Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It isn’t uncommon for CPJ to consult with NFL teams. From my limited knowledge his past contributions were mainly defensive in nature. He assisted both the Falcons and the Patriots a few years ago on defending the zone read. Now I suppose the Ravens could be talking to him about run concepts since CPJ has a ton of experience in that area, but it is anyone’s guess.

CPJ was asked a lot if he thought his offense would work in the NFL. His answer was always yes, but he would have to throw the ball a lot more. He said NFL QBs would not opt to run the ball as many times as needed and the defenses would force the QB to keep it since most defenses would not be burned by the QB from a size/speed standpoint like they are in college.

If CPJ became an OC for the NFL it would be fun to watch, but the offense would probably look a lot different. He was a great offensive mind and I have enjoyed his tenure at GT. I am also hopeful that CGC has tremendous success at GT. He has a good (not great) roster, so it will be interesting to see how many wins this season will bring.
This is the kind of post I was looking forward to seeing more of before certain people wanted to turn it into a referendum on CPJ.

Option football was an early innovation in football and has had many iterations. From Rockne to Dodd new wrinkles were added that have become standard plays in the offensive arsenal. Other innovations have come and gone and come back again. The NFL has kept a close eye on this for as long as I can remember and often experimented, either in practice, exhibition games, or in adding something unexpected to their play book.

I would have liked to have heard more reporting on what CPJ was helping with this time. Instead we started getting snide remarks about how little he was probably doing, on the one hand, or how pitiful the Ravens were or were going to be if they followed his advice. Thus a potentially fun and intriguing thread became a place for some to trol CPJ.

I say if we can't stay on topic and we keep re litigating fan complaints from the last 11 years then we shut this one down. But then I would love for someone to start a new thread about how the NFL is once again looking for a competitive edge by bringing in a coach from the college game where all innovation starts.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It’s just crazy to me that there’s still a vocal contingent of GT fans who just salivate at the thought of diminishing our accomplishments over the past decade to try to dunk on our old coach. I really think there’s a certain segment of the fan base that hates the fact we didn’t get to fire him (even though that would have financially screwed us over) and so keeps trying to argue for it.
Also, cut blocks are no dirtier than tackles below the waist (I don’t care what a couple bitter coaches have said, there are plenty more other great coaches out there who flat out disagree). The “Wildcat” offense fizzled our because teams were putting RBs under center, completely removing the downfield threat. If you have an athletic QB who can give a legitimate passing threat, defenses have to stay honest for fear of getting burnt deep. With a legit passing threat, you can still take advantage of the rule changes that favor the passing game, just on fewer, bigger shots. An option based offense run by a QB who’s a legit running and passing threat would absolutely be able to succeed in the league.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It’s just crazy to me that there’s still a vocal contingent of GT fans who just salivate at the thought of diminishing our accomplishments over the past decade to try to dunk on our old coach. I really think there’s a certain segment of the fan base that hates the fact we didn’t get to fire him (even though that would have financially screwed us over) and so keeps trying to argue for it.
Also, cut blocks are no dirtier than tackles below the waist (I don’t care what a couple bitter coaches have said, there are plenty more other great coaches out there who flat out disagree). The “Wildcat” offense fizzled our because teams were putting RBs under center, completely removing the downfield threat. If you have an athletic QB who can give a legitimate passing threat, defenses have to stay honest for fear of getting burnt deep. With a legit passing threat, you can still take advantage of the rule changes that favor the passing game, just on fewer, bigger shots. An option based offense run by a QB who’s a legit running and passing threat would absolutely be able to succeed in the league.
If one watches any amount of college football then it is readily apparent that every team on TV cut blocks. More or less, on LOS or deeper, run side or weak side, all may differ. They all do it. Including the whiners who played us. The whiners are making early excuses, and farming the officials get calls. One would be hard pressed to find a half dozen examples of injuries due to cutting over a decade of Johnson at GT. (And right now the best at it is Army, coached by Monken, national coach of the year in all but award only the past three years.)

Deleted member 2897

If one watches any amount of college football then it is readily apparent that every team on TV cut blocks. More or less, on LOS or deeper, run side or weak side, all may differ. They all do it. Including the whiners who played us. The whiners are making early excuses, and farming the officials get calls. One would be hard pressed to find a half dozen examples of injuries due to cutting over a decade of Johnson at GT. (And right now the best at it is Army, coached by Monken, national coach of the year in all but award only the past three years.)

This. And the amazing thing is apparently tons of coaches complain about us and tell the Refs to watch us super carefully...yet despite the extra attention on us, we are year in and year out one of the least penalized teams in the nation. So you could actually make a defensible argument that we're one of the least dirty, least dangerous teams in the country.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I understand the tactical advantage but reality is there is no QB that could stand up to the pounding he would take. Think about it, Cam Newton, who might be the prototype of a Qb who can pass but can actually run the ball effectively can’t take the punishment of what he’s already called upon to do. In a theoretical sense and maybe for a short duration I do believe the TO would work in the NFL. But not for long. That’s why I don’t think we will ever see it except maybe as a small handful of plays in short yardage or something like that. The RPO is different and can limit what the QB does from a running standpoint. To the original topic though I believe Paul is a genius in the running game so it doesn’t surprise me at all that pro coaches would want to pick his brain. But that doesn’t mean they want to run the option.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I understand the tactical advantage but reality is there is no QB that could stand up to the pounding he would take. Think about it, Cam Newton, who might be the prototype of a Qb who can pass but can actually run the ball effectively can’t take the punishment of what he’s already called upon to do. In a theoretical sense and maybe for a short duration I do believe the TO would work in the NFL. But not for long. That’s why I don’t think we will ever see it except maybe as a small handful of plays in short yardage or something like that. The RPO is different and can limit what the QB does from a running standpoint. To the original topic though I believe Paul is a genius in the running game so it doesn’t surprise me at all that pro coaches would want to pick his brain. But that doesn’t mean they want to run the option.
When I talked about an "option based offense" succeeding in the NFL, I'm not talking about running straight up flexbone based option as consistently as we did, but just an offense predicated on various option plays from a variety of formations. You can run option concepts from the flexbone as well as 4 wide sets...just bring a WR in motion behind the QB and he basically becomes an AB. You have that threat, along with the threat of getting burned deep, and you can really get a defense on their heels to the point where they can't just try and "kill the QB". I don't expect the Ravens to come out lined up in our old sets, but I don't think it's crazy to think they'll incorporate some elements of what we used to do.
That said, no team can expect to succeed running a single series/formation regardless of what type of offense they're utilizing. Variety is key.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This. And the amazing thing is apparently tons of coaches complain about us and tell the Refs to watch us super carefully...yet despite the extra attention on us, we are year in and year out one of the least penalized teams in the nation. So you could actually make a defensible argument that we're one of the least dirty, least dangerous teams in the country.
So glad you reminded us about Tech's record of being one of the least penalized teams. An important data point when talking " dirty " football.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When I talked about an "option based offense" succeeding in the NFL, I'm not talking about running straight up flexbone based option as consistently as we did, but just an offense predicated on various option plays from a variety of formations. You can run option concepts from the flexbone as well as 4 wide sets...just bring a WR in motion behind the QB and he basically becomes an AB. You have that threat, along with the threat of getting burned deep, and you can really get a defense on their heels to the point where they can't just try and "kill the QB". I don't expect the Ravens to come out lined up in our old sets, but I don't think it's crazy to think they'll incorporate some elements of what we used to do.
That said, no team can expect to succeed running a single series/formation regardless of what type of offense they're utilizing. Variety is key.
I think most of us who like option football were looking at it the same way you are. Dodd's belly series simply became a set play in the arsenal of teams that were borrowing from here and there.

Every time it looks like the NFL is through with running quarterbacks they seem to make a comeback. If there is one constant in football it is that offensive philosophy never stays the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.