Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
If Coach Nate Woody follows Scott Satterfield to North Carolina (it's rumored that UNC will hire Scott Satterfield) who would y'all want for the next GT defensive coordinator? In that situation i would like Paul to talk to UCF defensive coordinator Randy Shannon,Bob Shoop of Mississippi State or Todd Grantham of Florida.

I want to unlink this so much. And shut the hell up about loosing what is looking to be a good DC. :)

herb

Helluva Engineer
Athens is a fantastic college town. It’s obvious if you can take of the gold colored glasses. It is nothing like Lubbock.

This. Athens is a great place. It has everything basically one could want and is not too big. A lot of kids don’t want to come to Atlanta. It is a recruiting plus, and certainly nothing like Lubbock

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If Coach Nate Woody follows Scott Satterfield to North Carolina (it's rumored that UNC will hire Scott Satterfield) who would y'all want for the next GT defensive coordinator? In that situation i would like Paul to talk to UCF defensive coordinator Randy Shannon,Bob Shoop of Mississippi State or Todd Grantham of Florida.
I don't see Coach Woody moving on after all it was only he first year,

But I have a question and I know it won't answered here I'll try.

Unless I missed it I don't remember Coach Woody doing an interview after the season started > It seem like Coach Roof did interviews after the games and during spring practice. Have I missed them ? Anyone know what if he hasn't why not ?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't see Coach Woody moving on after all it was only he first year,

But I have a question and I know it won't answered here I'll try.

Unless I missed it I don't remember Coach Woody doing an interview after the season started > It seem like Coach Roof did interviews after the games and during spring practice. Have I missed them ? Anyone know what if he hasn't why not ?

At some point, I think it was early last season or maybe the year before. CPJ stopped the Assistant Coaches talking to the media on record. IIRC there was an instance of a 'journalist' asking CPJ a question, not getting the answer the wanted, then asking CTR the same question and printing CTR's answer instead. CPJ said something along the lines of there was going to be one voice for the staff from then on since the media had tried to play the 'Well, Dad says...' game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
At some point, I think it was early last season or maybe the year before. CPJ stopped the Assistant Coaches talking to the media on record. IIRC there was an instance of a 'journalist' asking CPJ a question, not getting the answer the wanted, then asking CTR the same question and printing CTR's answer instead. CPJ said something along the lines of there was going to be one voice for the staff from then on since the media had tried to play the 'Well, Dad says...' game.
Thanks

Eli

Helluva Engineer
He is only stating a very likely scenario. You are all crazy to think that Woody hasn't had second thoughts about being here. It's not easy to recruit or coach at GT.

UNC would be a huge upgrade for him. Much easier job. More money.

Woody is very loyal from what I can tell from his coaching stints. I think he is the type that wants to see things through.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Folks ... Georgia Tech is one of the Top 50 STEM universities in the world and still able to field a D1 football program. Caltech can’t. MIT can’t. Carnegie Mellon can’t.

A winning percentage of 0.600 places GT in a Top 25 program. That’s 7-8 wins per year and doable. A breakout year every 4 years ... and you win 10.

Look at Tennessee. Top 5 facilities. Top 5 fan base. And they won fewer games than GT.

We should be proud of where we are at. Its pointless to compare ourselves to Alabama or Clemson ... those are $150 million programs. With athletes that can’t spell C-A-T.
If you average 7 wins per season with the occasional 10 win season, doesn’t that allow for the occasional 4 win season?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Still don’t get all the defense love. Yes, we forced or lucked into a ton of turnovers this year. But we still gave up 4 more points per game than we did last year while finishing number 79 in the nation in scoring defense, last year we were in the 60s. Logic tells me our scoring D should improve not decline while tripling our turnovers forced???

Now what the hell is gonna happen to our pathetic scoring D when the turnovers dry up as they’re bound to? Woody still has a lot to prove imo. Oh, and we lose our entire starting DL. Good luck with that.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Still don’t get all the defense love. Yes, we forced or lucked into a ton of turnovers this year. But we still gave up 4 more points per game than we did last year while finishing number 79 in the nation in scoring defense, last year we were in the 60s. Logic tells me our scoring D should improve not decline while tripling our turnovers forced???

Now what the hell is gonna happen to our pathetic scoring D when the turnovers dry up as they’re bound to? Woody still has a lot to prove imo. Oh, and we lose our entire starting DL. Good luck with that.

I think most are looking at it subjectively. Defense had a couple nice halves and key plays that seemed to help us win a couple games whereas the offense had some real stinkers against Pitt and Duke, our two costliest losses. Nearly shut out for an entire game between those two combined. Last year, it seemed more like the losses were almost always on the defense. Think "bubble screen of doom". Agree the defense has a long way to go and I dunno how to fix it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don’t think he’s a great coach either, but you have clearly never been to Lubbock. It’s not a push.

Tech has some major advantages in recruiting to go with the academic disadvantage. Our insecure fan base likes to cling to the negative as a defense mechanism.

I've been to Lubbock. Granted, it's desolate, but the academic hurdles at TT are non-existent. They are also in Texas, which is an even more talent rich state than GA. I'd still call it a push, and even if it's a bit tougher, they have still nowhere the success we've had so I fail to see why we'd praise their recruiting of all things...

Status
Not open for further replies.