Paul Johnson's job

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think Bryan Cook left to his own devices modifies the under-QB spread option CPJ currently runs to emphasize some of the things that would be "sexier" to current kids. I think Cook was pivotal in convincing CPJ to try the shotgun in 2013 with VL.
I agree.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I watched a program on Tennessee's new football facilities. Magnificent. But they talked about how the locker rooms were ventilated from within each locker so the room didn't smell and how each locker had ports for iPhones and other PEDs. Hard to see how these lead to winning championships, but the donors paid for it.

They did have a kickass strength and conditioning facility though.

Before i retired I was job recruiting at several SEC and one ACC schools. Tennessee is in a league of their own when it comes to facilities and staff. I was amazed at the financial advantage Tennessee has over their competition.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Its football season. Tomorrow we play Pitt. We should as fans be committed to supporting our team and coach (he is not going anywhere soon). Our focus now should be on Pitt, our players, recruiting, and football x's and o's. I might tolerate all this speculation in the off season, but right now "lets play some football", and expect to win.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am a native Tennessean and lived there until I came to GT my freshman year. I didn't even apply there. UT is a football school and the entire state supports them as if they are their pro team. Their fan base supports athletics rather than academics. They really don't care that much about where their academic standing is but they sure care about the football team standings. Its a decent state school but athletics is what counts the most to them and feeds their ego.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a native Tennessean and lived there until I came to GT my freshman year. I didn't even apply there. UT is a football school and the entire state supports them as if they are their pro team. Their fan base supports athletics rather than academics. They really don't care that much about where their academic standing is but they sure care about the football team standings. Its a decent state school but athletics is what counts the most to them and feeds their ego.
Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech i put on the same level academically and it has caused a lot more problems for Vanderbilt in Sports than it has for Georgia Tech.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I have been behind him until now, I don't mind our offense at all, but if he doesn't make some coaching changes im ready for him to be gone. I wish we could get a hire like les miles which would boost our recruiting (not to the level of LSU of course) but we need to change the view of GT. I hope it's CPJ who can help change it but i just don't see it if some coaching changes are not made.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I love CPJ and I want nothing more than for him to succeed at Tech, but I just don't see that happening at this point. His inability to improve the play of the offensive line and create an above average defense is what got him. I don't believe that any of this has to do with us running the triple option. With the right players, I think the triple option is fine and 2009 and 2014 prove that. Problem is he hasn't been able to get the right players except for once in the last 7 years.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did you guys know Colorado's head coach played at GT in late 80's. Think he and Stansbury crossed paths..........Just saying :)

Joeb21

Jolly Good Fellow
I just realized we are 4-12 since the Norte Dame game last year. I feel like everything changed after that game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ may have lost this team and there were some indications of issues last year between him and JT. Nothing creates dissention in a locker room like losing. I remember one of our home games last year and PJ was coming off the field on 4th down. PJ went out onto the field to say something to him as he was coming off, and JT avoided him by staying out on the field as far as he could. He went as far as he get from PJ. I thought it was odd at the time for the QB to avoid the head coach but he definitely did it intentionally. Whatever PJ wanted to say, JT didn't want any part of it at that time.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ gotta go.

No fire, no excitement, no emotion , no passion. IMO.
Get fired up and get in someone's face. Stop making excuses.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you coached at Hawaii, Navy, Ga S ... then Tech is a pretty good gig.

He might be happy with that. And that's a problem.

Top 25. That's gotta be the goal.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ gotta go.

No fire, no excitement, no emotion , no passion. IMO.
Get fired up and get in someone's face. Stop making excuses.

I think he's done. Looks defeated in the post game presser. Not sure getting in someone's face fixes any of the problems. Coaches are not doing a great job during the week and players aren't making the plays on the weekend.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hard to say. I like him. But I'm not sure he has the best staff. And he owns that.

For someone who's talked a lot about bizness this week, that's pretty ignorant imo. He doesn't control the budget of the salary-paying organization.

The Groh hire and Roof hire were definitely influenced by budget. Neither were cpj first choices from what I've heard.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For someone who's talked a lot about bizness this week, that's pretty ignorant imo. He doesn't control the budget of the salary-paying organization.

The Groh hire and Roof hire were definitely influenced by budget. Neither were cpj first choices from what I've heard.

Roof makes something akin to $750K. That is very respectable for a DC. Not a budget hire by any stretch. My sense is that it isn't the DC money where we are below budget but at the regular assistant level - the ones who actually do the grunt work of recruiting.