Paul Johnson's job

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
So you're saying he did great w/ great Jimmies and Joes? I'd hope so. You could think how his offense would work a lot of schools, but every other school in Div 1 except one being Navy for obvious reasons doesn't run and will not be running it anytime soon. So, forgive me for sounding ignorant, I don't understand your point. Is it Paul wins big when he has "superior" talent? If that is it, I agree he won with "superior" talent he like 99% of all college football coaches would do. Are you saying he is not good at coaching up players that aren't "superior"? Help me understand please.

I will break it down for you then. He won at historic levels at Georgia Southern with superior talent. He won at historic levels at Navy with inferior talent. He has won at above average levels at Tech with middle of the road talent (including arguably two of the four most successful seasons in the last 30 years).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting.

In the 3-4 years that Bobinski was AD, he was in Paul's office fewer than 5 times ("You could count them on one hand.")

That, in my opinion, says it all.
The prez hired a guy that never saw a football.
Must have liked his 3 page outline for developing a strategic plan.

I am hopeful about todd. His first time as ad on grant field he saw the Clemson game. Near halftime they had more points than we had yds. I bet he has some sleepless nights and will come in focused on a core issue.
Imo Coach needs more support and a few more difference makers. We could be very good

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I worry that the football program could drop to the level it has at Vanderbilt.

This would be a disaster for Tech. Tech is a public university w/25,000 total students and has an endowment of $1.9B. Vanderbilt is a private university w/12,000 students and and endowment of $4.5B.

Simply put, it is in Tech's financial interests to maintain a strong athletics program, especially football. Football for most schools pays for all of the other sports. If memory serves, Tech made a few bucks last year on its sports, but what bothers me was all of the money spent on facilities for the other sports. While they needed some help, football is the key driver ...

I will break it down for you then. He won at historic levels at Georgia Southern with superior talent. He won at historic levels at Navy with inferior talent. He has won at above average levels at Tech with middle of the road talent (including arguably two of the four most successful seasons in the last 30 years).
His record at tech is no better than his predecessor. You keep typing, but you are making a point that no one can disagree with. Paul wins when had better talent than his competition. What a shocker? You are saying 30 years? First nothing Paul has done can even sniff 90. I'd take Lil Joe's last two years over as anything Paul has done. I'd take Shawn Jones last two years before Paul' s best year. Keep trying?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here's the summary. CPJ is no better or worse than most Tech coaches, especially in the modern era. With some support from the GTAA, he might could surpass O'Leary but time is running out. More importantly is probably the trend ... are other teams getting better?

(Numbers are W L T Per.)
John Heisman 102 29 7 73.9%
William Alexander 134 95 15 54.9%
Bobby Dodd 165 64 8 69.6%
Bud Carson 27 27 0 50.0%
Bill Fulcher 12 10 1 52.2%
Pepper Rodgers 34 31 2 50.7%
Bill Curry 31 43 4 39.7%
Bobby Ross 31 26 1 53.4%
Bill Lewis 45 52 2 45.5%
George O'Leary 52 33 0 61.2%
Chan Gailey 44 32 0 57.9%
Paul Johnson 65 47 0 58.0%

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
His record at tech is no better than his predecessor. You keep typing, but you are making a point that no one can disagree with. Paul wins when had better talent than his competition. What a shocker? You are saying 30 years? First nothing Paul has done can even sniff 90. I'd take Lil Joe's last two years over as anything Paul has done. I'd take Shawn Jones last two years before Paul' s best year. Keep trying?

I give up. If you believe he only won at historic levels at Navy because he had superior talent, have at it. Also, if you would take Shawn Jones's last year of 8-5 in 1991 or Hamilton's last year of 8-4 in 1999 over 11-3 with an Orange Bowl victory in 2014 or 11-3 with an ACC championship in 2009, have at it. I have to assume you are trolling. Easy enough to put people who hold opinions like that on ignore. Thanks for stopping by.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
But when u r the coach u r not screwed. Easy is easy hoss. We have bad coaches. Our talent gap is not comparable to u vs gracie. Lets be real.
I'm way behind reading this thread, I hope this hasn't been said yet....

CPJ talked about hiring assistants in his interview on podcast. He said he was all set to hire Ellis Johnson way back in '08, but didn't have the money. He said "when other coaches are told to go get who you need, I'm told you got 25ok to hire a DC...."

That says it all right there.

He did say it's changed somewhat since then, but the separation in financial commitment between us and most of the rest is very real, but I don't need to tell you that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's the summary. CPJ is no better or worse than most Tech coaches, especially in the modern era. With some support from the GTAA, he might could surpass O'Leary but time is running out. More importantly is probably the trend ... are other teams getting better?

(Numbers are W L T Per.)
Bud Carson 27 27 0 50.0%
Bill Curry 31 43 4 39.7%
Bobby Ross 31 26 1 53.4%
Bill Lewis 45 52 2 45.5%
He's better than the whole lot save 3 and within 3 percentage point of one the 3. Only 2 in our history have been markedly better and both were back in the leather helmet days.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

(Numbers are W L T Per.)
Bud Carson 27 27 0 50.0%
Bill Curry 31 43 4 39.7%
Bobby Ross 31 26 1 53.4%
Bill Lewis 45 52 2 45.5%

I'd be interested to see how good the ACC was during Gailey's years. Very different times. A lot of teams have made huge coaching upgrades and the ACC was seen as a piss poor conference compared to the SEC. Not today.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'd be interested to see how good the ACC was during Gailey's years. Very different times. A lot of teams have made huge coaching upgrades and the ACC was seen as a piss poor conference compared to the SEC. Not today.

May be true. Probably is.

Here's the thing. Out of all of college football, there are 128 schools in FBS, 125 in FCS ... and of the FBS, there are 65 teams in the Power 5 ... of which Tech is one. So Tech is in the Top 25% of all college football programs and will probably stay there is we are even marginally competitive, which we are.

I think we can do better, so don't take it this the wrong way. But, I think it's pretty cool that with all of the headwinds Tech faces, we're still a Power 5 team. That's remarkable.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

(Numbers are W L T Per.)
Bud Carson 27 27 0 50.0%
Bill Curry 31 43 4 39.7%
Bobby Ross 31 26 1 53.4%
Bill Lewis 45 52 2 45.5%

I would say that, in addition to the average, the highs and lows also matter. For example, while Gailey had about the same winning percentage as Johnson, I would argue Johnson has definitively had more great seasons. Personally, I would take an 11 win season ever four years with a 3 win season every four years over 7-8 every single year. That may just be me though.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Here's the thing. Out of all of college football, there are 128 schools in FBS, 125 in FCS ... and of the FBS, there are 65 teams in the Power 5 ... of which Tech is one. So Tech is in the Top 25% of all college football programs and will probably stay there is we are even marginally competitive, which we are.

I think we can do better, so don't take it this the wrong way. But, I think it's pretty cool that with all of the headwinds Tech faces, we're still a Power 5 team. That's remarkable.
in other fun tidbits. Georgia Tech is the only college with "Tech" in it's name to have a national championship in this level of football.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It sure as hell is.

Here's another factoid I like to point out:

Of the 10 truly STEM colleges in the US (one that graduates 75+% STEM degrees annually), only 1 plays division 1 football.

Guess who that is?

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

Agreed. Tech faces a ton of uphill challenges. Now what we will never know is if someone who runs a different style of offense would have been better than CPJ. He runs a clean program and graduates the kids. What we need to do is just play better. I would say more consistency on the bottom level. If a bad season was 7 wins instead of 3-6 wins I think a majority of the fan base would be happy.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Put this on repeat.

They need to have free tickets for the stadium and get it filled. Offer tickets to youth leagues and community services.
Get special pricing for side walk fans like me.
Incorporate STEM into recruiting and into the athletic budget. Get aggressive on social media
Build alliances with the Korean, Indian, & Black communities.
MAKE all athletic functions State of the Art and more.
Get rid of Russell go with Under Armor or Jordan
Get off 680 go to 92.9 and Z103

CPJ Has to make the O sexier
More gun
More passing
& got dammit get a Defense
You want to be the AD?...if not talk to the most recent hire!...creative thinking has been missing...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What we need to do is just play better.
This probably deserves it's own thread, but my favorite Tech game of all time is when we tied Notre Dame, then ranked Nr. 1, 3-3 in 1981. At that time, we had our worst season since 1934. From the New York Times:

"Curry, who played center for Georgia Tech, the Green Bay Packers and the Baltimore Colts said, ''Ours was the best defensive coaching effort I've seen in the 20-odd years I've made football my life on all levels of the game.''

It was a strong performance by Tech's defense that turned this game into the surprise it was. Notre Dame, favored by as many as four or five touchdowns, never got closer to the goal line than the Georgia Tech 9. At that point, Tech's defense held and forced Oliver to try a field goal that failed because he kicked the ball into the cross bar and it bounced back."

An unbelievable game. I've run into older alums like myself who remember that game. Or at least, we remember it the way we do.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm way behind reading this thread, I hope this hasn't been said yet....

CPJ talked about hiring assistants in his interview on podcast. He said he was all set to hire Ellis Johnson way back in '08, but didn't have the money. He said "when other coaches are told to go get who you need, I'm told you got 25ok to hire a DC...."

That says it all right there.

He did say it's changed somewhat since then, but the separation in financial commitment between us and most of the rest is very real, but I don't need to tell you that.

listen, I have been yelling at the lack of GTAA support for years. But lets be real today

Roof makes 750k. That is top 26 in all of ncaa football for assistants. He is top 15 for all of DC.

Pelton and McCollum are paid very competitively for positions coaches.

So for the defense staff only. Not recruiting staff. not offense. But just that staff. We are top 1/3 of all of football in salaries. We can do better. We need to have better coaches IMO (BTW I like Pelton)