Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Kliff Kingsbury, lol... Coach Bro is actually the perfect example of why blaming the option makes no sense.

Nobody throws more than Texas Tech... why are they 4-8? 5-7? 6-7? Etc. They have a high flying offense, score points, etc. Why can't they beat good teams?

The answer is simple.... there is a talent gap in college football, a big one, and there are those who have it and those who do not. Mike Leach and Paul Johnson probably do more with less than anyone in college football. I would throw Mike Gundy into that mix as well..

Fan expectations are out of control.. OU recruits exclusively 5 star players, keeps sending guys to the NFL year after year, winning Heisman trophies, etc.. They are going on 20 years without a championship.

For 98% of college football, it ain't gonna happen.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Kliff's record as a HC
8-5
4-8
7-6
5-7
6-7
5-7
Without cupcakes, he was like 19-35 in conference play. I cannot see him as a legitimate head coaching candidate right now, but I wish we could bring him in as a QB coach, co-offensive coordinator. Lol

Honestly, if you are interested in Kingsbury for head coach, just go all the way and get the real deal in Mike Leach. He has taken WSU as far as they can go.

Last edited:

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Last years recruiting class at Texas Tech was ranked in the 70's, and he's normally in the same ballpark as CPJs recruiting classes. In Texas. In a school without near the academic hurdles. Not hanging my hat on his recruiting ability. His offense is exciting, but it didn't win him enough games to stay a head coach though....

I know Tech fans think we are the only place that’s hard to recruit to, but Lubbock is in the middle of nowhere and 1000 miles from nowhere.

Probably easier to recruit here than there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I know Tech fans think we are the only place that’s hard to recruit to, but Lubbock is in the middle of nowhere and 1000 miles from nowhere.

Probably easier to recruit here than there.

Keep telling yourself that. Let's say it's a push, and they're equally hard to recruit to. He has a success rate equal to or worse than CPJ during his tenure there. Again, that's not indicative of a great recruiter. With his best season being 8-5 in the Big-12, where they don't play defense, I am not convinced he's a great coach either.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Keep telling yourself that. Let's say it's a push, and they're equally hard to recruit to. He has a success rate equal to or worse than CPJ during his tenure there. Again, that's not indicative of a great recruiter. With his best season being 8-5 in the Big-12, where they don't play defense, I am not convinced he's a great coach either.

I don’t think he’s a great coach either, but you have clearly never been to Lubbock. It’s not a push.

Tech has some major advantages in recruiting to go with the academic disadvantage. Our insecure fan base likes to cling to the negative as a defense mechanism.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Most of UGA’s players only go to class because they have to. They only pick a major because they have to. These people have one focus/drive in life and that’s football. If they don’t make the NFL they have no backup plan. They are extremely good at football and it is their entire life plan.

I wish more attention was brought to what happens to the vast majority that don’t go pro, but nobody cares about that or it makes them feel uncomfortable.
Every 4-5 star knows they are going to the NFL and won’t be riding the bench anywhere.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he’s a great coach either, but you have clearly never been to Lubbock. It’s not a push.

Tech has some major advantages in recruiting to go with the academic disadvantage. Our insecure fan base likes to cling to the negative as a defense mechanism.

Amen to some clinging to the negative as a defensive mechanism.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The problem is not just with CPJ or his offense. The problem is with GT. The academic restrictions, the curriculum, the size of the student body (and hence the derivative alumni base for contributions), so many things are holding us way, way behind the rest of the college football world.

First, GT needs to decide what they want to be. If that decision has been made (and it may well have been) then the GT fanbase needs to decide whether to stick with a program that will annually be in the Top 50, not the Top 20, and will occasionally have a breakthrough season but often will flail against good teams.

Firing CPJ isn't honestly isn't going to solve a thing.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you are a fan who thinks Tech can recruit with uga and Clemson and get an equal share of the 4* and 5* players in Georgia, I would like to hear how it would happen. The thing that worries me right now is that I think we are on the verge of falling behind the middle of the ACC. The latest 247 recruiting rankings has us 10th in the ACC. If we were in the SEC we would be in last place by a huge margin.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The problem is not just with CPJ or his offense. The problem is with GT. The academic restrictions, the curriculum, the size of the student body (and hence the derivative alumni base for contributions), so many things are holding us way, way behind the rest of the college football world.

First, GT needs to decide what they want to be. If that decision has been made (and it may well have been) then the GT fanbase needs to decide whether to stick with a program that will annually be in the Top 50, not the Top 20, and will occasionally have a breakthrough season but often will flail against good teams.

Firing CPJ isn't honestly isn't going to solve a thing.
Firing CPJ will stop 25% of the bitching. The others that want him gone will ***** more when we end up with someone that’s not good enough for them and they’ll ***** about that. 25% of the non-bitchers will start bitching the moment the replacement loses to pick your random ACC team that we should beat. 25% will ***** about the bitchers regardless of what side they’re bitching about. They just like to ***** because that’s what we did for 5 years at Ma Tech and we’re engineers so it comes second nature. Did I get everyone?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If you are a fan who thinks Tech can recruit with uga and Clemson and get an equal share of the 4* and 5* players in Georgia, I would like to hear how it would happen. The thing that worries me right now is that I think we are on the verge of falling behind the middle of the ACC. The latest 247 recruiting rankings has us 10th in the ACC. If we were in the SEC we would be in last place by a huge margin.
I don't disagree with this. If we had beaten Duke and or Pitt and USF, most of us would be satisfied even though we are still only the #45 team in America.

northgajacket

Banned

Actually 11th in the ACC, only UNC, Syracuse and Louisville are ranked lower.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The "missed assignment" excuse is another way of saying that Tech is not big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to make up for the mistakes that happen on most every play. Kirby was ranting all game long about their mistakes yet they beat us like a drum.
I would point out to you without necessarily disagreeing with all of your assessment, that Brent Venables was raging about the same things in a game Clemson won by three TDs, but gave up four scores and 500 yards passing to USC. Generally Clemson is surely considered to be big, fast and strong enough to compete with anybody. And got themselves in a track meet against a 6-4 team.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, in your opinion, when would be theright time? One more year? two more years,3 more years, or just let pj pick the time? Meanwhile we continue to sink lower &lower, fan attendance average 20,000 , 6 & 6 , 7 & 5 seasons considered great?
Boy, aren't you glum today?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Good point. I just don't see where TStan would need any input from CPJ on filling his job.
Generally you are on the money. Asking the guy leaving who should replace him is problematic at best. Sometimes you get the outlier though: Bowden suggested Swinney, although the AD at the time had already decided on him.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
WE have clem and uga EVERY yr so really 2 losses off the bat.We are not in their league.So throw out the cupcakes and measure success vs our peers.This yr we beat "projected betters in vt and uM.We lost to a lesser- usf.So vs the rest is our measurement.
Interesting to see if next yr is better.Doubtful. 5 Srs on def and Off gone..

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
The reality is that schools like UGA, Alabama, Ohio State Clemson etc make it pretty damn hard to be competitive at their level unless the school is willing to put in the resources. Think about it you have pretty much the same 5-6 schools year after year in the top 5 hunting for a NC. With the ACC Clemson has all but guaranteed themselves an ACC championship year after year . Its not always fun when the barriers to the top 5 now are so hard to achieve . If Tech wants to be competitive with the likes we gotta make some changes at the school level, not just coaching. If we want to at least be competitive with the other schools in the ACC aside from Clemson then we make changes accordingly. And its not like we are the only school in NCAA football or the ACC that is in this position. Many other schools are stuck in that middle mediocre range. As others have said, its all about what we want to be. UGA chose to make a change in coaching staff and resources to compete at the higher level and its already paying off for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.