Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've always felt CPJ could do well in the NFL. For the most part, players don't really choose who they play for the first 3-5 years of their careers, and NFL jobs are scarce (and lucrative). It's not like college where kids can pick and choose where they go. Guys who wouldn't play for CPJ in college would have no choice, or the alternative is not have an NFL job. Plus, I've always felt CPJ had the personal makeup of an NFL coach that players would respect: Honest, respects each players personal business, and treats everyone the same.

In terms of X's and O's, with all the teams going to basically a spread offense with NFL talent, and defenses getting lighter to defend those offenses...how much fun do you think it would be for CPJ to play smash mouth against those guys? Now he's got talent on the OL that's more equal to the talent on the opposing DL than he did in college.

I hope the Ravens install some of CPJ's offense...especially with Lamar Jackson's speed and talent. That would be fun to watch.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Several pro teams experimented with the wishbone in the late 60's early 70's. But only in practice. Vince Lombardi was once asked what would happen if an opposing team ran the wishbone against his team. He responded, "We would be embarrassed."

The reason in the past that the NFL didn't convert to an option offense was they said they couldn't risk their million dollar franchise quarterbacks. Now with more teams running RPO it is clear that quarterbacks are not quite as fragile as once thought.

It would shake up the football world if a team started running some serious option plays.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Several pro teams experimented with the wishbone in the late 60's early 70's. But only in practice. Vince Lombardi was once asked what would happen if an opposing team ran the wishbone against his team. He responded, "We would be embarrassed."

The reason in the past that the NFL didn't convert to an option offense was they said they couldn't risk their million dollar franchise quarterbacks. Now with more teams running RPO it is clear that quarterbacks are not quite as fragile as once thought.

It would shake up the football world if a team started running some serious option plays.
The chiefs did last year. Could probably do some with Lamar Jackson

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
How hilarious would it be if the donor who is forcing Coach Coach to say we are "running a pro style offense" during every public interview, finally gets what he wishes for? The Ravens run the triple and we get to keep the wonderful offense that is currently being thrown away so that we can attract 2-3 more 4* recruits per year. Man I would love to see cgc's nasty defense with our old smash mouth offense. But alas, it's just not "cool enough"... Not yet anyway.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
How hilarious would it be if the donor who is forcing Coach Coach to say we are "running a pro style offense" during every public interview, finally gets what he wishes for? The Ravens run the triple and we get to keep the wonderful offense that is currently being thrown away so that we can attract 2-3 more 4* recruits per year. Man I would love to see cgc's nasty defense with our old smash mouth offense. But alas, it's just not "cool enough"... Not yet anyway.
:rolleyes:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Unless I am missing something, PJ retired on us. He was not fired. It was his choice. Now we could have tried to hire another TO coach to replace him but not a lot of those guys around outside of the academies and those schools recruit a different type of kid than the factories.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Has nothing to do with cool man. IF the Ravens or any other team went to the true triple option as a base offense they would be crushed. Maybe they surprise a few teams at first but that would be it. PJ is a run game expert but the Ravens will still be a RPO team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Has nothing to do with cool man. IF the Ravens or any other team went to the true triple option as a base offense they would be crushed. Maybe they surprise a few teams at first but that would be it. PJ is a run game expert but the Ravens will still be a RPO team.
Point of order.

PJ ran a flex offense. Straight option plays were run about 30% of the time. I would assume the Ravens are just looking at adding a particular option package.

As for PJ just working with the QB to teach him how to read, that's below his pay grade. He had other coaches to do that. No, this is probably a little more sophisticated than that. Intriguing though and fun to speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.