Paul Johnson's job

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Barring us winning big over the next few years with CPJ here, I'm willing to bet the TOS leaves when Paul does. Its going to take that to win over the rest of the TOS doubters. In other words, if CPJ were to up and leave today I'm not so sure the correct marketing choice would be the TOS. JMO. And keep in mind that I like the TOS.
I think Bryan Cook left to his own devices modifies the under-QB spread option CPJ currently runs to emphasize some of the things that would be "sexier" to current kids. I think Cook was pivotal in convincing CPJ to try the shotgun in 2013 with VL.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Football should be fun for the kids. A trick play or getting the ball to a player that seldom sees it is fun for the guys. Especially when it works.

But what wins games is boring, but perfectly executed, plays. Percentage plays always work. Fancy stuff works occasionally.

I remember watching Bart Starr and the Packers. I think they had all of three plays. Won four Super Bowls.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Bryan Cook left to his own devices modifies the under-QB spread option CPJ currently runs to emphasize some of the things that would be "sexier" to current kids. I think Cook was pivotal in convincing CPJ to try the shotgun in 2013 with VL.

Cook knew Ted, iirc. I got the feeling that he was hired with the expectation that when Paul retired Ted would become HC and Cook OC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Cook knew Ted, iirc. I got the feeling that he was hired with the expectation that when Paul retired Ted would become HC and Cook OC.
If I remember correctly, Cook was a GA when Roof was here with O'Leary. Don't know if he was helping on offense or defense, but I remember hearing on one of the broadcasts that he was here with O'Leary and Gailey.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
God help us if Ted Roof ever becomes HC at Tech.

I remember when Roof played at Tech and as I recalled, he was a good player. So there's the "I've eaten the same dirt" argument that is admirable. I for one, in corporate life, tended to hire kids from Tech and Emory because I could relate to them.

However, I haven't seen anything from Ted as a coach that tells me he could succeed as a head coach. If that is his aspiration, he better get on the stick.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember when Roof played at Tech and as I recalled, he was a good player. So there's the "I've eaten the same dirt" argument that is admirable. I for one, in corporate life, tended to hire kids from Tech and Emory because I could relate to them.

However, I haven't seen anything from Ted as a coach that tells me he could succeed as a head coach. If that is his aspiration, he better get on the stick.
Ted Roof is my alltime favorite GT defensive player along with Pat Swilling

He failed as HC at Duke.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see CPJ identify 2 or 3 players who are good players, but might not be NFL material. And then, make then grad assistants. And maybe, groom them into coaching. At Tech.

Build a program that can last longer than you. That is the ultimate success.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we should recruit ANYONE from another school. The fact that we have no internal succession plan is a big red flag that we are not developing coaching talent.

CPJ needs to have a good solid 35 yo coach on staff and spend 5 years teaching him on how to run the TO. And that guy needs to be assured he's the next coach ... for 10, 15 years.

The constant stop/start with new coaches is a terrible drain on a program.

How do you know PJ isn't grooming Cook to take over when he retires/leaves? He's young, been on the staff a few years now, and seems to have a good rapport with the guys he's recruited.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Would LOVE to see CPJ let Cook implement some of the things he ran at Cal Poly:

They also ran it at a hurry up no huddle pace. I also agree it would get the attention of higher level skill guys.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would love to see CPJ identify 2 or 3 players who are good players, but might not be NFL material. And then, make then grad assistants. And maybe, groom them into coaching. At Tech.

I remember the story about Mac Tharpe visiting General Neyland asking for a scouting report about North Carolina who GT was going to play in a week. General Neyland couldn't be bothered with Mac Tharpe's request and told him to go talk to Tennessee halfback Bobby Dodd(there was no quarterback in the single wing offense). Tennessee had played UNC the week before and they got a tough game from the Tarholes. Mac Tharpe then told William Alexander how impressed he was with Bobby Dodd's football intelligence and he was hired as offensive coordinator after he graduated from Tennessee in spring 1931.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

Tevin Washington. Currently a GA.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I remember the story about Mac Tharpe visiting General Neyland asking for a scouting report about North Carolina who GT was going to play in a week. General Neyland couldn't be bothered with Mac Tharpe's request and told him to go talk to Tennessee halfback Bobby Dodd(there was no quarterback in the single wing offense). Tennessee had played UNC the week before and they got a tough game from the Tarholes. Mac Tharpe then told William Alexander how impressed he was with Bobby Dodd's football intelligence and he was hired as offensive coordinator after he graduated from Tennessee in spring 1931.

That is a true story. I love that story.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How do you know PJ isn't grooming Cook to take over when he retires/leaves? He's young, been on the staff a few years now, and seems to have a good rapport with the guys he's recruited.

Maybe he is.

When I was a general manager, I KNEW I could do my subordinates jobs better than they could. Why? Because I had done it. But I didn't become a truly successful manager until I told my team, "I trust you" and then stopped trying to manage them but did try to teach them. "Why are you doing this? What did you learn? What will we do in the future?'

If CPJ is developing Cook, let him call plays and learn how to do it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tech has a lot of great moments.

The one thing I really like about Tennessee football even over Alabama (Gasp! Don't tell my family), is how much they revere their football lore. Alabama goes back strong to about 1957 when the Bear returned. Tennessee goes back to Neyland, who I believe, never lost to Bear Bryant.

We are much better than we were. But wow .. where would be with thoughtful execution? That's why I remain optimistic.

And a shameless plug. If you're a Tech fan and you really want to understand Tech football, study Bob Neyland. He's the granddaddy of Tech football in more ways than one. And there's a tremendous amount of football knowledge there.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Football should be fun for the kids. A trick play or getting the ball to a player that seldom sees it is fun for the guys. Especially when it works.

But what wins games is boring, but perfectly executed, plays. Percentage plays always work. Fancy stuff works occasionally.

I remember watching Bart Starr and the Packers. I think they had all of three plays. Won four Super Bowls.
Bart Starr was a tough man taking all the verbal abuse he got from Vince Lombardy. He told Vince that he couldn't be leader of the team and have Vince cussing him out in front of the team. After that they alway had their cuss out sessions in an office away from the team.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech has a lot of great moments.

The one thing I really like about Tennessee football even over Alabama (Gasp! Don't tell my family), is how much they revere their football lore. Alabama goes back strong to about 1957 when the Bear returned. Tennessee goes back to Neyland, who I believe, never lost to Bear Bryant.

We are much better than we were. But wow .. where would be with thoughtful execution? That's why I remain optimistic.

And a shameless plug. If you're a Tech fan and you really want to understand Tech football, study Bob Neyland. He's the granddaddy of Tech football in more ways than one. And there's a tremendous amount of football knowledge there.
I remember Bobby unintentionally insulting Ole Miss Coach Johnny Vaught in an episode from the late 1940s. GT paid a lot to visiting teams in the SEC back in those days and Vaught begged Bobby to schedule them as one of GT's home games. Bobby Dodd told Johnny Vaught that GT could make more money playing Tech High in Grant Field than playing Ole Miss. Johnny Vaught used that to try to charge the Rebels up going into the 1952 Sugar Bowl but GT toyed with 8-0-2 Ole Miss winning 24-7. Johnny Vaught hated Bobby Dodd for the rest of his life for saying that but Bobby was correct.