CPJ doesn't really have per see. I don't believe in doing the tit for tat arms race that BAMA & Clemson is doing that's absurb but think out the box and be innovative.

With that I do think that commitment is coming, I just don't think CPJ will be the benefactor of it.
I worry that the administration at GT will let the GT athletics programs fall to the level that they are at Vanderbilt. I get the feeling they don't care at all about athletics.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Vanderbilt has a good basketball team and I believe they won the College WS recently.
I worry that the football program could drop to the level it has at Vanderbilt. The baseball is great and basketball programs is good at Vanderbilt.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Put this on repeat.

They need to have free tickets for the stadium and get it filled. Offer tickets to youth leagues and community services.
Get special pricing for side walk fans like me.
Incorporate STEM into recruiting and into the athletic budget. Get aggressive on social media
Build alliances with the Korean, Indian, & Black communities.
MAKE all athletic functions State of the Art and more.
Get rid of Russell go with Under Armor or Jordan
Get off 680 go to 92.9 and Z103

CPJ Has to make the O sexier
More gun
More passing
& got dammit get a Defense

TL; DR we have the same admissions standards for athletes as uga

http://investigations.myajc.com/football-admissions/

Y'all are seriously over estimating georgia tech's academic hurdles. Long story short, they don't exist. WE have the SAME barriers as uga. We both have to follow the same rules for the USOG. Our football teams SAT scores are only 20 points higher then UGA, and ~100 points higher than southern and state. The only difference is how many waivers we get for letting in academically inelgible people. Tech lets in around 5 a year, uga lets in 10. We could do more, but we don't.
The difference is that Tech has a CURRICULUM unlike that at any other P5 school, and it is that curriculum that hurts our recruiting, regardless of the "academic standards."

I think JJ got sick of Hawaii's non existant recruiting budget. He got very tired of only being able to recruit in Hawaii because of lack of funds.
Paul isn't going there then. He would ***** and complain about no commitment and how he has a disadvantage against the rest of the world. He needs to go some where like the Garden of Eden.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul isn't going there then. He would ***** and complain about no commitment and how he has a disadvantage against the rest of the world. He needs to go some where like the Garden of Eden.
So in your opinion, techs commitment to football is on par with the big time programs? Just curious if you think paul is underachieving

So in your opinion, techs commitment to football is on par with the big time programs? Just curious if you think paul is underachieving
Paul Johnson is the only Tech coach that I know of which will include (Pepper, Bill, Ross, O'Leary, lewis, Chan, Paul) that has publically called his boss. He had incredible advantage when he first came to Tech. Chan had brought in a really good class. Funny huh? Chan's recruiting helped Paul. If he didn't have JD, Josh, BeBe, I dare say his record is not even close to Chan's. He clearly has had a hard time building good OL play, WR play, QB play, Defense has had it's worse years since the 80's under Paul. So, yes he has. Oh yeah before you mention fing 2014, I'll say save it. If you want to go to the first O Bowl, well that was gift from the recruiting Paul had nothing to do with. I'll ask this question: What has Paul Johnson built at Tech?

I think he's done a decent job with what he's had to work with. GTAA is not exactly raining down resources on him.

I think Tech would be in a much better place with another $25MM in revenue and that is the AD's problem.
The coaches that came ahead him were facing the same challenges and didn't complain. Maybe there other things happening behind the scenes we don't know about causing Paul to have soo many problems, but I'd be willing to bet he is some how responsible for the internal riffs. Paul is a my way or the highway type of guy and those kind of people don't stay any where long. They wear out their welcome. He wants more support and $$$, then he needs to learn to play the game. Which he hasn't seemed to learn how to play. He will not intimidate or bully or chastise the new AD into getting what he wants. Is Tech perfect, no, does it need to improve in certain areas to make itself more competitive, yes. Calling out ur boss and constantly complaining about what you don't have and blaming everyone but the man in the mirror is getting old and will not solve that problem. One time I wish Paul would just say, I've tried my best and it hasn't been good enough. I've made some bad staff decisions and I own it. Who am I kidding, like that is going to happen. We will continue to hear how too many missed assignments, JT missed x amount of reads, we couldn't make the play when we needed it, only if that fumble hadn't occurred we'd be alright, only if our WR's could block better, and the list goes on and on.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
The coaches that came ahead him were facing the same challenges and didn't complain. Maybe there other things happening behind the scenes we don't know about causing Paul to have soo many problems, but I'd be willing to bet he is some how responsible for the internal riffs. Paul is a my way or the highway type of guy and those kind of people don't stay any where long. They wear out their welcome. He wants more support and $$$, then he needs to learn to play the game. Which he hasn't seemed to learn how to play. He will not intimidate or bully or chastise the new AD into getting what he wants. Is Tech perfect, no, does it need to improve in certain areas to make itself more competitive, yes. Calling out ur boss and constantly complaining about what you don't have and blaming everyone but the man in the mirror is getting old and will not solve that problem. One time I wish Paul would just say, I've tried my best and it hasn't been good enough. I've made some bad staff decisions and I own it. Who am I kidding, like that is going to happen. We will continue to hear how too many missed assignments, JT missed x amount of reads, we couldn't make the play when we needed it, only if that fumble hadn't occurred we'd be alright, only if our WR's could block better, and the list goes on and on.
This season is the first time I've started to waiver on PJ and his future at GT, but if this 20+ year sidewalk fan ever becomes as miserable as you appear to be watching GT football, I hope I'd just fine something else to bide my time with.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The coaches that came ahead him were facing the same challenges and didn't complain.

I disagree.

In the early 80's, the state of Tech football was abysmal and the facilities prehistoric. Homer Rice, as AD, went on a fundraising and investment spree that dramatically improved Tech athletics. Ross and O'Leary benefitted enormously and perhaps the reason the complained less was they had less to complain about.

The problem today is money. It is flooding into FBS like never before and uni's everywhere are upgrading their programs. Tech is making some upgrades, but overall, they are falling behind many other programs. Just keeping up is now a full time job.

Having seen what other programs have become, I can understand Paul's frustration. He needs a strong AD who can deliver that message ... hopefully Todd is the one to do so.

Obviously a whiny fanbase.
Why is it considered whiney to not like the wing t and the coach that brought it here. Outside of Tracy Ham and Josh Nesbit his greatness is not all that great. I find discussing Paul Johnson is like discussing the Trump/Hillary topic. If you're a Paul guy and someone is just speaking their mind about him on a MESSAGE BOARD of all places and the opinion isn't to their liking, lets bring out the bats and begin bashing. On the flip side if you're not a Paul guy, you have to listen to why he can't recruit at the P5 level. You have to listen to how the hill is always fing w/ the football team. You have to listen to all these unrealistic expectations being placed on the program by fans. Paul Johnson should feel extremely lucky he has his job period. If he feel the grass is greener some where else, he knows where the door is. No one made him sign that extension and no one made him make the decisions he has for program. Tech football wasn't as bad as most on here make it out under Chan. Outside of the ugag drubbings, he was competitive w/ everyone on our schedule. Last time I checked not agreeing w/ someone or something didn't make you whiney or bi***y or anything else. I will agree Tech fans do have a complex and it has gotten worse in the last 8 years. It's ok to admit the Johnson experiment has run it's course. Again Paul is LUCKY to have this job.

I disagree.

In the early 80's, the state of Tech football was abysmal and the facilities prehistoric. Homer Rice, as AD, went on a fundraising and investment spree that dramatically improved Tech athletics. Ross and O'Leary benefitted enormously and perhaps the reason the complained less was they had less to complain about.

The problem today is money. It is flooding into FBS like never before and uni's everywhere are upgrading their programs. Tech is making some upgrades, but overall, they are falling behind many other programs. Just keeping up is now a full time job.

Having seen what other programs have become, I can understand Paul's frustration. He needs a strong AD who can deliver that message ... hopefully Todd is the one to do so.
Tech has a state of the art work out facility, a in door practice facility, great dorms, great food. ugag just got a indoor practice facility. Yet they are ok. Maybe there is something outside of this I'm missing and if that is the case please inform me. From my point of view we aren't lacking much on the material side of things. Paul is paid handsomely for his services. He's gotten everything he's asked for, for the most part. He needed more recruiting funds and personal and he got it. He isn't having to deal the issues Bill Curry had.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Look at it from the recruits point of view. UGA has a good, but not great facility. Bama, UT and Oregon have great facilities. Tech is probably not in the Top 50.

We don't have an active booster fund to continue reinvestment.