Paul Johnson's job

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Johnny Vaught hated Bobby Dodd for the rest of his life for saying that but Bobby was correct.

Bobby Dodd reminds me a lot of Robert E. Lee. Why? Both achieved a heck of a lot with limited resources and wily thinking. And both had subordinates who absolutely adored working or serving under them.

I worked a lot with Toyota in my career. One of the things they stressed was documenting management decisions. So, when something came up ... go to the archives and check previous decisions from the '20's, '30's, '40's, whatever. But don't repeat the same issues. Learn and improve. All the time.

I look forward to teams hating to play Tech. ;)

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bobby Dodd reminds me a lot of Robert E. Lee. Why? Both achieved a heck of a lot with limited resources and wily thinking. And both had subordinates who absolutely adored working or serving under them.

I worked a lot with Toyota in my career. One of the things they stressed was documenting management decisions. So, when something came up ... go to the archives and check previous decisions from the '20's, '30's, '40's, whatever. But don't repeat the same issues. Learn and improve. All the time.

I look forward to teams hating to play Tech. ;)
That's true teams and coaches hate teams they can't beat and they love teams and coaches they can beat. Every coach in the SEC loved Derek Dooley ;) Hopefully the GT football program will be rising up very soon;)

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
God help us if Ted Roof ever becomes HC at Tech.
Another coach i like and might be worth Tech's time to interview if they're looking for another head coach is Matt Rhule the head coach of Temple. He's done a heck of a job making a poor Temple program good enough to be going to two Bowl games in a row and three this December.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Dodd was the worst AD in Tech history, and you are correct, he should never have fired Carson. I disagree, however, that Fulcher was a bad choice. Unfortunately, Fulcher had a screwed up wife who ruined his life for him, and it was because of her that he couldn't handle the pressures of being HC. Credentials-wise, he was one of the best choices ever; he had succeeded in every phase of the coaching game except for HC. IIRC, Tech was his first HC job, and sad to say, but not because of his abilities, he failed.

HC at U of Tampa.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dodd was the worst AD in Tech history, and you are correct, he should never have fired Carson. I disagree, however, that Fulcher was a bad choice. Unfortunately, Fulcher had a screwed up wife who ruined his life for him, and it was because of her that he couldn't handle the pressures of being HC. Credentials-wise, he was one of the best choices ever; he had succeeded in every phase of the coaching game except for HC. IIRC, Tech was his first HC job, and sad to say, but not because of his abilities, he failed.
Thanks for the info,Super, I had never heard about the problems with his wife.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I remember Bobby unintentionally insulting Ole Miss Coach Johnny Vaught in an episode from the late 1940s. GT paid a lot to visiting teams in the SEC back in those days and Vaught begged Bobby to schedule them as one of GT's home games. Bobby Dodd told Johnny Vaught that GT could make more money playing Tech High in Grant Field than playing Ole Miss. Johnny Vaught used that to try to charge the Rebels up going into the 1952 Sugar Bowl but GT toyed with 8-0-2 Ole Miss winning 24-7. Johnny Vaught hated Bobby Dodd for the rest of his life for saying that but Bobby was correct.

Also because Dodd would not play in Miss. During the 1971 Peach Bowl festivities, attended by Vaught & Dodd, the topic came up and Dodd said the reason he would not play there is because they "would have beat the hell out of me."

Also came back to bit us in the butt when Dodd tried to get us back in SEC.

Thanks for the info,Super, I had never heard about the problems with his wife.
He's from Augusta, which is where I grew up and still live. Not only did he have problems with his first wife, his second wife, with whom I went to school for 12 years, was no better. He just had a string of back luck in the wives department. His second wife still hyphenates "Fulcher" onto the name of her current husband. SHEESH He has been married to his current (3rd) wife for 20+ years, so he apparently finally found a winner. There were many of us in Augusta who were thrilled when he was named HC at Tech and thought he would win and be there forever. Sad to say, that didn't happen

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He's from Augusta, which is where I grew up and still live. Not only did he have problems with his first wife, his second wife, with whom I went to school for 12 years, was no better. He just had a string of back luck in the wives department. His second wife still hyphenates "Fulcher" onto the name of her current husband. SHEESH He has been married to his current (3rd) wife for 20+ years, so he apparently finally found a winner. There were many of us in Augusta who were thrilled when he was named HC at Tech and thought he would win and be there forever. Sad to say, that didn't happen
The Tech football program probably would have been in much better shape with Bill as head coach throughout the mid-late 1970s than the way Pepper had it.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Have not had a chance to listen to the podcast yet. I will try and find the interview where he said we are not as talented as Clemson and post the link.
He said we are not as talented as Clemson around the 37:30 mark on his radio show Monday.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, we're not, nor have we been for some time, and yet he is 5-5 against Clemson, so talent apparently isn't everything.
I never said we were as talented as Clemson or that talent is everything. Everything CPJ has said lately about commitment, staff, and talent is true. I just think it should of been said behind closed doors with the new AD. It will be used against us in recruiting and we sure don't need anymore hurdles to overcome in that area.

I never said we were as talented as Clemson or that talent is everything. Everything CPJ has said lately about commitment, staff, and talent is true. I just think it should of been said behind closed doors with the new AD. It will be used against us in recruiting and we sure don't need anymore hurdles to overcome in that area.
But we don't know that he hasn't already said this to TStan while he was in Atlanta.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, we're not, nor have we been for some time, and yet he is 5-5 against Clemson, so talent apparently isn't everything.
Side note
At half time I looked up at the west score board to see score and yardage. I really had to do a double take. Clemson had more points than we had yards. That's embarrassing.

The current clemson dc is doing a much better than the previous dc (kevin steele) . The Clemson defense is much more aggressive .
I think the talent at Clemson is about the same =excellent. They just have better coaches.

We need more buzz.