Paul Johnson's job

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I am a big fan of CPJ but he has said some things recently that you just don't say in public. The one comment that bothers me the most is him saying our players are not as talented as Clemson's players. We all know this is true even our players know this. I bet they still don't like there head coach saying that to the media. How would CPJ like it if the players started saying CPJ and his coaching staff are not as talented as Dabo and his coaching staff.
Football players like direct talk. They like to be coached hard. They know that Paul is trying to help each player be better and in the end the team better. Paul is a good football coach attempting to do what he can for his coaches and his players.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Football players like direct talk. They like to be coached hard. They know that Paul is trying to help each player be better and in the end the team better. Paul is a good football coach attempting to do what he can for his coaches and his players.
I agree with this when you are coaching them hard and speaking directly to them. There was no need to say it to the media.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
He's been saying the same things for several years. It's really nothing new.
Maybe he has but it's the first time I have heard him come straight out and say his players are not as talented as Clemson. Even if he has said it before it is still not a good idea IMO. His recent comments are already negatively affecting recruiting .Pat Swilling basically said If the coach and program at GT are not committed to football maybe the recruits should think about there commitment to GT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Some observations of fan observations:
- "He's been here 9 years" and "Don't talk about just the season before last"
- "He's stubborn and won't change" but we had a fairly significant change to incorporate shotgun and diamond just 3-4 years ago
- "We want to win every game" and "we should do the stuff from 2012 and 2013 that was less effective

If thinking it's nuts to talk about firing a guy who had us taking a playoff team to the wire in the ACC championship game and winning the Orange Bowl just the season before last makes me an elitist, I guess I'm an elitist.

The two teams that beat us are both currently top 10, and one of them is, in some ways, a better version of the team that almost won it all last year.

Maybe he has but it's the first time I have heard him come straight out and say his players are not as talented as Clemson. Even if he has said it before it is still not a good idea IMO. His recent comments are already negatively affecting recruiting .Pat Swilling basically said If the coach and program at GT are not committed to football maybe the recruits should think about there commitment to GT.
Did he say that our players are not as talented, or that we can't expect to get players as talented as those that Clemson and other schools get? I sue didn't hear him say a thing related to the talent of the players that we get, only about the talent relative to that at other schools. And EVERYBODY knows that is true, for quite a few reasons.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
- "He's stubborn and won't change" but we had a fairly significant change to incorporate shotgun and diamond just 3-4 years ago
- "We want to win every game" and "we should do the stuff from 2012 and 2013 that was less effective

If thinking it's nuts to talk about firing a guy who had us taking a playoff team to the wire in the ACC championship game and winning the Orange Bowl just the season before last makes me an elitist, I guess I'm an elitist.

The two teams that beat us are both currently top 10, and one of them is, in some ways, a better version of the team that almost won it all last year.
If GT has a losing season this season,then the two losing seasons in a row GT will have had used up CPJ's brownie points from winning the Orange Bowl in my opinion. Then there will be nothing wrong with looking for a new head football coach.

Last edited:

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Yea, who wants to be 7-7, 7-6...
3-9 is much better.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Its been 2 years.. how long does it last?

AU fired a coach that won a NC 3 years later. not comparing AU to GT, just saying it's a " what have you done for me lately" industry.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Did he say that our players are not as talented, or that we can't expect to get players as talented as those that Clemson and other schools get? I sue didn't hear him say a thing related to the talent of the players that we get, only about the talent relative to that at other schools. And EVERYBODY knows that is true, for quite a few reasons.
He said are we as talented as Clemson ... No. I am Not saying that is not a true statement obviously it is but don't say that in public.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So an offense that hasn’t looked good at all for 3 years and requires 6’4 4.4 40 WR’s and an Alvin Kamara to work?
They looked good against Virginia Tech,Florida and Georgia in winning those three games. I'm surprised that CPJ didn't recruit Josh Dobbs more heavily than he did with him being from Alpharetta. He could have easily gotten into GT with him about to get an aerospace engineering degree at Tennessee. Don't forget about Jalen Hurd;)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
They looked good against Virginia Tech,Florida and Georgia in winning those three games. I'm surprised that CPJ didn't recruit Josh Dobbs more heavily than he did with him being from Alpharetta. He could have easily gotten into GT with him about to get an aerospace engineering degree at Tennessee. Don't forget about Jalen Hurd;)
Prior to this year it hasn’t looked good at all despite having a stellar defense. Even this year it hasn’t looked good in the first half of any game. Luckily it’s working in the 2nd a lot of that is because Dobbs is doing a good job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've followed Tennessee for a long time. They have gifted athletes who frequently also ran track and field (Olympic quality). I don't the know the current crop, but Butch can point some points on the board quick, so I'm guessing it's still part of the UT style.

Rather than pick this offense or that offense, this defense or that defense, we need a fully integrated game style. That way, each side of the ball compliments the other. Right now, it's more of a patchwork collection of styles, none of which work well together unless you happen to fall into a bunch of great athletes all at one time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Its been 2 years.. how long does it last?

AU fired a coach that won a NC 3 years later. not comparing AU to GT, just saying it's a " what have you done for me lately" industry.

LOL. There's been one season and 5 games, not 2 years.

However, your post does raise the important issue of whether win-loss record tells the whole story. You see, in my opinion, mature assessment of a coach requires more than just looking at the W-L. You have to weigh the whole strengths and weakness of the program and the likelihood of future success if other changes are or are not made.

In other words, I'm challenging your claim that it's a "what have you done for me lately" industry by saying that's not what happened at Auburn. Even though you say, "not comparing AU to GT," you do make the comparison by limiting the discussion just years from successful season to poor season.

So, let's look at your example of Auburn. According to Rivals, Auburn had top 20 recruiting classes in 08 and 09, top 10 classes in 10, 11, and 12. So, yeah the lost some players who left early after 2010, but it's not like they should have been running on empty. After their NC, they had a mediocre season, and then after losing both the OC and DC from the NC team had a 3-9 season. The locker room was a dumpster fire. In their 2012 3-9 season, they lost to Bama 49-0, to Georgie 38-0, to OleMiss 41-20, to A&M 63-21.

The next year with a new coaching staff, they were 12-2 with wins over Alabama and georgie, which supports the conclusion that talent wasn't the problem. In other words, there were a lot of other indicators that the HC was a problem besides just W-L.

GT on the other hand does not recruit any where close to the same level as Auburn. Still, they also lost a lot of key players to graduation and early departure after the 2014 OB season, but they also lost a lot of players to injury before the meat of the new season. On top of that, they had had an unusual amount of attrition from the class that would have been in their 3rd year. Even with all that, they only lost one game by more than 3 scores (to a team that almost one the NC) and only 2 by more than 2 scores. They also beat a top 20 team.

So, using Auburn's decision to fire Chizik after his 3-9 season to support the notion that these decisions should be based just on what have you done for me lately in terms of W-L seems simple minded and immature (just my opinion).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately for anyone in the SEC, Nick Saban has raised the bar for everyone. It reminds me of when Tiger Woods first showed up in golf. Not long after, golfers were working on flexibility and hitting the gym. You have to be an athlete now in golf to compete.

College ball is not just W-L. It's Facilities, Recruiting, Injury Management, Strength/Conditioning, Player Development, Academics, Reputation, etc.

So an offense that hasn’t looked good at all for 3 years and requires 6’4 4.4 40 WR’s and an Alvin Kamara to work?
If you really want to know what Johnson said, and not just what others have said that he said, go to the following link and either read the excerpts or listen to the actual interview in the podcast, beginning at the 23:50 mark ---
https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-q-a-georgia-tech-coach-paul-johnson

There is nothing wrong or controversial or inappropriate in the least about what he said.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I just can't see Stansbury taking over in late November and then firing CPJ a week or so later. Especially when it makes much more sense financially to let him go after next season if we end up having to.

Short of CPJ being caught doing something illegal (thus voiding contract), the bold should be obvious. Unless someone is going to "step up" and make a contribution so large to make the payment.