Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Actually I will miss PJ. He was a master at play calling. It was his decision to leave and did not cost GT a contract buy out. He was a man with old school ethics. I only wish him the best.

Pretty clear that there was pressure from the school for him to step down. Nobody up and retires when they finally have a full stable of QBs, the most talent on defense they’ve had in a decade, just hired a new DC, and have millions left on their deal. We might have been the Coastal favorites going into 2019.

We also spent a lot of money paying off the rest of the staff. Not sure whether we owed CPJ or not.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks say hello. So does Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.

Russell runs double option plays all the time. And no surprise; he's extremely good at it. Same story for Lamar Jackson. Paul is an obvious source for these teams and others (see Belichek, Bill).

True, they don't run the spread option. Yet.

I think the jury's still out on how good L-Jax is. He looked like dog crap vs SD in the playoffs last January. He'll need to become like Wilson, a throw-first QB, if he wants to have any sort of lengthy NFL career. Running a few plays out of a formation is nice and fun for the fans but the NFL isn't abandoning the drop-back passing offense for a run-first offense as long as the rules are so weighted to passing the football, and the QBs are still the most important position on the team. And the highest-paid one, most of the time.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t know how often they play, but Minnesota would probably love to see the Ravens run the TO.

I don't think some of the college TO fans understand how much faster and bigger every single NFL defense is than the kids playing at Jax St... or Miss St, for that matter.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
And vengeful for trying to block in certain ways.

There aren't many NFL guys who even want to cut, outside of smallish RBs facing a blitzing LB. It's known as 'dirty football' for good reason and I suspect was probably used against our OL recruiting during PJ's tenure. At the end of the day, these guys are all co-workers (with a few exceptions) and aren't interested in diving at knees unless absolutely necessary (again, see RB picking up blitz)

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Players on the offense are also faster / stronger than in college too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and not remotely interested in cut blocking nor flopping. NFL WRs will just take those plays off rather than risk injury.

Meanwhile, it's still a big yardage penalty if a CB looks at a WR the wrong way in pass coverage and 15 yards auto first down if a fan in the stands so much as glances at a QB in the pocket the wrong way. The NFL will remain a pass-first, pass-second offense for the foreseeable future, for good reason.

No NFL owner wants to see their attendance become what we had at the UVA game last fall. 3 yards and a cloud of astro turf excites no one.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
and not remotely interested in cut blocking nor flopping. NFL WRs will just take those plays off rather than risk injury.

Meanwhile, it's still a big yardage penalty if a CB looks at a WR the wrong way in pass coverage and 15 yards auto first down if a fan in the stands so much as glances at a QB in the pocket the wrong way. The NFL will remain a pass-first, pass-second offense for the foreseeable future, for good reason.

No NFL owner wants to see their attendance become what we had at the UVA game last fall. 3 yards and a cloud of astro turf excites no one.
First you do understand teams in the pro also use cut blocks not as much as we did but they still cut block. Any WR in the NFL that won't block will not be in the NFL long. And any NFL owner does not care if they win the super bowl with what you call a 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I can assure you if a NFL team makes the super bowl regardless of the type of offense they run attendance would not be a problem.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There aren't many NFL guys who even want to cut, outside of smallish RBs facing a blitzing LB. It's known as 'dirty football' for good reason and I suspect was probably used against our OL recruiting during PJ's tenure. At the end of the day, these guys are all co-workers (with a few exceptions) and aren't interested in diving at knees unless absolutely necessary (again, see RB picking up blitz)

If, as you say, it's considered to be dirty, why is it still allowed? I am asking this, because it seems counterintuitive that a tactic that is seen as universally dirty hasn't been outlawed. I know there are some who consider it to be dirty football. I'm just not so sure it is as widely considered to be so as you imply.

I would also point out that I can't think of a single instance where anyone was injured by one of our cut blocks. Maybe there was one or two, but I can't recall it.

herb

Helluva Engineer
If, as you say, it's considered to be dirty, why is it still allowed? I am asking this, because it seems counterintuitive that a tactic that is seen as universally dirty hasn't been outlawed. I know there are some who consider it to be dirty football. I'm just not so sure it is as widely considered to be so as you imply.

I would also point out that I can't think of a single instance where anyone was injured by one of our cut blocks. Maybe there was one or two, but I can't recall it.

It is not dirty. The DL may not like it, but that doesn't make it dirty.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Cut blocks are not (at least within the tackle box), and have never been illegal. Chop blocks are illegal and have been for some time. They are quite different animals, though the chop block does sometimes contain a cut block. I agree with many that we appeared to cut, sometimes unsuccessfully (and ended up diving) more than one would like (at least more than I would like). But every offense uses it, granted some much more than others
It’s amazing to me that fans of a school that for over a decade were immersed in complex OL blocking schemes and techniques that some fans still have such a low level of understanding of how, when, where and why OL block. We lived and died on our OL and it’s as alien to some as punting was to our better teams.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Apocryphal story is that CPJ offered a $1000 to any coach who could produce a player who had been knocked out of a game by a cut block.

I doubt the $1000 part but I don't doubt at all that no opposing coach could produce such a player. If they could have they would have.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
no one's running the TO in the NFL. From fears of high-paid QBs getting injured to faster Defense shutting off the corners to the study that shows that the new NFL No-Cut-Block-Rule likely does result in fewer knee injuries to defenders...owners across the NFL won't let their OCs run any more than a few plays/game. See "Wildcat formation", another formation/play that got *****-slapped into gimmick status by NFL defenses. NFL Defenses would make a mockery out of the TO. NFL secondaries tackle better than 19-20 yr olds, NFL LBs are faster, NFL D-Linemen are faster, etc. Plus NFL WRs aren't getting paid to dive at knees nor do they want to do that too often.

Think of the drop-back NFL QBs. Brady, Ryan, Big Ben, et all ain't gonna be runnin' the TO! Let it go. It's over.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5954335/

I'm pretty sure I've seen Big Ben run an option play or 2 in goal line situations. Maybe on a 2-pt play during that playoff run a decade ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.