Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
It sounds like they are mostly going to bounce ideas off of CPJ. Probably getting his thoughts on strengths/weaknesses of certain plays that they want to install. Probably also looking for ideas or concepts that they may not have considered. They might talk a bit about methods for training the players to run the option plays, but I suspect that they’ll mostly stick to offensive design concepts.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like they are mostly going to bounce ideas off of CPJ. Probably getting his thoughts on strengths/weaknesses of certain plays that they want to install. Probably also looking for ideas or concepts that they may not have considered. They might talk a bit about methods for training the players to run the option plays, but I suspect that they’ll mostly stick to offensive design concepts.

Sounds alot like what Urban Meyer did when he was at Utah.

If they come out in spead though that would be something to see.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sounds alot like what Urban Meyer did when he was at Utah.

If they come out in spead though that would be something to see.
I've of two minds about something and would like opinions.

On the one hand, many of us would love to see a flex bone occasionally sprung on an unsuspecting team, whether Tech does this or an NFL team does this.

On the other hand, the reason CPJ was "stubborn" about sticking with the offense play after play was that each play, even if it gains nothing, sets up the next play both through subconscious influence on the defense and by showing how to adjust the blocking.

So what do you think? In this modern age of football is the spread option better as an occasional surprise or does it require a series or two to set up an effective pattern?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

On the one hand, many of us would love to see a flex bone occasionally sprung on an unsuspecting team, whether Tech does this or an NFL team does this.

On the other hand, the reason CPJ was "stubborn" about sticking with the offense play after play was that each play, even if it gains nothing, sets up the next play both through subconscious influence on the defense and by showing how to adjust the blocking.

So what do you think? In this modern age of football is the spread option better as an occasional surprise or does it require a series or two to set up an effective pattern?

I don't think it is "either or". I believe both the surprise version or the "set up" version could be effective. Now, keeping a QB healthy in the NFL where he gets hit a lot - not sure about that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it is "either or". I believe both the surprise version or the "set up" version could be effective. Now, keeping a QB healthy in the NFL where he gets hit a lot - not sure about that.
QB safety has been the concern for over 40 years. But we ARE seeing more running quarterbacks now so maybe the NFL will get less doctrinaire on this line.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
How hilarious would it be if the donor who is forcing Coach Coach to say we are "running a pro style offense" during every public interview, finally gets what he wishes for? The Ravens run the triple and we get to keep the wonderful offense that is currently being thrown away so that we can attract 2-3 more 4* recruits per year. Man I would love to see cgc's nasty defense with our old smash mouth offense. But alas, it's just not "cool enough"... Not yet anyway.

no one's running the TO in the NFL. From fears of high-paid QBs getting injured to faster Defense shutting off the corners to the study that shows that the new NFL No-Cut-Block-Rule likely does result in fewer knee injuries to defenders...owners across the NFL won't let their OCs run any more than a few plays/game. See "Wildcat formation", another formation/play that got *****-slapped into gimmick status by NFL defenses. NFL Defenses would make a mockery out of the TO. NFL secondaries tackle better than 19-20 yr olds, NFL LBs are faster, NFL D-Linemen are faster, etc. Plus NFL WRs aren't getting paid to dive at knees nor do they want to do that too often.

Think of the drop-back NFL QBs. Brady, Ryan, Big Ben, et all ain't gonna be runnin' the TO! Let it go. It's over.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5954335/

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
no one's running the TO in the NFL. From fears of high-paid QBs getting injured to faster Defense shutting off the corners to the study that shows that the new NFL No-Cut-Block-Rule likely does result in fewer knee injuries to defenders...owners across the NFL won't let their OCs run any more than a few plays/game. See "Wildcat formation", another formation/play that got *****-slapped into gimmick status by NFL defenses. NFL Defenses would make a mockery out of the TO. NFL secondaries tackle better than 19-20 yr olds, NFL LBs are faster, NFL D-Linemen are faster, etc. Plus NFL WRs aren't getting paid to dive at knees nor do they want to do that too often.

Think of the drop-back NFL QBs. Brady, Ryan, Big Ben, et all ain't gonna be runnin' the TO! Let it go. It's over.

But you also have better, bigger OL that can drive block, backs that are just as big a threat in the pass game as receivers, and QBs that can actually hit a wide open receiver.

I think the main reason is that it's not sexy and no one wants their $100 million QB getting hit all game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
But you also have better, bigger OL that can drive block, backs that are just as big a threat in the pass game as receivers, and QBs that can actually hit a wide open receiver.

I think the main reason is that it's not sexy and no one wants their $100 million QB getting hit all game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

But you also have extremely-relaxed rules for passing and catching and, like you said, those pesky knees of $100 million QBs. Plus, NFL OL personnel don't want to chop and flop the whole game. There's a prima donna aspect to this that shouldn't be ignored either and that goes double for NFL WRs. Add it all up and it spells one thing: The NFL won't be rushing out any versions of the TO anytime soon, no pun.

Deleted member 2897

I think its brilliant having CPJ and Sewak there together. You get 2 perspectives - whatever CPJ tells you, you should take seriously and figure out how to incorporate different parts of it. Whatever Sewak says, try to figure out how to do the exact opposite.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And then there's the issue of the NFL legislating to the point of sheer boredom. Some of us remember when every NFL team had a unique offense (think Packer sweep or Dallas multiple) or a unique defense (think Miami 54, Pittsburgh steel curtain or Kansas City bump and run).

NFL reached a point a few decades ago where it was not worth watching and most football fans in the south preferred the college game. Recently we were starting to see more variation and innovation. Hope we don't return to set formulas punctuated by individual star performers. I prefer the "team" in team sports.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

You linked something on chop blocks not cut blocks. Chop blocks are also banned at the college level and have been.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Georgia Southern uses it for the rocket series and the play action off of it. as well as the midline.

I'd like to see us keep it for that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
But you also have extremely-relaxed rules for passing and catching and, like you said, those pesky knees of $100 million QBs. Plus, NFL OL personnel don't want to chop and flop the whole game. There's a prima donna aspect to this that shouldn't be ignored either and that goes double for NFL WRs. Add it all up and it spells one thing: The NFL won't be rushing out any versions of the TO anytime soon, no pun.
Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks say hello. So does Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.

Russell runs double option plays all the time. And no surprise; he's extremely good at it. Same story for Lamar Jackson. Paul is an obvious source for these teams and others (see Belichek, Bill).

True, they don't run the spread option. Yet.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You linked something on chop blocks not cut blocks. Chop blocks are also banned at the college level and have been.

I’m not anti-cut block but I fail to see how getting hit below the waist more would not result in more lower body injuries.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I’m not anti-cut block but I fail to see how getting hit below the waist more would not result in more lower body injuries.
There're a few studies on chop blocks and there does seem to be good evidence that banning them does lead to reduction of risks for knee injuries, though the reduction is a lot smaller then one might expect. (See https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967118768446, for example.) This is probably due to the large number of knee injuries in football that are non-contact; the knee wasn't meant to change directions quickly.

I looked around, but I couldn't find anything much on cut blocks except that some people don't like them and fear they lead to knee injuries. Problem = there doesn't seem to be any systematic evidence one way or the other. The pros don't like them, but they didn't have any actual data when they considered rule changes on this and nobody else seems to either. Soooooo … my guess is that they stay and will be used by every team in college football, like they are today. Until someone proves otherwise, that is.

herb

Helluva Engineer
There're a few studies on chop blocks and there does seem to be good evidence that banning them does lead to reduction of risks for knee injuries, though the reduction is a lot smaller then one might expect. (See https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325967118768446, for example.) This is probably due to the large number of knee injuries in football that are non-contact; the knee wasn't meant to change directions quickly.

I looked around, but I couldn't find anything much on cut blocks except that some people don't like them and fear they lead to knee injuries. Problem = there doesn't seem to be any systematic evidence one way or the other. The pros don't like them, but they didn't have any actual data when they considered rule changes on this and nobody else seems to either. Soooooo … my guess is that they stay and will be used by every team in college football, like they are today. Until someone proves otherwise, that is.

Cut blocks are not (at least within the tackle box), and have never been illegal. Chop blocks are illegal and have been for some time. They are quite different animals, though the chop block does sometimes contain a cut block. I agree with many that we appeared to cut, sometimes unsuccessfully (and ended up diving) more than one would like (at least more than I would like). But every offense uses it, granted some much more than others

Status
Not open for further replies.