Paul Johnson's job

We don't have an active booster fund to continue reinvestment.
That is a problem I was not aware of. Is there a reason for not having a booster fund? Whose decision is that?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think we can get better than CPJ? He historically has been one of the best here at GT. Maybe it's not the coach but the school instead?
People are probably tired of my repeating this, but we have one experiment of how an average to mediocre coach can do at a top notch program. Compare Bill Curry's record at Tech vs. his record at Alabama. I think that might be fairly informative even if it is a one time experiment.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
This season is the first time I've started to waiver on PJ and his future at GT, but if this 20+ year sidewalk fan ever becomes as miserable as you appear to be watching GT football, I hope I'd just fine something else to bide my time with.

I soured on him after the Duke and UNC losses in 2014, and the wins prior to those games seemed improbably lucky. Then we went on a tear and it made me look like a jackalope.

Looking at our D on paper this preseason I knew it was going to be frustrating to watch. It has been. With the O starting to click a little maybe Roof can risk being more aggressive as per 2014. I thought we blitzed a lot more and our safeties were more aggresive vs GSU.

On O we are better but need more consistency still. Dive in particular we are still figuring out. Mills is learning quickly though.

Will be interesting to see if we can improve on the bye and come out firing on all cylinders. STs have been pretty good (imo part of that is because the last two recruiting classes are for real). JT is throwing well and has 4 bonified weapons in Jeune, Lynch, Stewart, & Searcy.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most of the "I don't like CPJ" is an offense preference issue that is emotion... Other than the recruiting aspect (although history proves that recruiting has not changed). Most people are not interested in hearing over and over an emotional want. This is called whining.

People love to discuss well thought out topics with good facts.

I am not objective because I feel I know the facts. The history of GT, the new academic APR, the recent revaluation on lack of support to the program (more than even previously thought), and the known lack of majors, no easy way to skip through the school part, and all the rest of the reasons CPJ has done well at GT despite the extra burdens. CPJ's biggest faults are not finding a defense that fits the school and he is a man of his word.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I read an interesting take on this yesterday. It seems Harvard did a study on the economic impact of sports on a university. It seems that if you want to improve the school, you can either a) reduce tuition and get more students (volume), b) hire better professors and pay them more (quality), or c) develop a winning sports program.

Sports, especially those who win, drive applications. Yes, you will get more lower quality applicants, but ... you will also get more higher quality students too. The school can then take the cream.

This is particularly effective for increasing attendance by Georgia and US citizens. (Note: I recently visiting a school at Tech and asked 4 people for directions. All Chinese. We don't speak English. Pathetic.)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson is the only Tech coach that I know of which will include (Pepper, Bill, Ross, O'Leary, lewis, Chan, Paul) that has publically called his boss.

While I understand your feelings and agree that I also have concerns about the fact that I think GT's relative position in the ACC has slide further down under CPJ, I do think your memory is failing you no this score. As an Old Fart myself, I can fully relate and don't blame you for this but:
  1. O'Leary sat in the basketball arena during Lunches with George and complained how GT wanted to be Harvard Monday thru Friday (or was it MIT he used?) and Alabama on Saturday and how unrealistic that was. And he was talking about folks inside the GT family, not fans....
  2. Ross left for the pros first chance he got....Ross was always a class act, but he knew this was no place to stick around when he saw how 1991 went after winning the championship in 1990. Attendance barely budged, for example...
  3. Heck, Bobby Dodd told Bill Curry to take the Bama job because GT couldn't compete anymore (obviously because they were not willing to make the commitments that Bama makes)
Those are 3 simple examples.....I'm sure there are more....those are just off the top of my head...Braine made the same kind of comments....I just cannot understand why folks somehow think this isn't a HUGE issue at GT. It is. And like some folks complain that we will never get top flight talent because of our offensive scheme, we will never get top flight coaching with our commitment level from the Administration. Want a top flight DC to replace Roof? Good luck finding on you want with the salary limitations and recruiting restrictions and budget impositions we place on our coordinators.

I feel your frustration....I join you in not being happy with the state of GT football, but I suggest your anger is misplaced. CPJ has accomplished a lot offensively at GT.....the offenses under Gailey were pitiful and disgusting to watch, and that was with an All World pro WR (he had some pretty good talent the he wasted here). I give CPJ credit for that. But for the rest, look to the Hill, not to the bench.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And like some folks complain that we will never get top flight talent because of our offensive scheme, we will never get top flight coaching with our commitment level from the Administration.

I have to reiterate, it's not the Administration. Tech has 400 athletes out of a population of 15,000 undergrads. Yes, it's important ... but from the Hill's perspective, it is doing ok. The team is winning, it's contributing (profitable), and it's FBS. All good.

But from what I can tell, the Hill suggests programs and it's up to the individual units (e.g., schools, departments) to make plans, organize fund-raising, etc. My own school at Tech did that and it's now the number 2 program in the country. It was the dedication of the school managers, not the Hill, that made it happen.

I think the same is true for GTAA. There is (or was) no plan for developing the GTAA. If you read the strategic plan, it calls for "plans to be made" in support of competing in the ACC. Get that ... plans for how to compete STILL have to be made. Which means no one has done it.

Now that's where the Hill can help. Hold people accountable. The last AD worth a darn at Tech was Homer Rice.

What can Todd do? Gin up fund-raising, organize a booster program to get more alumni donations in on a regular basis, and implement a plan to restore GT to competitiveness.

I think we can do it. But it takes a LOT OF PASSION to do something like this and our last AD's just haven't had it. IMHO.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have to reiterate, it's not the Administration. .

Actually, I don't think we disagree...I use the term "Administration" to mean anyone above the football coaching staff. In my mind that includes the GTAA, the various school departments, and the Hill itself. But Upstate seems to be arguing that the coaching staff is the problem, and that CPJ complains when he shouldn't, and I am providing a different point of view on that issue.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am providing a different point of view on that issue.

Fair enough.

I like the structure that MBob's strategic plan provided (Academic excellence, Competitor Excellence, Facilities, Community, etc.). One thing it shows is that it requires commitments from multiple parties to have an impact.

If you are Alabama, Auburn or Tennessee, it's easy to place blame directly on the coach. They have everything else. Tech has a lot of "infrastructure" needs that have to be addressed before I would place a lot of blame on CPJ. I think he is doing ok if you look at it at the program level.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Outside of Tracy Ham and Josh Nesbit his greatness is not all that great.

I tend to agree. At Georgia Southern, it was all about Tracy Ham. I mean, in 1997, he had three losses. Three. That is pretty bad. A 36-4 conference record with three national title game appearances in 5 years (with quarters and semis in the other two) is not all that great.

At Navy, he started 2-10. Pretty embarrassing really. They had a rich winning tradition until he got there (going 1-20 in the two seasons before he got there) and going 45-29 with five straight bowl appearances is not all that great at a power like Navy.

All about Josh Nesbitt at Tech as well. I mean, we all know that Alabama was recruiting Josh hard and he probably would have went to an Orange Bowl as the starter no matter where he went. Josh's legacy is also what led Tevin to an ACC title game and Justin to an Orange Bowl victory. Three ACC championship game appearances, two Orange Bowl appearances, and finishing 1st or 2nd in the Coastal 6 out of 8 years is also pretty mediocre for Tech.

Sarcasm off. It is fine to suggest that the program is now stagnant and that you think things are trending down. Are there other coaches that could recruit better than CPJ at Tech? Definitely. Are there other coaches that could achieve the same highs that he has had in his 8 years? Probably, but not many. Does his last 8 years mean that he is guarantee the same success in the next 8? No, which is why his job is up for discussion. But that doesn't mean that you have to ignore reality and ignore his long and consistent record of coaching success. Paul has been an enormously successful coach at every program he has been to and has unquestionably had a great career.

If anything, I would argue that Tech is holding him back more than he is holding Tech back. Looking at his time at Georgia Southern, when he had a team with superior resources and talent, he was unbelievably dominant. I would be very interested to see what he could do at a school like UGA. I actually think quite well (even though I don't think a school like UGA would take the risk on a non-traditional coach like him).

While I understand your feelings and agree that I also have concerns about the fact that I think GT's relative position in the ACC has slide further down under CPJ, I do think your memory is failing you no this score. As an Old Fart myself, I can fully relate and don't blame you for this but:
  1. O'Leary sat in the basketball arena during Lunches with George and complained how GT wanted to be Harvard Monday thru Friday (or was it MIT he used?) and Alabama on Saturday and how unrealistic that was. And he was talking about folks inside the GT family, not fans....
  2. Ross left for the pros first chance he got....Ross was always a class act, but he knew this was no place to stick around when he saw how 1991 went after winning the championship in 1990. Attendance barely budged, for example...
  3. Heck, Bobby Dodd told Bill Curry to take the Bama job because GT couldn't compete anymore (obviously because they were not willing to make the commitments that Bama makes)
Those are 3 simple examples.....I'm sure there are more....those are just off the top of my head...Braine made the same kind of comments....I just cannot understand why folks somehow think this isn't a HUGE issue at GT. It is. And like some folks complain that we will never get top flight talent because of our offensive scheme, we will never get top flight coaching with our commitment level from the Administration. Want a top flight DC to replace Roof? Good luck finding on you want with the salary limitations and recruiting restrictions and budget impositions we place on our coordinators.

I feel your frustration....I join you in not being happy with the state of GT football, but I suggest your anger is misplaced. CPJ has accomplished a lot offensively at GT.....the offenses under Gailey were pitiful and disgusting to watch, and that was with an All World pro WR (he had some pretty good talent the he wasted here). I give CPJ credit for that. But for the rest, look to the Hill, not to the bench.
I tend to agree. At Georgia Southern, it was all about Tracy Ham. I mean, in 1997, he had three losses. Three. That is pretty bad. A 36-4 conference record with three national title game appearances in 5 years (with quarters and semis in the other two) is not all that great.

At Navy, he started 2-10. Pretty embarrassing really. They had a rich winning tradition until he got there (going 1-20 in the two seasons before he got there) and going 45-29 with five straight bowl appearances is not all that great at a power like Navy.

All about Josh Nesbitt at Tech as well. I mean, we all know that Alabama was recruiting Josh hard and he probably would have went to an Orange Bowl as the starter no matter where he went. Josh's legacy is also what led Tevin to an ACC title game and Justin to an Orange Bowl victory. Three ACC championship game appearances, two Orange Bowl appearances, and finishing 1st or 2nd in the Coastal 6 out of 8 years is also pretty mediocre for Tech.

Sarcasm off. It is fine to suggest that the program is now stagnant and that you think things are trending down. Are there other coaches that could recruit better than CPJ at Tech? Definitely. Are there other coaches that could achieve the same highs that he has had in his 8 years? Probably, but not many. Does his last 8 years mean that he is guarantee the same success in the next 8? No, which is why his job is up for discussion. But that doesn't mean that you have to ignore reality and ignore his long and consistent record of coaching success. Paul has been an enormously successful coach at every program he has been to and has unquestionably had a great career.

If anything, I would argue that Tech is holding him back more than he is holding Tech back. Looking at his time at Georgia Southern, when he had a team with superior resources and talent, he was unbelievably dominant. I would be very interested to see what he could do at a school like UGA. I actually think quite well (even though I don't think a school like UGA would take the risk on a non-traditional coach like him).
So you're saying he did great w/ great Jimmies and Joes? I'd hope so. You could think how his offense would work a lot of schools, but every other school in Div 1 except one being Navy for obvious reasons doesn't run and will not be running it anytime soon. So, forgive me for sounding ignorant, I don't understand your point. Is it Paul wins big when he has "superior" talent? If that is it, I agree he won with "superior" talent he like 99% of all college football coaches would do. Are you saying he is not good at coaching up players that aren't "superior"? Help me understand please.