Paul Johnson's job

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Its been 2 years.. how long does it last?

AU fired a coach that won a NC 3 years later. not comparing AU to GT, just saying it's a " what have you done for me lately" industry.

That does NOT make it right or something we should emulate.

Can we wait a bit longer and see how this season plays out? An uncompetitive loss to Pitt might start some fires burning, but if we manage to win, and then beat Georgia Southern at home, we'll be 5-2 (2-2) and will at least have some life going into the away game gauntlet of VT & UNC.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If GT has one day soon has to go the College Football Head Coach up and comers route Scott Satterfield of Appalachian State would be a very good pick. He's done a very good job at Appalachian State bringing it up to FBS level and the Sunbelt Conference.
The guy at Coastal Carolina is interesting

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we should recruit ANYONE from another school. The fact that we have no internal succession plan is a big red flag that we are not developing coaching talent.

CPJ needs to have a good solid 35 yo coach on staff and spend 5 years teaching him on how to run the TO. And that guy needs to be assured he's the next coach ... for 10, 15 years.

The constant stop/start with new coaches is a terrible drain on a program.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Did he say that our players are not as talented, or that we can't expect to get players as talented as those that Clemson and other schools get? I sue didn't hear him say a thing related to the talent of the players that we get, only about the talent relative to that at other schools. And EVERYBODY knows that is true, for quite a few reasons.
He said are we as talented as Clemson ... No. I am Not saying that is not a true statement obviously it is but don't say that in public.
If you really want to know what Johnson said, and not just what others have said that he said, go to the following link and either read the excerpts or listen to the actual interview in the podcast, beginning at the 23:50 mark ---
https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-q-a-georgia-tech-coach-paul-johnson

There is nothing wrong or controversial or inappropriate in the least about what he said.
He said exactly what I said that he said .... Word for word.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
That does NOT make it right or something we should emulate.

Can we wait a bit longer and see how this season plays out? An uncompetitive loss to Pitt might start some fires burning, but if we manage to win, and then beat Georgia Southern at home, we'll be 5-2 (2-2) and will at least have some life going into the away game gauntlet of VT & UNC.

I am not saying its the right thing to do.
Contrary to what some believe, this is a short term memory industry.
If you aren't winning, you're gone. It's that simple and that's what my example was pointing out.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think we should recruit ANYONE from another school. The fact that we have no internal succession plan is a big red flag that we are not developing coaching talent.

CPJ needs to have a good solid 35 yo coach on staff and spend 5 years teaching him on how to run the TO. And that guy needs to be assured he's the next coach ... for 10, 15 years.

The constant stop/start with new coaches is a terrible drain on a program.
I don't think GT has developed decent internal head coaching talent since Bud Carson succeeded Bobby Dodd in January 1967

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Exactly!

If you don't develop a program (call it the Tech Way) of playing football, it becomes costly and disruptive to always rely on a new coach to do so. In business, one of the things you look at is how many of our executives were developed internally vs. going on to run other businesses. Importing talent once in a while is one thing ... but every 7 years or so is long-term, counterproductive to stability.

He said are we as talented as Clemson ... No. I am Not saying that is not a true statement obviously it is but don't say that in public.
He said exactly what I said that he said .... Word for word.
I don't remember what you said, other than that he should not have said it in public. Was anything in that podcast something you think he should not have said in public?

I don't think GT has developed decent internal head coaching talent since Bud Carson succeeded Bobby Dodd in January 1967
And hiring Carson was a big mistake, although IMO not as bad as firing him when they did. Dodd didn't want Carson to succeed him, but somebody at Tech, or in the alumni base, did want him. But just when Carson had finally begun to turn things around, they fired him. Neither decision made any sense.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly!

If you don't develop a program (call it the Tech Way) of playing football, it becomes costly and disruptive to always rely on a new coach to do so. In business, one of the things you look at is how many of our executives were developed internally vs. going on to run other businesses. Importing talent once in a while is one thing ... but every 7 years or so is long-term, counterproductive to stability.
The worst mistake GT ever made in my opinion was not naming Steve Spurrier as head coach in 1980 when he really wanted the job.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And hiring Carson was a big mistake, although IMO not as bad as firing him when they did. Dodd didn't want Carson to succeed him, but somebody at Tech, or in the alumni base, did want him. But just when Carson had finally begun to turn things around, they fired him. Neither decision made any sense.
GT should have named Steve Spurrier(who was a Pepper Rodgers assistant 1978-1979)as head coach in 1980 instead of Bill Curry.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Dodd had plenty of guys who did do well, notably Ray Graves (Florida) and Frank Broyles (Arkansas) come to mind.

Regardless, the rule of thumb is to build a system, a way of thinking ... and manage to the system. Hero Managers (and hero coaches) don't work unless the system is hopelessly broken. Al Dunlap (Chainsaw Al) is a good example. Yes, he delivered. And what a jerk.

Better to build a program and develop players and coaches to work within the system in a coordinated way. It must makes everything so much easier and more productive.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
GT should have named Steve Spurrier(who was a Pepper Rodgers assistant 1978-1979)as head coach in 1980 instead of Bill Curry.

Wow. I lived through the Bill Curry years as a student. The girls swooned in front of Bill. He was magnetic. Beating Bama 21-20 (I was there in Birmingham) was unbelievable given how crappy were had been. But ... Curry will admit, or did admit, that Bobby Dodd tutored him on coaching.

Curry would still be there today if his head had not gotten so big and re ran off to Alabama which rejected him like a virus.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't remember what you said, other than that he should not have said it in public. Was anything in that podcast something you think he should not have said in public?
Have not had a chance to listen to the podcast yet. I will try and find the interview where he said we are not as talented as Clemson and post the link.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dodd had plenty of guys who did do well, notably Ray Graves (Florida) and Frank Broyles (Arkansas) come to mind.

Regardless, the rule of thumb is to build a system, a way of thinking ... and manage to the system. Hero Managers (and hero coaches) don't work unless the system is hopelessly broken. Al Dunlap (Chainsaw Al) is a good example. Yes, he delivered. And what a jerk.

Better to build a program and develop players and coaches to work within the system in a coordinated way. It must makes everything so much easier and more productive.
Another one was Bob Woodruff who was head coach of Baylor 1948-1949 and Florida 1950-1959. He was also Tennessee AD from 1964-1985.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. I lived through the Bill Curry years as a student. The girls swooned in front of Bill. He was magnetic. Beating Bama 21-20 (I was there in Birmingham) was unbelievable given how crappy were had been. But ... Curry will admit, or did admit, that Bobby Dodd tutored him on coaching.

Curry would still be there today if his head had not gotten so big and re ran off to Alabama which rejected him like a virus.
Yeah the Bammers hated GT from way back ;)