Paul Johnson's job

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When you get old, like me, you remember things in no particular order. Here are two ...

Bobby Dodd once said, "If you will let me, I will teach you football. And if you will let me do that, in the way it should be played, we will win."

My Tech physics professor once said, "Please put your pencils down. If you will let me, I will teach you physics. And you will learn."

I used both those examples in business and told subordinates, "If you will let me, I will teach you how to run this business, and if we do, we will make millions." We did.

We need to build a teachable program. Nuf said.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When you get old, like me, you remember things in no particular order. Here are two ...

Bobby Dodd once said, "If you will let me, I will teach you football. And if you will let me do that, in the way it should be played, we will win."

My Tech physics professor once said, "Please put your pencils down. If you will let me, I will teach you physics. And you will learn."

I used both those examples in business and told subordinates, "If you will let me, I will teach you how to run this business, and if we do, we will make millions." We did.

We need to build a teachable program. Nuf said.
For as great a head coach as Bobby Dodd was he was a poor Athletic Director. He made a bad mistake firing Bud Carson after GT lost 41-18 to Ole Miss in the 1971 Peach Bowl. Bill Fulcher was a poor choice to replace Bud Carson and he couldn't handle the pressure of being head coach which Bobby Dodd mentioned in his book.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It should be a combo of the AD and the head coach. My point is that we don't have this today. But we should. We should be developing coaching talent to coach the Tech Way.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It should be a combo of the AD and the head coach. My point is that we don't have this today. But we should. We should be developing coaching talent to coach the Tech Way.
Too bad the Tech Man idea that Bobby Dodd had in the 1970s didn't work the way it could have.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
For as great a head coach as Bobby Dodd was he was a poor Athletic Director. He made a bad mistake firing Bud Carson after GT lost 41-18 to Ole Miss in the 1971 Peach Bowl. Bill Fulcher was a poor choice to replace Bud Carson and he couldn't handle the pressure of being head coach which Bobby Dodd mentioned in his book.

I think the best way to phrase this is that Bobby Dodd was unremarkable as an AD. But ... in terms of sideline coaching, I don't think there has ever been as good a game day coach as Bobby Dodd. Still.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the best way to phrase this is that Bobby Dodd was unremarkable as an AD. But ... in terms of sideline coaching, I don't think there has ever been as good a game day coach as Bobby Dodd. Still.
Bobby Dodd was a great,great head coach and he was right up there with John Heisman in my mind. I agree with you i could have phrased it better sorry,Vespidae.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Too bad the Tech Man idea that Bobby Dodd had in the 1970s didn't work the way it could have.

I remember Norm Van Brocklin being interested in the Tech job. He was of course, the soon to be fired (if not already) coach of the Falcons. He HATED the term Tech Man. He just wanted to coach football and to hell with the rest of the BS. He didn't get the job. Bill Curry did.

I DO believe that it works. Bobby Dodd took Robert Neyland's rules of football and condensed it down to Five Tenets. That is what he taught, coached, and strategized. I think those Five Tenets are as accurate today as they were then.

We just don't follow them.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember Norm Van Brocklin being interested in the Tech job. He was of course, the soon to be fired (if not already) coach of the Falcons. He HATED the term Tech Man. He just wanted to coach football and to hell with the rest of the BS. He didn't get the job. Bill Curry did.

I DO believe that it works. Bobby Dodd took Robert Neyland's rules of football and condensed it down to Five Tenets. That is what he taught, coached, and strategized. I think those Five Tenets are as accurate today as they were then.

We just don't follow them.
Norm was on Pepper Rodgers Coaching Staff in 1979 and i believe he didn't like Pepper or the things that Pepper had the team doing in 1979 like aerobics

Dodd was the worst AD in Tech history, and you are correct, he should never have fired Carson. I disagree, however, that Fulcher was a bad choice. Unfortunately, Fulcher had a screwed up wife who ruined his life for him, and it was because of her that he couldn't handle the pressures of being HC. Credentials-wise, he was one of the best choices ever; he had succeeded in every phase of the coaching game except for HC. IIRC, Tech was his first HC job, and sad to say, but not because of his abilities, he failed.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think Bryan Cook is the heir-apparant to the OC job after CPJ, assuming we keep the same offense.
Barring us winning big over the next few years with CPJ here, I'm willing to bet the TOS leaves when Paul does. Its going to take that to win over the rest of the TOS doubters. In other words, if CPJ were to up and leave today I'm not so sure the correct marketing choice would be the TOS. JMO. And keep in mind that I like the TOS.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Football coaches often make poor AD's. Especially today. It's like sales and sales management. Engineering and engineering management. Just because you can coach athletics doesn't make you a good director of athletics.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Football coaches often make poor AD's. Especially today. It's like sales and sales management. Engineering and engineering management. Just because you can coach athletics doesn't make you a good director of athletics.
That's true Vince Dooley is a great example of that

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
OMG. My dad was the team doctor for Vince in high school. Always like Vince and his brother Bill. Both of them together couldn't add to ten.
I guess that's why he was head coach of the Auburn freshman football team for 10 years before being UGAG head coach;)